AB2CO

Review of Medical - in Vancouver at Woking Medical

6 posts in this topic

Thought I would take a moment to post a brief review of my recent medical (done in advance of my upcoming CR1 interview in Montreal) . . .

Got my notice of my Montreal interview by email on Saturday, Nov 20 (interview date Firday, Dec 17)

I had decided I would use Woking Medical in Vancouver, as they are closest to Calgary, and they have same day turn-around on getting the results back to you. On the afternoon of Nov 20 I used the Woking web site to request an appointment, with Dec 1 as my first choice and Dec 8 as my second choice (they only do immigration medicals on Wednesdays). I received an email back from Woking late that same evening confirming an appointment on Dec 1 . . . I was impressed with the prompt response.

On Dec 2 I made airline and hotel reservations . . . I booked to fly into Vancouver on the evening of Nov 30, as you have to be at Woking Medical by 6:30 am on the day of your medical. I stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre . . . it's about half a block from Woking Medical . . . took maybe 2 minutes to walk over?

So, flight to Vancouver, cab to hotel from airport (about $35 with tip), check in, set the alarm, and try and get some sleep.

Got to Woking Medical at about 6:20 and went upstairs to the reception desk and took a number . . . I was # 18 . . . and joined the rest of the folks waiting.

At about 6:45(?) the receptionist gave us an overview of the process, and then shortly after that we lined up to get some forms to review and sign. Got my forms, filled out the section with the questions about your medical history (mostly just yes/no stuff), then took the forms back up to receptionist to sign in front of her and hand in your copy of Montreal appointment letter, evidence of immunizations, pictures, and passport. Doublecheck that the info on the forms matches your info . . . my MTL... number from my appointment letter was incorrect on the form that Woking had partially pre-filled out . . . got that corrected.

Then down the hall to another waiting area, and wait for your number to be called for the blood test. They just draw a single little vial of blood.

Then back to the original waiting area to wait for your name to be called for the xray. Off to a little changing room to take off your shirt and put on the little hospital gown, then the xray tech calls your name and you go get the xray done.

Then back to the original waiting area to wait for your name to be called for the actual examination by the doctor. When you name is called you are taken a little examination room and left, with instruction to disrobe (down to your underwear only) and sit on the exam table. A few minutes later the doctor came in and said "hi" and asked in I was genrally healthy (to which I replied "yes"). The he proceeded to take my blood pressure, check my ears and throat, check my glands on my neck, do the "take a deep breath" thing and listen to my lungs with the stethoscope, then lie down and palpate my abdomen.

And that was it (if I'm not forgetting anything). Off goes the doctor, and you get redressed. (Editorial comment: Only 4 doctors in Canada can do that???!!!)

Then around the corner to see the receptionist, who takes your height and weight, and does a rudimentary eye test . . . read a line on the eye chart with one eye (glasses on if you wear them), then repeat with the other.

After that, she takes your $350 bank draft, and tells you to come back at 1:30-ish for your results. For me (#18), this took until about 10:00 am . . . I think the first folks were down by about 9:00 am.

Off to kill time . . . wandered to a nearby mall, Future Shop, Chapters, had lunch . . . and headed back to Woking . . . got there about 1:15 pm.

They said things were a little backed up . . . I got my results back at about 2:00 pm. I was pleasnatly surprised to learn that my xray was in digital form on a CD (I hadn't been keen on having to carefully lug around the big xray envelope).

So back to the hotel to get my bag from the concierge/bellman. My flight back to Calgary was for 7:45 pm . . . so I decided to try the Canada Line back to the airport . . . walked to a train station about 6 blocks or so from the hotel, got a ticket for all of $3.75 and waited for the train. In about 7 mintues the train came, and off to the airport I went . . an uneventful 20 minute ride to the end of run station at the airport. Train was clean and new, not crowded at all.

Went over to Air Canada to see if there was any chance of switching to an earlier flight . . . it was a possibility, but they wanted $150 . . . I said thanks, but no thanks. So, with 4+ hours to kill, I went and found a comfortable spot and pulled out the laptop . . . free WiFi at the Vancouver airport. Eventually caught my flight home, and my adventure was over.

The End

Edited by AB2CO

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline
:)

7/28/04 we met

10/ /06 started dating long distance, not fun

7/15/08 we gave birth to a beautiful baby boy

11/11/10 we got married in amazing Santa Barbara

11/17/10 mailed I 130, I 131, AP and EAD

11/25/10 package received

12/06/10 checks cashed

12/08/10 Email/ text

12/11/10 NOA hard copies in the mail

01/ /11 biometrics walk in successful in Oxnard

02/07/11 EAD in production, AP post decision activity

02/11/11 AP in hand

02/14/11 EAD in the mail!!!!!!!

02/17/11 EAD in hand + applied for SSN

04/13/11 Interview and Approval letter, card in production!!!

Thank you visa journey!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great review. Sounds like an exhausting trip but now you're one step closer to the end. Good luck!

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thought I would take a moment to post a brief review of my recent medical (done in advance of my upcoming CR1 interview in Montreal) . . .

Got my notice of my Montreal interview by email on Saturday, Nov 20 (interview date Firday, Dec 17)

I had decided I would use Woking Medical in Vancouver, as they are closest to Calgary, and they have same day turn-around on getting the results back to you. On the afternoon of Nov 20 I used the Woking web site to request an appointment, with Dec 1 as my first choice and Dec 8 as my second choice (they only do immigration medicals on Wednesdays). I received an email back from Woking late that same evening confirming an appointment on Dec 1 . . . I was impressed with the prompt response.

On Dec 2 I made airline and hotel reservations . . . I booked to fly into Vancouver on the evening of Nov 30, as you have to be at Woking Medical by 6:30 am on the day of your medical. I stayed at the Sheraton Wall Centre . . . it's about half a block from Woking Medical . . . took maybe 2 minutes to walk over?

So, flight to Vancouver, cab to hotel from airport (about $35 with tip), check in, set the alarm, and try and get some sleep.

Got to Woking Medical at about 6:20 and went upstairs to the reception desk and took a number . . . I was # 18 . . . and joined the rest of the folks waiting.

At about 6:45(?) the receptionist gave us an overview of the process, and then shortly after that we lined up to get some forms to review and sign. Got my forms, filled out the section with the questions about your medical history (mostly just yes/no stuff), then took the forms back up to receptionist to sign in front of her and hand in your copy of Montreal appointment letter, evidence of immunizations, pictures, and passport. Doublecheck that the info on the forms matches your info . . . my MTL... number from my appointment letter was incorrect on the form that Woking had partially pre-filled out . . . got that corrected.

Then down the hall to another waiting area, and wait for your number to be called for the blood test. They just draw a single little vial of blood.

Then back to the original waiting area to wait for your name to be called for the xray. Off to a little changing room to take off your shirt and put on the little hospital gown, then the xray tech calls your name and you go get the xray done.

Then back to the original waiting area to wait for your name to be called for the actual examination by the doctor. When you name is called you are taken a little examination room and left, with instruction to disrobe (down to your underwear only) and sit on the exam table. A few minutes later the doctor came in and said "hi" and asked in I was genrally healthy (to which I replied "yes"). The he proceeded to take my blood pressure, check my ears and throat, check my glands on my neck, do the "take a deep breath" thing and listen to my lungs with the stethoscope, then lie down and palpate my abdomen.

And that was it (if I'm not forgetting anything). Off goes the doctor, and you get redressed. (Editorial comment: Only 4 doctors in Canada can do that???!!!)

Then around the corner to see the receptionist, who takes your height and weight, and does a rudimentary eye test . . . read a line on the eye chart with one eye (glasses on if you wear them), then repeat with the other.

After that, she takes your $350 bank draft, and tells you to come back at 1:30-ish for your results. For me (#18), this took until about 10:00 am . . . I think the first folks were down by about 9:00 am.

Off to kill time . . . wandered to a nearby mall, Future Shop, Chapters, had lunch . . . and headed back to Woking . . . got there about 1:15 pm.

They said things were a little backed up . . . I got my results back at about 2:00 pm. I was pleasnatly surprised to learn that my xray was in digital form on a CD (I hadn't been keen on having to carefully lug around the big xray envelope).

So back to the hotel to get my bag from the concierge/bellman. My flight back to Calgary was for 7:45 pm . . . so I decided to try the Canada Line back to the airport . . . walked to a train station about 6 blocks or so from the hotel, got a ticket for all of $3.75 and waited for the train. In about 7 mintues the train came, and off to the airport I went . . an uneventful 20 minute ride to the end of run station at the airport. Train was clean and new, not crowded at all.

Went over to Air Canada to see if there was any chance of switching to an earlier flight . . . it was a possibility, but they wanted $150 . . . I said thanks, but no thanks. So, with 4+ hours to kill, I went and found a comfortable spot and pulled out the laptop . . . free WiFi at the Vancouver airport. Eventually caught my flight home, and my adventure was over.

The End

Thank you for posting this. My fiancee will be doing his medical there also. Very helpful! Good luck on the rest of your journey!

TJ & Kenny

Met online : August 18 2008

Met in person (Alberta Canada): June 19,2009

Met again (USA): December 10,2009

Mailed the package: June 30,2010

NOA1: July 8,2010

Touch: July 14,2010

NOA2: Nov. 19, 2010 Issued

NOA2: Nov. 27, 2010 Received Hard Copy

November 26, 2010 NVC forwarded case to Vancouver Consulate

November 29, 2010 Received at Vancouver Consulate

December 7, 2010 Received Packet 3

December 8, 2010 Received Inverview Date

Interview Date: January 5, 2011 Vancouver

Approved February 8, 2011

Entered USA February 15, 2011

Married March 23, 2011

Thank you for posting this. My fiancee will be doing his medical there also. Very helpful! Good luck on the rest of your journey!

TJ & Kenny

By the way, there are 3 or 4 other hotels on Burrard within a block of Woking Medical, and a Market IGA store maybe 2 blocks away.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.