scandal

LinkedIn’s Overused Resume Words

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

LinkedIn’s Overused Resume Words

You might think words like “innovative,” “dynamic” and “motivated” look good on your resume. But it seems that a lot of other people have the same idea — which is precisely why those words aren’t so great after all.

Those words are among the most overused on resumes, according to networking site LinkedIn, which analyzed the profiles of millions of U.S. users to come up with a top-10 list. Also seen too frequently: “extensive experience,” “results-oriented,” “proven track record,” “team player,” “fast-paced,” “problem solver” and “entrepreneurial.”

These terms “can appear empty to a potential employer and may do more harm than good when you include them in your profile or resume,” said Lindsey Pollak, a LinkedIn spokeswoman and an author of career books.

Ms. Pollak said people should scrap the words altogether from their resumes and profiles and instead focus on details of the job, like how many people they supervised or how much they increased sales.

The list is another effort by LinkedIn to emphasize the unique nature of its social network even as Facebook claims far more users. (LinkedIn says it has 85 million members world-wide, while Facebook has more than 500 million.)

LinkedIn is sitting on a trove of data about careers and job-seekers, something that has value even without such massive numbers. The company this fall introduced a tool called Career Explorer that uses this data to help college students chart career paths.

LinkedIn also has been trying to get its users to add more information about themselves and the companies and products they like, adding tools in an effort to become a site that professionals visit even when they aren’t job-hunting.

Filed: Timeline

You might think words like “innovative,” “dynamic” and “motivated” look good on your resume. But it seems that a lot of other people have the same idea — which is precisely why those words aren’t so great after all.

extensive experience,” “results-oriented,” “proven track record,” “team player,” “fast-paced,” “problem solver” and “entrepreneurial.”

I have the words/phrases in bold in mine.

And what happened to change agent? That used to be everywhere.

I'm 5 years old and have a phD in biochemistry.

Currently I'm thinking outside the sandbox :whistle:

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Ms. Pollak said people should scrap the words altogether from their resumes and profiles and instead focus on details of the job, like how many people they supervised or how much they increased sales.

I agree. I've always thought that those action/"buzz" words were superfluous. Typical HR-type recommendation. People who understand the field can see right through it.