Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Applying for k-1 fiancé visa

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,

Here is my dilemma, I am American and I am going to marry a canadian. I was married for 11 years my soon to be ex-wife and I are waiting to get before a judge and have him sigh the divorce papers. We currently live in Michigan and the divorce laws here are a mandatory wait of 6 months (if you have kids involved) before you can get a judge to review and sign. The process is already two months in so we have another 4 to go before the judge can grant our divorce. The girl I am going to marry lives in canada. Is there any way we can start this k-1 process even though my divorce papers aren't completed yet, because from the sounds of it they seem to drag there feet with this whole visa process and I don't want to wait 4 months just to start the process.

Any advice for this matter would be greatly appriciated

Thanks in advance

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

No, you have to be free to marry to qualify for a K-1 visa which you are not. You can in the meantime get all your paperwork and info together and check and double check it to make sure it is correct to have a more streamlined process.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.


ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be free to marry, must have a copy of the divorce decree in the I-129F package you send. You must include all pages of the divorce decree, not just the first and last.

Must have the original copy to bring to the interview at the embassy because they will want to see the raised seal stamp and signature to compare to the copy you included with the I-129F petition. They will ask her questions about the divorce likely as well.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.