vivizoka

Changes on SSN

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi,

I arrived in the US in 2007 as an Au Pair and managed to get a SSN. It came with the "Valid only with DHS Authorization" message. However, I'm on the process of getting my GC through marriage to an USC, and I applied with my married name.

I want to change my name in my SSN (so I can change my Driver's License and all the rest) and remove that message. I was just approved my EAD. My question is, can I apply for those changes with only the EAD, or do I have to wait for my GC to be approved?

Vivi

My Timeline - AOS from F-1 Visa

10/09/2010 - Day XX - Married!! smile.png
11/02/2010 - Day XX - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox (I-485, I-130, I-765)
12/15/2010 - Day 41 - Biometrics taken
01/11/2011 - Day 68 - Interview letter received (02/09)
02/09/2011 - Day 97 - AOS Interview (APPROVED!)
02/26/2011 - Day 114 - GC in hands!

Removing Conditions

12/03/2012 - Day XX - Package sent to Vermont
12/07/2012 - Day 04 - Date of NOA
12/19/2012 - Day 16 - Biometrics taken early (Appt. 01/03/13)

05/22/2013 - Day 170 - Approved / Card production

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

My question is, can I apply for those changes with only the EAD, or do I have to wait for my GC to be approved?

You might be able to get the conditions removed with the EAD card, but the AOS needs to be approved. If the name on your EAD card and passport is the name you want on the SSN record, you should be able to get that done.

RM 10211.025 Evidence of Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status for an SSN Card

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110211025

C. Procedure and description for accepting evidence of LPR status

1. Permanent resident card (Form I-551)

c. I-551 card shows only a 2-year validity period (conditional LPR)

A conditional LPR is issued an I-551 valid for a 2 -year period.

d. Expired I-551 with Notice of Action (Form I-797C)

USCIS issues a conditional resident alien, who has applied to have his or her conditional status removed, a Form I-797C stating the I-551 has been extended for one year.

4. Alternate evidence of LPR status

a. Employment Authorization Document (I-766) showing certain alien categories

Generally, when DHS grants or approves an adjustment to LPR status, the alien receives his or her I-551 card several weeks after the adjustment to LPR status has been granted. In these cases, while the alien is awaiting the I-551 card, SAVE will verify the alien’s LPR status, since it is the current immigration status.

Under DHS guidance, we have established alternate evidence of LPR status for those applicants who have adjusted to LPR status and are awaiting their I-551 cards. These guidelines apply even if the applicant does not indicate he or she has adjusted to LPR status. The alternate evidence of LPR status only applies to the 10 most prevalent alien categories that adjust to LPR status.

Consider the alien to be an LPR if all of the following requirements are met:

-- The applicant submits an I-766, and

-- On the face of the I-766, the Category is one listed in RM 10211.025C.4.b.

b. Required I-766 Categories

A6, A06 or A-6 (FIANCEE – K1/CHILD – K2)

A9, A09 or A-9 (SPOUSE/CHILD OF USC)

C9, C09 or C-9 (ADJUSTMENT APPLICANT)

RM 10212.001 Defining the Legal Name for an SSN

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0110212001

B. Evidence of legal name

2. Foreign born individual

A foreign-born person’s legal name is the name shown on his or her immigration document.

The only time you may process an SSN application in a name that does not agree with the name shown on the immigration

document is if the person legally changed his or her name after the immigration document is issued. In these situations, the legal name is the name shown on the evidence of the name change.

a. Name on immigration document and other evidence for an SSN are different

When the name shown on the immigration document differs from the name shown on other evidence submitted for an SSN, process the SSN in the name on the immigration document as long as the name can be derived from the other evidence (e.g., foreign passport).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can change your name now, but can't get the "only valid with DHS authorization" removed until you are approved for your greencard. If I were you, I'd just wait so I didn't have to go twice.

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.