zinynano

Recheduling Oath Ceremony -- where to send the letter?

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm trying to reschedule my oath ceremony. On the N-445 it says "return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear" but in the letter there is no address (except where the oath ceremony will be held). I'm guessing I should return it to the original sender printed on the envelope. I'd like to make sure though. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by zinynano

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello,

I'm trying to reschedule my oath ceremony. On the N-445 it says "return this notice immediately and state why you cannot appear" but in the letter there is no address (except where the oath ceremony will be held). I'm guessing I should return it to the original sender printed on the envelope. I'd like to make sure though. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

A good advice... unless absolutely necessary try to avoid to reschedule. It might take a long time before they take you in again. If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) that USCIS sent to you. You should send the N-445 back to your local office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local office will reschedule you and send you a new "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be. Again... try to reschedule everything else but not the Oath Ceremony.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

A good advice... unless absolutely necessary try to avoid to reschedule. It might take a long time before they take you in again. If you cannot go to the oath ceremony, you should return the "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) that USCIS sent to you. You should send the N-445 back to your local office. Include a letter saying why you cannot go to the ceremony. Make a copy of the notice and your letter before you send them to USCIS. Your local office will reschedule you and send you a new "Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony" (Form N-445) to tell you when your ceremony will be. Again... try to reschedule everything else but not the Oath Ceremony.

If mailing is your only option, would definitely keep the original oath letter and just send in a copy of it. Preferred option would be to make an infopass appointment if your field office can be reached conveniently. But here you have no choice if going through the removal of conditions stage where you need that stamp to remain here legally. Convenient or not, you have to go.

In our experience, any field office has the power to give the oath ceremony at anytime they feel like it, if buddy buddy with a senator, that can be done regardless of the law made by the office manager. Makes far more sense to have a same day oath rather than to have to store tons of applications where they can get lost of misplaced, but most office managers don't think that way if they even think at all. Got this information first hand from a woman that works in the filing department digging out all those applications out again just to print out the certificate, then to have to file them.

Then in fact, an oath ceremony is not an oath ceremony, just a ceremony, you already read the oath aloud in front of an officer and signed it, under an additional oath to tell nothing but the truth. that ceremony is just lip service, and a costly one of that if you have to take additional days off from work and have yet another very long drive.

Would be nice if all field offices had same day oath ceremonies. But some prefer to wait until there is over 3,000 applicants to make for a very long tiring day with long lines and yet another very long drive.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.