Scylla

Hello from a new member

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all, I'm Caliris, or at least that's what I'm going by online.

I am a U.S. citizen who has been married to my Canadian husband for 6 years (since Dec 2004). For six years I attempted to immigrate to Canada and join my husband there as a permanent resident. Long story short, we were poorly prepared and had no idea what we were doing. Because I did not know my rights, could not afford legal help from the start and was utterly intimidated and terrified by the process, things turned out badly. I ended up waiting an incredibly long period of time that ended in despair (removed from the country by 1-year exclusion order.) This is after I did finally get a lawyer involved as of 2009, but it was too little, too late.

2-3 months later after some in depth research I've decided to try immigrating my husband to the U.S. instead. I'm still quite terrified by the process, even more so because I know what can happen if you screw it up. I'm worried too because I currently lack an income. I have parents who are willing to file a joint affidavit of support, and are supportive of me and my husband, but it just feels like there are so many little things that can go wrong. If not with the affidavit, then the interview, maybe even the proof of bona fide marriage. My husband and I are putting together as much proof as we possibly can for the latter part. Affidavits from friends/family who have witnessed us in a married relationship, pictures of us together, online communication transcripts, joint lease, and of course marriage certificate. And of course making at least two copies of *everything*.

Yet another worry is about my proof of citizenship. I have been trying to get a new passport for a while now. Sent for it Nov 17 2010, expedited it. But it still hasn't arrived and I've called the National Passport Information Center daily for weeks. Lately there's been a computer problem with the office and they haven't even been able to pull up my file. In the meantime I do not have either a passport or my original birth certificate, though I made two copies of the birth certificate before I sent it off. It's still not a certified copy though, just a scanned copy off my printer... The I-130 directions say I just need to provide "a copy" but I'm still concerned.

Anyway, I am rambling, but I spend every day in fear that I will never be with my husband again. I've even arranged for a lawyer consultation tomorrow. I've not yet sent the I-130 but am preparing to do so by Feb. I'm hoping my marriage certificate arrives by then. So many things that can go wrong. :(

What do people do to deal with immigration anxiety? Am I the only one this terrified? I wonder if I am scared for nothing, but I had a very traumatic experience trying to immigrate to Canada and I want so badly to do things right this time. If there is any advice people can offer a person new to the process of immigrating a spouse to the U.S. please let me know. We've decided to go with the IR-1/CR-1 because the bad experience I had with Canada was exacerbated by the fact I lived in Canada during the process. We are hoping that consular processing would make things go smoother, are we right to think so or not?

I have so many questions, I'm sorry. I should probably have typed them separately in different forums. I guess I just need to hear from people in situations like mine that it's possible for me to get this right and be reunited with my husband. I've been reading directions and FAQs on this site and the USCIS site diligently but nothing quite eases my mind.

Thank you,

Caliris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This site has a REALLY good step by step guide, as well as a flow chart.

If you check out the guide for the IR-1 CR-1 by looking in the guide section i'm sure it can help you. If you still feel you need a lawyer by all means get one. But I will say that lawyers make mistakes too and don't have the time that you would have, to put into the papers and making sure everything is on track.

Edit this to add the link for the guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Welcome to VJ. Enjoy the site..

2005---We met by friend/Church member that was living in Nigeria

2006---We begin to talk about getting married

2007---I was going to met him face to face, but hurt my back couldn't walk..

2009---Was able to see each for the first time.. I got my engagement ring (WOW).. :wow:

2010-01-22 mailed I129f

2010-01-26 got NOA1

2010-05-12 called to see why no NOA2, I was told that our case is not being processed yet!!!!! No notes in the computer

other then the mailing of the NOA1!!!!!!! :angry:

2010-05-18 called SERVICE CENTER again to see what's going on with our case.. NOT BEING PROCESSED YET I WAS TOLD AGAIN!!!

2010-06-16 Got notice that NOA2 was approved 141 days after NOA1. We got our approval on Ossy's Birthday.. Happy birthday honey, I love you!!!!

2010-06-21 got NOA2 in hand

2010-06-22 called NVC to see if papers was there, but was told that my DOB was not right in the system. Just mailed a letter along with a copy of my birth certificate asking to change my DOB.. Way to go VCS..

2010-06-22 NVC received the case

2010-06-23 Case sent to Embassy in Barbados

2010-06-28 Embassy received our case

2010-08-09 Interview Administrative Review

2010-11-15 Approved for Visa (I was on the mission to make sure the INTERVIEWER that we had never interviewed anyone else and I did it).. Know that you have right and don't let the interviewer cross the line..

2010-12-10 Visa and Passport in hand!!! Thank God!!!

2010-12-19 Ossy will enter the States!!

Filed: Other Timeline

Your post is well written, so you're not an idiot. That's good.

You are married for 6 years, so no sane person would assume that your husband just got married to you in order to gain immigration benefits to the US. That's good as well.

You ordered a new passport. Again: good.

Your parents are willing to co-sponsor: Yep, good.

Looks like you have a lot of good things going for you. The whole process is rather straight forward and there are many Canadians here you can give you valuable advice. You won't need a lawyer, you just need to pay attention to details. Since you're not an idiot, that''ll be a piece of cake for you.

Welcome to VJ!

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915