2 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hi all

So I am getting marred next year just starting to work my way throw the paperwork. Can any one explain what my Status will be after entering the USA on a k1 visa then getting marred and filing Adjustment of Status?

I understand I can get a work permit but I will also need a transport workers identity card as I work on ships and the TSA website states that a k1 can not hold one.

So if I can not get one till I get my green card come in then I can not work in the USA for as long as it takes to get, so would this mean I could get expedited prepossessing time?

sorry its a long but if any one could help I would be very grateful

After you file your AOS, your status will be "AOS-pending" which is basically limbo. You won't get your EAD until around 90 days after filing your AOS paperwork, so only then will you be able to look for work. After you have your EAD, I am not sure if you would be eligible for this TSA clearance you speak of, but your Greencard will be coming around the corner anyway by that time (processing time of late is 3-5 months). You can request expedited EAD; I have seen people get it if they have a job offer in hand, but not for general job-hunting. You can always try to expedite the whole GC application (the I-485), but I sort of doubt they would approve the expedite (I imagine they would say "but you have work authorization already" - but I am totally guessing here). You can minimize the down time by marrying quickly after entering and having your AOS paperwork ready to go beforehand so you can just send it out. Like I said, be prepared to be in limbo for at least 3-5 months. Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.