saj102965

Question regarding ROC

3 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

A friend of mine (USC) has been married since 2008 and her and her husband have been separated for sometime now and the marriag is not going to work out, so can her husband still proceed with removing conditions by himself if my friend (USC) files for divorce? Thanks for any help.

Timeline:

9-18-2010 - Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

9-20-2010 - Package arrived confirmation USPS

9-24-2010 - Received txt message and email for I-797

9-27-2010 - Received NOA1 for I-131, I-130, I-765 and I-485

9-27-2010 - Checks cashed

10-4-2010 - Received biometric appt. (10-28-10)

10-15-2010 - Touched

10-20-2010 - RFE Notice Sent via email on I-485 (Bummer)

10-25-2010 - Recevied RFE

10-26-2010 - Send evidence

10-27-2010 - Evidenced signed for in response to RFE

10-28-2010 - Appear for Biometrics

10-28-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched

10-29-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched again

11-1-10 - rec.email regarding continued processing of I-485

11-12-2010 - Received call from congresswoman's office stating they were contacting USCIS to expedite EAD

11-15-210 - Received call from congresswoman's office confirming request to expedite approved and EAD will be adjudicated in 7 business days and should received card 10 days after that. Also the I-485 has been moved to the next step to schedule interview too. Yeah - so happy!!!

11-19-2010 - Received email AP approved and EAD card in production.

11-19-2010 - Received interview letter - appt scheduled on 12-21-2010. :)

11-22-2010 - Received AP in mail

11-26-2010 - Received EAD in mail (Went on 11-29-10 for job interview and start on 12-6-10)

12-21-2010 - Went on Interview and was APPROVED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You will need evidence of marriage in good faith, however, from the I-751 form, unless divorced, you need to file this jointly.

Some searching resulted in this:

QUOTE Two ways to show that a marriage was entered into in good faith are proving that the couple had a child together and producing evidence that the couple owned property jointly. http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_jerse...ion_and_divorce

QUOTE Filing if the Couple is Separated

More troublesome is if the couple is still married, but separated or otherwise not getting along. With limited exception, as long as the couple is legally married, it is necessary to have a joint petition. Thus, troubled marriages often need either to be reconciled or terminated in order to file the I-751. As explained below, the I-751 can be filed by divorced individuals, and may be approved, as long as there is sufficient evidence that the marriage was genuine when initially entered into. It is more difficult to satisfy the USCIS in such scenarios, however.

Joint-Filing Waived in Limited Cases

There are two situations in which a person who is still legally married can file the I-751 without the spouse. The first is if the person entered into a marriage in good faith, but has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by the petitioning spouse. The second is if termination of permanent resident status and removal from the U.S. would result in extreme hardship to the foreign national. Extreme hardship is a high standard and can be based only upon conditions that arose after the conditional residency was acquired.

Filing after Divorce or Annulment

A conditional permanent resident with a marriage that was terminated due to divorce or annulment must file for a waiver of the requirement of the joint filing of Form I-751. To obtain an approval of the I-751 and be granted unconditional lawful permanent resident status, the conditional permanent resident spouse must be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith.

The person seeking permanent resident status should expect to undergo an interview at the USCIS about the marriage. The USCIS will closely scrutinize whether the marriage was bona fide at its inception. The USCIS will review the divorce decree and complaint for matters that may be reflective of whether the marriage was entered into purely for immigration purposes or to perpetrate fraud against the United States citizen spouse or the USCIS. http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

You will need evidence of marriage in good faith, however, from the I-751 form, unless divorced, you need to file this jointly.

Some searching resulted in this:

QUOTE Two ways to show that a marriage was entered into in good faith are proving that the couple had a child together and producing evidence that the couple owned property jointly. http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_jerse...ion_and_divorce

QUOTE Filing if the Couple is Separated

More troublesome is if the couple is still married, but separated or otherwise not getting along. With limited exception, as long as the couple is legally married, it is necessary to have a joint petition. Thus, troubled marriages often need either to be reconciled or terminated in order to file the I-751. As explained below, the I-751 can be filed by divorced individuals, and may be approved, as long as there is sufficient evidence that the marriage was genuine when initially entered into. It is more difficult to satisfy the USCIS in such scenarios, however.

Joint-Filing Waived in Limited Cases

There are two situations in which a person who is still legally married can file the I-751 without the spouse. The first is if the person entered into a marriage in good faith, but has been battered or subjected to extreme cruelty by the petitioning spouse. The second is if termination of permanent resident status and removal from the U.S. would result in extreme hardship to the foreign national. Extreme hardship is a high standard and can be based only upon conditions that arose after the conditional residency was acquired.

Filing after Divorce or Annulment

A conditional permanent resident with a marriage that was terminated due to divorce or annulment must file for a waiver of the requirement of the joint filing of Form I-751. To obtain an approval of the I-751 and be granted unconditional lawful permanent resident status, the conditional permanent resident spouse must be able to show that s/he entered into the marriage in good faith.

The person seeking permanent resident status should expect to undergo an interview at the USCIS about the marriage. The USCIS will closely scrutinize whether the marriage was bona fide at its inception. The USCIS will review the divorce decree and complaint for matters that may be reflective of whether the marriage was entered into purely for immigration purposes or to perpetrate fraud against the United States citizen spouse or the USCIS. http://www.murthy.com/news/n_remcon.html

Thank you so much. That's just what I was looking for.

Timeline:

9-18-2010 - Sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

9-20-2010 - Package arrived confirmation USPS

9-24-2010 - Received txt message and email for I-797

9-27-2010 - Received NOA1 for I-131, I-130, I-765 and I-485

9-27-2010 - Checks cashed

10-4-2010 - Received biometric appt. (10-28-10)

10-15-2010 - Touched

10-20-2010 - RFE Notice Sent via email on I-485 (Bummer)

10-25-2010 - Recevied RFE

10-26-2010 - Send evidence

10-27-2010 - Evidenced signed for in response to RFE

10-28-2010 - Appear for Biometrics

10-28-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched

10-29-2010 - I-765 & I-485 touched again

11-1-10 - rec.email regarding continued processing of I-485

11-12-2010 - Received call from congresswoman's office stating they were contacting USCIS to expedite EAD

11-15-210 - Received call from congresswoman's office confirming request to expedite approved and EAD will be adjudicated in 7 business days and should received card 10 days after that. Also the I-485 has been moved to the next step to schedule interview too. Yeah - so happy!!!

11-19-2010 - Received email AP approved and EAD card in production.

11-19-2010 - Received interview letter - appt scheduled on 12-21-2010. :)

11-22-2010 - Received AP in mail

11-26-2010 - Received EAD in mail (Went on 11-29-10 for job interview and start on 12-6-10)

12-21-2010 - Went on Interview and was APPROVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.