Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Divorce after getting Green Card

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

My wife is from India. I applied for a K-1 (Fiancee visa) for her. After going through the whole process, she finally arrived in the U.S. in March last year and we got married in a local court here in May 2010. Things have changed since then and it looks like that we won't be able to live together at all. She has no intention of staying in the U.S. and wants to go back. The good thing is that she is willingly ready to sign any legal divorce papers before going back to India to live with her family. Could someone please tell me what sort of step by step process I should follow? After getting a divorce, would she be able to use her green card to go back to India or would she need a visa?

I would appreciate if someone could help with the following questions:

1) What process should I follow to get divorce in order to avoid any legal or immigration related issues in the future?

2) How long does the divorce process takes and do I need to inform USCIS of our divorce (return the green card or something)?

2) What would my wife need in order to go back to India once we get divorced (old passport, divorce certificate or green card)?

Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Timeline

Did you file for AOS?

Does she have a Green Card?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China

1) Divorce rules vary from state to state.

2) A few weeks, to 6 months or more depending on state. No need to inform USCIS other than do it in India see my answer to #3

3) If have green-card, spouse should turn it in at the consulate, and relinquish residency status. http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/uscislawpermres.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.



Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...