leslie75

TN status --> I-485... quick question about forms

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, any advice/guidance is very appreciated... I've searched the forums but couldn't find any definitive answers to the below:

I'm Canadian in the US on a TN (which doesn't expire til 6/2012), and will be married in Feb 2011 to my American fiance. I'm preparing the PR paperwork (I-485, I-310, I-765, etc.) but have these questions:

1) On page 2 (Part 3 section A) of the I-485 it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I don't think I have this -- the TN is not technically a visa, and the only paperwork you receive for a TN is a stamped I-94, which only bears an "Admissions number," nothing else. Do I put "N/A" on the form?

2) Same goes for the "Consulate Where Visa was Issued" -- I could put the POE where my new I-94 was issued (O'Hare airport) but this seems wrong... ?

3) Finally, and this is a bit tricky: I have a 3-year TN, issued initially in 2009. I went on vacation to Asia recently and was reissued a new I-94 at the airport when I re-entered the US, which bears the same initial TN expiry date of course, but it was stamped with the more recent date of entry... SO, when it says "Date Visa Issued" which do I put?

4) On the I-765 it asks "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS" -- the answer has to be yes, right?

Many many thanks for any help you guys can offer with this!

Filed: TN Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there, any advice/guidance is very appreciated... I've searched the forums but couldn't find any definitive answers to the below:

I'm Canadian in the US on a TN (which doesn't expire til 6/2012), and will be married in Feb 2011 to my American fiance. I'm preparing the PR paperwork (I-485, I-310, I-765, etc.) but have these questions:

1) On page 2 (Part 3 section A) of the I-485 it asks for my Nonimmigrant Visa Number. I don't think I have this -- the TN is not technically a visa, and the only paperwork you receive for a TN is a stamped I-94, which only bears an "Admissions number," nothing else. Do I put "N/A" on the form?

2) Same goes for the "Consulate Where Visa was Issued" -- I could put the POE where my new I-94 was issued (O'Hare airport) but this seems wrong... ?

3) Finally, and this is a bit tricky: I have a 3-year TN, issued initially in 2009. I went on vacation to Asia recently and was reissued a new I-94 at the airport when I re-entered the US, which bears the same initial TN expiry date of course, but it was stamped with the more recent date of entry... SO, when it says "Date Visa Issued" which do I put?

4) On the I-765 it asks "Have you ever before applied for employment authorization from USCIS" -- the answer has to be yes, right?

Many many thanks for any help you guys can offer with this!

#1,2 and3 I think can be answered in this post:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/212749-from-tn-status-to-green-card/

12/06/10 - Day 0: Sent AOS
12/09/10 - Day 3: Received in Chicago
12/14/10 - Day 8: Received NOA1 (Email) and checks cashed
12/18/10 - Day 12: Received NOA1 Hard copies in the mail - also all forms "Touched"
12/23/10 - Day 17: Received Biometrics letter - Appt for January 13, 2011
01/13/11 - Day 38: Completed Biometrics
01/31/11 - Day 56: Received Interview letter.
02/02/11 - Day 57: I-485 Touched. Nothing on EAD or AP.
02/15/11 - Day 70: Received Email that EAD and AP are approved.
02/24/11 - Day 79: Received EAD/AP (Combo Card) in the mail.
03/03/11 - Day 86: Interview - Approved!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
01/29/13 - Day 0: Sent I-751
01/31/13 - Day 2: Received in California
02/01/13 - Day 3: Check cashed
02/08/13 - Day 10: Received NOA1 (dated 1/30/2013) and Biometrics letter (appointment for 2/28/2013)

02/28/13 - Day 30: Successful Biometrics appt

06/20/13 - Day 142: Received Email that Card Production is ordered!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/16/16 - Day 0: Sent N-400

11/21/16 - Day 5: Card charged and NOA date

12/21/16 - Day 35: Biometrics

01/04/17 - Day 49: Notice of in line for interview

05/01/17 - Day 166: Received notice of Interview scheduled

6/7/2017 - Day 203: Interview & Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

WOW -- I did not see that thread before -- super super helpful. Thanks so much!!!

• 1 year later...
Timeline

Hi leslie75 - I wanted to follow up on your question #3, the "out and back in again" issue. Similar to you, I had entered on a TN and was issued a multiple entry I-94. I then left to go back up North for the holidays, and re-entered on the TN and (as you would expect) I was not issued a new I-94. Now I've gotten around to the green card stuff I'm unclear on my date of entry. Would you mind sharing what you put on yours? Was it successful?

Many thanks for the help!

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Just wanted to follow up on my last post in case anybody finds it useful - on my I-485 form I put the date *I last entered* the US, which was not the same date the I-94 was issued. I was just issued my green card, so I guess that's the correct answer, or they didn't care very much about that entry. Hope somebody finds that useful.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.