kittyrat234

Confused re: timeframe and steps after Packet 3 - Montreal Processing

7 posts in this topic

Background: Husband and I initially filed our 130 almost two years ago now, but we had to delay due to the residency requirement and a change in our family status (three kids in three years. The perpetually pregnant woman couldn't really do a cross-border move.) We have now submitted our packet 3 to Montreal two weeks ago. We had our old letter from early 2009 before the electronic processing came into effect so we followed the old directions of sending in the documents and checklist through the mail.

What I think is true: If I understand correctly, people have experienced a 6 week wait time between the time that they have mailed off their information and when they receive their packet 4. Once you have packet 4 (or an email?), you can go to the new website to book your appointment. Appointments are generally booked out for two months. During the interim, you go for your medical. On the day of the appointment, you pay your $404, bring ?? documentation, and an express envelope. You then go home and wait for them to express mail your passport back to you. Once you have it, you do your entry to the US and can start to work as soon as you have your SSN.

What do I have right and what do I have wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry but K-1 book appointment on the website.

Not IR-1 CR-1 they get appointments booked for them.

IR-1 CR-1 must choose a DHL location to pick up their visa and packets from after a successful interview. They can also pay online for the fee.

Montreal is extremely backlogged and is the only embassy in Canada that does spousal visas. You can expect quite a long wait.

Edit to add - no more express post is accepted. ONLY DHL.

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am american my husband is canadian. I booked my appointment on line. It's the new way. I did a I 130 then they sent me the info and I sent that back with the checklist, then i got a note that I can book my appt on line and choose my DHL.

You must bring all the copies of the stuff you brought for the I130 and more pics and a police clearance. Do that as soon as you book appt it can take 2 -4 weeks and you need it for every place the immigrant lived since 16 years of age. Plus vacinations depending on age.

You need originals and if any are in any language other than english you need official certified translations of the documents.

Marriage license,

birth certificate (for both of you)

divorce decrees for both of you if any

police certificate for the immigrant

proof of redomicle

US tax returns

medical (with vacinations/boosters etc) you might want to get titre testing

Affidavit of support and proof with either income tax and or assets

Copies of some of the above as they keep the copies and give back the originals

and picture

and yes you pay 404 $ for the immigrant. Are your kids US citizens???

I didn't have kids so i have no clue about that

go to Canadians waiting for DCF and read through it, there is a lot of good info

Yikes! We filed our I-130 back in 2009. I don't remember what we brought. All the required documents, plus pictures and records of trips and phone conversations, but I don't have them any more. It was a huge stack. Well, we will do our best.

We will bring our living proof - three year old, two year old and baby, with lots of family pictures.

All three kids are registered US citizens. Just my husband needs documentation to the come to the US.

I sent my I-864, proof of domicile and police certificates already with my packet 3 as that was what our instructions said to do. So, that should be all cleared away already. The only thing that we don't have yet is the medical exam. We are getting my husband's immunization record for the medical as well and then will be all set once we get our letter.

We had planned on just him going to Montreal, but it's probably best that we all go now based on what I've read. We should be really straight forward. First marriages, three kids, married for five years, known each other for over ten, and living in Canada together since a few months after we got married. That will be fun. Little family trip.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If the USC is living in Canada and has been for a while, you will need proof of Domicile or you will be RFEd and turned away without the visa.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Yep, thank you. I sent it in already. I have a job in the States. We are moving back to where my corporate office is located and to be close to my family. Before the interview, we will enroll the kids in preschool and hopefully, have some solid leads on houses.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi I don't think you need the pics from when you met etc. I think you have been married 5 years and kids.

But I would be prepared with all the stuff even if you sent it in. I really would go with it too.

In our packet we were told what to bring. We didn't mail anything back other than the forms that were required and the checklist that we had the documents.

They took it on the interview. I would go prepared with it. You don't want to be turned away just becuase you didn't bring it again.

Most people here will say bring everything even if you think you don't need it.

Now I don't mean pics of when you met etc. but I brought the following:

US income tax (even if it had -0- income I filed and brought it) and yes they wanted it and took it

hubby's birth certificate with certified translations

medical

divorce decree with certified translations

passport size pics

police clearance certificate for every place your hubby lived since he was 16. I was lucky mine only lived in one city his whole life

affidavit of support

and proof to go with it.

proof of domicile

and copies of everything

passport

interview letter (showing date and time)

cash or credit card for the fees

there is a whole list that you get with packet 4 and I would bring everything even if you sent it in just to be safe.

I'm sure I left out some stuff now.

good luck

Edited by housewife

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.