PumpkinPie

Need Help Regarding Husband's Visa App For US

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi Guys, I'm new to this site and I really appreciate all your help in advance! I have a couple questions about getting my husband a green card to move to America. A little bit about us:

I'm American, he's Irish. We've been together for a little over 3 years and we'll be married for 2 years in March 2011 (go us! lol) I have a Stamp 4 visa allowing me to live here for 5 years from marrying him, no questions asked. However there is no work here and I'm finding it hard to find a job here. He works full time, has held down his job since college (4 years now) no criminal history on either of us and both in good health and we do not have children as of yet. Our only problem is sponsorship...

1) Since I am not working and I have no income, would money in the bank help show we can support ourselves? If so, how much?

2) We do not have children yet, if we were to have a child before we receive the visa (that is if we don't apply right away), would the amount required go up for sponsorship? If so, by how much?

3) If my mom co-sponsors, do we have to move in with her or to her state (my home state) because we really want to move to California, this is where my husband would get a job the quickest because of his industry (events/music)?

4) Is there any other pointers you can give us for the process?

(Oh and by the way, please please please don't suggest I move back home without him, get a job and sponsor him myself. I've been separated from him before and I hated being away from him, I don't think I could do it again. Plus the waiting time would double for the visa from what I've heard.)

Again thanks in advance and don't hesitate to pry for anything I may have missed! :D:help:

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hi Guys, I'm new to this site and I really appreciate all your help in advance! I have a couple questions about getting my husband a green card to move to America. A little bit about us:

I'm American, he's Irish. We've been together for a little over 3 years and we'll be married for 2 years in March 2011 (go us! lol) I have a Stamp 4 visa allowing me to live here for 5 years from marrying him, no questions asked. However there is no work here and I'm finding it hard to find a job here. He works full time, has held down his job since college (4 years now) no criminal history on either of us and both in good health and we do not have children as of yet. Our only problem is sponsorship...

1) Since I am not working and I have no income, would money in the bank help show we can support ourselves? If so, how much?

-> If you are not able to sponsor him then you can use any co-sponsor.The income requirement is depend upon the household size.For more details plz visit the following link and read it.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

2) We do not have children yet, if we were to have a child before we receive the visa (that is if we don't apply right away), would the amount required go up for sponsorship? If so, by how much?

-> Yes, again see the poverty guidelines and also read the I-864 form.

3) If my mom co-sponsors, do we have to move in with her or to her state (my home state) because we really want to move to California, this is where my husband would get a job the quickest because of his industry (events/music)?

-> It is not necessary to move at your mom' home. In that case you will fill out I-864 form and your mom will also fill i-864 as a co-sponsor. But if u will go back to usa before his interview and start to live with your mom then you can combine your & your mom income together. In this case you will fill out I-864 and you mom will fill out I-864A form.

-> For more information plz spend some time here on VJ and try to find information related to DCF process

(Oh and by the way, please please please don't suggest I move back home without him, get a job and sponsor him myself. I've been separated from him before and I hated being away from him, I don't think I could do it again. Plus the waiting time would double for the visa from what I've heard.)

Again thanks in advance and don't hesitate to pry for anything I may have missed! :D:help:

IR-5 for Parents

02-28-14 -> I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox.
03-03-14 -> USCIS received. (Priority Date)
03-09-14 -> NOA1 received.
06-04-14 -> NOA2 received. Approved.
06-18-14 -> NVC Received case.
07-03-14 -> NVC Assigned Case#(Got Case# & IIN Over the Phone).
07-22-14 -> DS-261 Completed.
07-25-14 -> AOS fee Payment.
07-29-14 -> AOS fee shows PAID.
07-30-14 -> AOS Package Sent.
07-31-14 -> AOS Package delivered.
09-15-14 -> IV fee Payment.

09-17-14 -> IV fee Shows PAID.

09-18-14 -> IV Package Sent.
09-20-14 -> IV Package Delivered.

10-20-14 -> Case Complete.

10-28-14 -> Case Complete Email Received.

1) Since I am not working and I have no income, would money in the bank help show we can support ourselves? If so, how much? To get by just with assets, you'd need $54.636 in the bank. So guess that's not an option for you.

2) We do not have children yet, if we were to have a child before we receive the visa (that is if we don't apply right away), would the amount required go up for sponsorship? If so, by how much? Currently you need an income of $18,212. With a child you would need $22,887. If your mom was going to co-sponsor then the child, assuming it was a US citizen, wouldn't change anything. Your mom's income just has to cover her own household plus your husband. So would be $18,212 if she lives alone but more if she is married or has other dependants. The poverty guidelines do change over time so if you apply next year or the year after then these could be slightly higher.

3) If my mom co-sponsors, do we have to move in with her or to her state (my home state) because we really want to move to California, this is where my husband would get a job the quickest because of his industry (events/music)? No, your mom just needs to be legally resident in the United States.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi guys,

Thanks a million for all of the information, you don't know how much it means to me! Will definitely read up on the forum here for more details and when the time comes, I can't wait to share my process with the rest of you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.