^_^

America v China. No contest.

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

This is economic news, not political or religious. Please leave in Off Topic.

China has a national economic strategy designed to make it, and its people, the economic powerhouse of the future. They’re intent on learning as much as they can from us and then going beyond us (as they already are in solar and electric-battery technologies). They’re pouring money into basic research and education at all levels. In the last 12 years they’ve built twenty universities, each designed to be the equivalent of MIT.

Their goal is to make China Number one in power and prestige, and in high-wage jobs.

The United States doesn’t have a national economic strategy. Instead, we have global corporations that happen to be headquartered here. Their goal is to maximize profits, wherever they can make the most money. They’ll make things in America for export to China when that’s most profitable; they’ll make it in China and give the Chinese their know-how when that’s the best way to boost the bottom line. They’ll utilize research and development wherever around the world it will deliver the biggest bang for the dollar.

Meanwhile ... deficit hawks are cutting publicly-supported R&D. And cash-starved states are cutting K-12 education, and slashing the budgets of their great public research universities, such as the one I teach at.

No contest.

China is eating our lunch. Why? It has a national economic strategy designed to create more and better jobs. We have global corporations designed to make money for shareholders.

http://robertreich.org/post/2830348699

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Their goal is to make China Number one in power and prestige, and in high-wage jobs.

Well they have a hell of a ways to go from the pathetic $4400 on average each Chinaman makes in 365 days...a lot of Americans make that in 2 weeks....

From today's news: China GDP per head 1/10th that of Japan

The data shows China became the world's second-largest economy after the U.S. last year. In 2010, the Asian country's per capita GDP totaled only 4,412 dollars, far less than Japan's 42,431 dollars, according to Nikkei estimates based on data compiled by Daiwa Institute of Research Ltd. and the International Monetary Fund. China's per capita GDP was roughly the same as Japan's in the 1960s

China is 93rd on the list of highest GDP per head in the world (92 is Bosnia...while the US is always top 10 and even ahead of Australia): http://en.wikipedia....P%29_per_capita

Edited by Lord Infamous

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

no way!

Did you know that an Australian on welfare gets $400 to $500 a week (not including housing and other perks such as free health care)? Add that up: an Aussie ON WELFARE for 2 months earns what an average Chinaman makes in 1 year..

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

Chi·na·man

   /ˈtʃaɪnəmən/ Show Spelled[chahy-nuh-muhn]

–noun, plural -men.

Usually Offensive
. a Chinese or a person of Chinese descent.

I really didn't know that was offensive. I would never orally say that (which is probably when it is more offensive). It just fit right while I was writing.

But if it is offensive then what does that say about this Australian Island: http://en.wikipedia....Chinaman_Island

Edited by Lord Infamous

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

I've noticed that in Spanish speaking countries if you look Asian then you are "un chino".....Doesn't matter if you are Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino, or whatever...You are "un chino" to them.

Former President of Peru, Alberto Fujimori, was Japanese...His nickname was El Chino:

During the campaign, Fujimori was nicknamed El Chino, which roughly translates to "Chinaman"; it is common for people of any East Asian descent to be called chino in Peru, as elsewhere in Latin America, both derogatively and affectionately.

http://en.wikipedia....lberto_Fujimori

Edited by Lord Infamous

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Timeline

I've noticed that in Spanish speaking countries if you look Asian then you are "un chino".....Doesn't matter if you are Japanese, Vietnamese, Filipino, or whatever...You are "un chino" to them.

Former President of Peru, Alberto Fujimori, was Japanese...His nickname was El Chino:

During the campaign, Fujimori was nicknamed El Chino, which roughly translates to "Chinaman"; it is common for people of any East Asian descent to be called chino in Peru, as elsewhere in Latin America, both derogatively and affectionately.

Yeah, in India too.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

El Chino isn't a pejorative as you seem to be implying.

Timeline

El Chino isn't a pejorative as you seem to be implying.

From my post that you quoted:

it is common for people of any East Asian descent to be called chino in Peru, as elsewhere in Latin America, both derogatively and affectionately.

I know it isn't something said out of rudeness....It's just to identify who they are referring to. Actually, I was gonna say in my first post that since all Mexicans look the same they say chino to identify the asian (person that doesn't look like they do). It's pretty obvious when 1 chinese man is standing among 5 Mexicans. Now if 30% of their population was of some Asian descent then they'd probably not call all of them chinos. But I figured someone would have taken offense when I wrote the 'all Mexicans look the same" part' so I left it out...

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1