sorchaine

Marriage Registration - Brazil

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I want to register our marriage at the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago, but are confused about the requirements. We tried to email the consulate to find answers, but didn't get very far. Maybe someone on here will have a better idea as to what we need to do. We are confused about the part of showing single status before marriage. The website isn't very specific so we're not sure how we go about showing our single status prior to marriage. He is a Brazilian national and I'm the US Citizen. How do we show single status for each?

Thanks.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband and I want to register our marriage at the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago, but are confused about the requirements. We tried to email the consulate to find answers, but didn't get very far. Maybe someone on here will have a better idea as to what we need to do. We are confused about the part of showing single status before marriage. The website isn't very specific so we're not sure how we go about showing our single status prior to marriage. He is a Brazilian national and I'm the US Citizen. How do we show single status for each?

Thanks.

At the consulate in SF we had to show a copy of his birth certificate received in the past 90 days (I think that was the time period). In any case, you can only get that from the cartorio in Brasil. The new birth certificate will show that he is not legally married in Brasil. Apparently once you marry in Brasil, they ammend your birth certificate to say married rather than single. Thus the new recently received birth certificate shows single status. We were in Brasil this summer and just took care of it then, but I believe if you have someone there who is able to get the document for you, you can write some kind of a letter giving them permission to act in your behalf. See if his family can contact the cartorio in his town and see what letter is required to receive the new birth certificate. I believe the name of the document you want is Certidao de Nacimento de 2a Via. If you look on the consulate website for the section in Portuguese, it should be listed there. As for proving that you were single before marriage, I think I just had to sign a document swearing that I was. I didn't bring anything special to the consulate other than my passport and birth certificate. Good luck to you! We were able to get my husband's new birth certificate on the same day, so the turn around is pretty quick. Once you finish with the consulate here, you have 6 months from the time you (your husband) next enter Brasil to get it registered there as well.

event.png

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

We went through the Brazilian consulate in Chicago to register our marriage as well.

For your husband (the Brazilian spouse), you will need:

1) IF HE HAS NEVER BEEN MARRIED: a certified copy of his birth certificate ("Certidão de Nacimento de 2a Via") that is less than 6 months old.

2) IF HE HAS BEEN MARRIED AND DIVORCED: his previous marriage certificate with divorce certificate (“averbação de divórcio”). If the divorce did not take place in Brazil, the Divorce Certificate must be ratified by the Superior Tribune of Justice before the new marriage can be registere

3) IF HE HAS BEEN MARRIED AND WIDOWED: Marriage Certificate with Death Certificate (“certidão de óbito”) of the deceased spouse

**NOTE** that marriages between two Brazilians would need the above; the below is only for non-Brazilian spouses

For yourself (the non-Brazilian spouse), you will need:

1) IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN MARRIED: a certified copy of your birth certificate

2) IF YOU HAVE BEEN MARRIED AND DIVORCED: a certified copy of your birth certificate, a certified copy of your previous marriage certificate, and a certified copy of the divorce decree

3) IF YOU HAVE BEEN MARRIED AND WIDOWED: a certified copy of your birth certificate, a certified copy of your previous marriage certificate, and a certified copy of your late husband's death certificate.

**NOTE** If you (the non-Brazilian spouse) are not a US citizen, your documents will need to be legalized by the consulate for an additional fee ($20/ea if I recall correctly).

In addition to the applicable documents above, you will need a certified copy of your marriage certificate, the registration form ("Formulário para Registro de Casamento"), and a money order for $20 (plus $5 for any additional copies).

If you do not live in the Chicago area, you may mail photocopies with your application and present the originals/certified copies when you go to Chicago for your appointment to sign the marriage registry.

ETA: In either case, as menina said, you have 6mo from the next time you go to Brazil to get it registered there as well.

Edited by K and L

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

We went through the Brazilian consulate in Chicago to register our marriage as well.

For your husband (the Brazilian spouse), you will need:

1) IF HE HAS NEVER BEEN MARRIED: a certified copy of his birth certificate ("Certidão de Nacimento de 2a Via") that is less than 6 months old.

2) IF HE HAS BEEN MARRIED AND DIVORCED: his previous marriage certificate with divorce certificate (“averbação de divórcio”). If the divorce did not take place in Brazil, the Divorce Certificate must be ratified by the Superior Tribune of Justice before the new marriage can be registere

3) IF HE HAS BEEN MARRIED AND WIDOWED: Marriage Certificate with Death Certificate (“certidão de óbito”) of the deceased spouse

**NOTE** that marriages between two Brazilians would need the above; the below is only for non-Brazilian spouses

For yourself (the non-Brazilian spouse), you will need:

1) IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN MARRIED: a certified copy of your birth certificate

2) IF YOU HAVE BEEN MARRIED AND DIVORCED: a certified copy of your birth certificate, a certified copy of your previous marriage certificate, and a certified copy of the divorce decree

3) IF YOU HAVE BEEN MARRIED AND WIDOWED: a certified copy of your birth certificate, a certified copy of your previous marriage certificate, and a certified copy of your late husband's death certificate.

**NOTE** If you (the non-Brazilian spouse) are not a US citizen, your documents will need to be legalized by the consulate for an additional fee ($20/ea if I recall correctly).

In addition to the applicable documents above, you will need a certified copy of your marriage certificate, the registration form ("Formulário para Registro de Casamento"), and a money order for $20 (plus $5 for any additional copies).

If you do not live in the Chicago area, you may mail photocopies with your application and present the originals/certified copies when you go to Chicago for your appointment to sign the marriage registry.

ETA: In either case, as menina said, you have 6mo from the next time you go to Brazil to get it registered there as well.

Hi. May I ask clarification on something? You mentioned that the Brazilian citizen has 6mo from the time he/she enters Brazil to get a marriage registered there, as well..... So, are you saying that in addition to going to the Brazilian consulate with birth certificates, marriage certificates, form, fee, etc and registering our marriage there, my husband will have to ALSO do this again when he is physically in Brazil? So, registering at the Brazilian consulate after the marriage isn't enough?

rwn5m5.png

K-1 Journey

09/24/2012 sent I-120F

09/27/2012 NOA1

04/19/2013 NOA2

04/30/2013 file received at NVC

05/07/2013 file received at Brazilian Consulate

06/11/2013 Interview in Rio de Janeiro - Approved!

07/18/2013 Visa Received (over one month delay at Consulate!)

07/19/2013 Fiancé entered USA

07/21/2013 Wedding

AOS

08/15/2013 sent AOS, EAD, and AP

01/27/2014 received Green card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.