ronalyn

how can you say that a marriage is in good faith?

8 posts in this topic

hello guys! VisaJourney has been of great help to me when I was still in the Philippines;been here in the US for almost 10mos now. I even met friends here which I still communicate with even if we're staying from different states here in the US.

Anyway, I just want to know how will you say or consider that a marriage is entered in "good faith"? WHat are the factors that shows it or that need to be considered. I will really appreciate your answers. Thank you and God bless!

Rwatson :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

mmm marriage in good faith for me is that when you truly love the man you choosed to marry, in your own will in the eyes of the people around you and in the eyes of God. and of course with legal documents and without devious and scheming motives. that you will be there for better or for worst. it is to wanting to establish an honest and harmonious relationship in your marriage.

in addition:

PROVING YOU HAVE A "GOOD FAITH" MARRIAGE

When a foreign national has married a United States citizen, that person can file for lawful permanent residency. If the foreign national made a lawful entry into the United States, even though they may no longer be legally present, they can adjust status which simply means they can obtain their residency without leaving the United States.

If you are fortunate enough to be in the final stages of adjusting your status based on marriage to a United States citizen, the final step in the adjustment of status process will be an interview with an officer of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) at a USCIS field office- in Utah that would be in Salt Lake City.

One of the issues that will be most closely scrutinized will be whether your marriage was entered into in "good faith". If the officer concludes that the marriage was entered into solely to obtain immigration benefits (i.e. a "green card") and that it is not a "real" marriage, a determination of marriage fraud will be made and the application will be denied.

So at the interview, you and your United States citizen spouse must be prepared to convince the interviewing USCIS officer that your marriage is a "good faith" marriage. The USCIS officer will want to see a great deal of documentation. What follows are examples of the kind of documentation the officer will be looking for. You may not have all the items mentioned, but you should provide as many as possible. Do not make the mistake of underestimating the importance of providing all that you possibly can! The USCIS takes the possibility of marriage fraud very, very seriously.

Evidence of the marriage itself. You will want to supply some evidence of the marriage itself, things like wedding announcements and pictures of the ceremony and any reception.

You will also need evidence that the marital relationship has continued, that you are indeed living together as husband and wife, that you have truly joined your lives together.

Documents showing joint ownership or responsibility: There are a large variety of documents you may want to consider, things like titles to property, utility bills, rental leases or home ownership documents. The important thing is that the documents show that the property or liability is jointly owned or held.

Documents showing commingling or sharing of financial resources: The USCIS interviewer will want to see evidence that you have shared financial resources, things like joint bank accounts, credit cards, insurance etc. Once again, the key is to have documentation showing that financial matters are indeed shared.

http://www.keenlegal.com/Articles/How-Do-I-Prove-a-Good-Faith-Marriage.shtml

hello guys! VisaJourney has been of great help to me when I was still in the Philippines;been here in the US for almost 10mos now. I even met friends here which I still communicate with even if we're staying from different states here in the US.

Anyway, I just want to know how will you say or consider that a marriage is entered in "good faith"? WHat are the factors that shows it or that need to be considered. I will really appreciate your answers. Thank you and God bless!

Edited by iheartseptember

Thank iheart! I really appreciate your answer. God bless!

mmm marriage in good faith for me is that when you truly love the man you choosed to marry, in your own will in the eyes of the people around you and in the eyes of God. and of course with legal documents and without devious and scheming motives. that you will be there for better or for worst. it is to wanting to establish an honest and harmonious relationship in your marriage.

in addition:

PROVING YOU HAVE A "GOOD FAITH" MARRIAGE

When a foreign national has married a United States citizen, that person can file for lawful permanent residency. If the foreign national made a lawful entry into the United States, even though they may no longer be legally present, they can adjust status which simply means they can obtain their residency without leaving the United States.

If you are fortunate enough to be in the final stages of adjusting your status based on marriage to a United States citizen, the final step in the adjustment of status process will be an interview with an officer of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) at a USCIS field office- in Utah that would be in Salt Lake City.

One of the issues that will be most closely scrutinized will be whether your marriage was entered into in "good faith". If the officer concludes that the marriage was entered into solely to obtain immigration benefits (i.e. a "green card") and that it is not a "real" marriage, a determination of marriage fraud will be made and the application will be denied.

So at the interview, you and your United States citizen spouse must be prepared to convince the interviewing USCIS officer that your marriage is a "good faith" marriage. The USCIS officer will want to see a great deal of documentation. What follows are examples of the kind of documentation the officer will be looking for. You may not have all the items mentioned, but you should provide as many as possible. Do not make the mistake of underestimating the importance of providing all that you possibly can! The USCIS takes the possibility of marriage fraud very, very seriously.

Evidence of the marriage itself. You will want to supply some evidence of the marriage itself, things like wedding announcements and pictures of the ceremony and any reception.

You will also need evidence that the marital relationship has continued, that you are indeed living together as husband and wife, that you have truly joined your lives together.

Documents showing joint ownership or responsibility: There are a large variety of documents you may want to consider, things like titles to property, utility bills, rental leases or home ownership documents. The important thing is that the documents show that the property or liability is jointly owned or held.

Documents showing commingling or sharing of financial resources: The USCIS interviewer will want to see evidence that you have shared financial resources, things like joint bank accounts, credit cards, insurance etc. Once again, the key is to have documentation showing that financial matters are indeed shared.

http://www.keenlegal.com/Articles/How-Do-I-Prove-a-Good-Faith-Marriage.shtml

Meaning u entered the US to marry the person who filed the petition for you and that u are here to love him, build a family and share ur life with him for better or for worst and not just for green card purposes.

thank you "happyme!" I appreciate your answer. God bless! I am just asking this because I havent visited the forum for quite sometime and I read topics about good faith marriage and I just want to know more. THANKS!

Meaning u entered the US to marry the person who filed the petition for you and that u are here to love him, build a family and share ur life with him for better or for worst and not just for green card purposes.

Filed: Country:
Timeline

You do know that unless you are planning to divorce your husband prior to Removal of Conditions there should be no concern proving you entered the marriage in good faith. For ROC while still married you just need to prove bona fide marriage which is usually done showing co-mingling of finances, co-habitation & other things that demonstrate your lives are intertwined.

hello Bob! thanks for the answer.... nope, I have no plans of divorcing my husband. I am just really asking. :)

You do know that unless you are planning to divorce your husband prior to Removal of Conditions there should be no concern proving you entered the marriage in good faith. For ROC while still married you just need to prove bona fide marriage which is usually done showing co-mingling of finances, co-habitation & other things that demonstrate your lives are intertwined.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.