Talat

sending money from Morocco to US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all Moroccan members,

My wife is becoming citizen on 18th Nov. Her father is on a visit visa and is staying with us. She wants to file I-130 & i-864 concurrent applications for him. To pay for the fees, her mother (from Morocco) needs to send money (equivalent to $1500) to my wife in US. Anyone can suggest the best way to do this. Thanks.

Filed: Timeline

Hi all Moroccan members,

My wife is becoming citizen on 18th Nov. Her father is on a visit visa and is staying with us. She wants to file I-130 & i-864 concurrent applications for him. To pay for the fees, her mother (from Morocco) needs to send money (equivalent to $1500) to my wife in US. Anyone can suggest the best way to do this. Thanks.

She has to covert her Durhams (MAD) at the bank into American dollars then do a transfer like Western Union, at this point she is gonna lose money due to the conversion rate when she has to convert in US dollars, but it's the safe route.

Edited by foreverwaiting

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

She has to covert her Durhams (MAD) at the bank into American dollars then do a transfer like Western Union, at this point she is gonna lose money due to the conversion rate when she has to convert in US dollars, but it's the safe route.

This would be true, but Moroccan banks will not convert money to US dollars unless the person requesting to do so is a US citizen, or already holds a US visa (in that case, only if it is in the airport.) You will also find that Western Unions and Money Gram in Morocco will only allow you to receive money. With very few exceptions, money cannot be sent out of Morocco. It is against Moroccan law. The only exception I know of is if one has a child who is a student abroad, then bank transfers of very strictly controlled amounts are allowed out. Trust me. I lived there and ran into this issue when I wanted my mother to buy our return tickets online. We looked into every avenue, and it's just not possible to get money out of Morocco. Sorry, OP.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

she could do it in Ceuta if she has a visa to get through

The problem is that a Moroccan can't take or send Moroccan dirhams out of the country, period, and Moroccans can't convert MAD to another currency except under certain circumstances. I left some USD with my husband on my last trip before he got his visa so he would have spending money on his trip over, and he didn't have any hassle carrying that out, but he couldn't bring MAD, and he couldn't have converted MAD to USD himself, legally.

If they have an American or European friend whom they trust who is currently in Morocco, perhaps they could ask that person to exchange the currency and send it (or carry it out and then send it). Or if that person has a bank account they use from inside or outside of Morocco, they could do a transfer. My understanding is that Moroccans usually move money out of the country through family members or friends of other nationalities.

I'm the USC.

11/05/2007........Conditional permanent residency effective date.

01/10/2008........Two-year green card in hand.

08/08/2009........Our son was born <3

08/08/2009........Filed for removal of conditions.

12/16/2009........ROC was approved.

11/05/2010........Eligible for Naturalization.

03/01/2011........Separated.

11/05/2012........Eligible for Naturalization.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

The problem is that a Moroccan can't take or send Moroccan dirhams out of the country, period, and Moroccans can't convert MAD to another currency except under certain circumstances. I left some USD with my husband on my last trip before he got his visa so he would have spending money on his trip over, and he didn't have any hassle carrying that out, but he couldn't bring MAD, and he couldn't have converted MAD to USD himself, legally.

If they have an American or European friend whom they trust who is currently in Morocco, perhaps they could ask that person to exchange the currency and send it (or carry it out and then send it). Or if that person has a bank account they use from inside or outside of Morocco, they could do a transfer. My understanding is that Moroccans usually move money out of the country through family members or friends of other nationalities.

Ceuta is controlled by Spain. Thats why she can do it there. I received money from my ex-husband when he was still in Morocco and he did it from there.

Filed: Timeline

I was speaking with my fiance in Casablanca today, when his brother was moving to the States, they both went to a local bank there in Casablanca and they asked for his passport and they had no problems converting the MAD into US dollars. Anyway, that is all they did and it was successful.

Timeline

Ceuta is controlled by Spain. Thats why she can do it there. I received money from my ex-husband when he was still in Morocco and he did it from there.

If she's not from the north of Morocco, she's not getting in to Ceuta..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It's not illegal for Moroccans to change dirhams to dollars - it's illegal to send money out of Morocco. You "Might" be able to send USD or Euros to the US but def. not dirham. As others have said it's very difficult to send money out of Morocco.

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

If she's not from the north of Morocco, she's not getting in to Ceuta..

I'm sorry brother but this is not true, I was born and raised in Casablanca and I have been to melilla/Ceuta several times with my family

. As a matter of fact,we don't hold residency in the north part of Morocco. To get in you only need to show your Moroccan passport.

To convert Moroccan Dirham to any other currency, it's a piece of cake, and it can be done without going to the bank. Hello the Bazarr in old medina in Casablanca. Those people out there will convert any currency for you, they can even send money for you out of the country. There is a different secure approach to send money out of Morocco but I don't feel comfortable discussing it in a public forum.

Good luck.

07/07 Received a 5 years F-1 Visa in Casablanca Embassy

06/21/08 I got married to my lovely wife

10/07/08 AoS mailed!!!

12/07/08 AoS Received in Chicago Office

10/16/08 Received NOA and the money order got cashed

11/06/08 Biometrics Appointement

11/06/08 Biometrics Done

02/05/2009 Received interview letter

20/12/2008 EAD & AP approved

24/12/2008 EAD approved again( :oO)

02/25/2009 GC Approved

03/02/2009 GC received

01/05/2011 I-751 Mailed.

01/10/2011 Check got Cashed.

03/08/2011 Hell Ya I got approved ( Thanks to WM Tom Langford)

Timeline

I'm sorry brother but this is not true, I was born and raised in Casablanca and I have been to melilla/Ceuta several times with my family

. As a matter of fact,we don't hold residency in the north part of Morocco. To get in you only need to show your Moroccan passport.

To convert Moroccan Dirham to any other currency, it's a piece of cake, and it can be done without going to the bank. Hello the Bazarr in old medina in Casablanca. Those people out there will convert any currency for you, they can even send money for you out of the country. There is a different secure approach to send money out of Morocco but I don't feel comfortable discussing it in a public forum.

Good luck.

I'm not a brother...

I said that because I actually spoke to the guards at the border of Ceuta. My husband is from Casablanca. They would not let him in, even though our daughter and I (American citizens) were with him. They told us that unless you're from the north, you can't enter without a visa. This was just in May. I don't know when you went last or what your circumstances were. And I wouldn't tell people to go asking around about money matters in the old medina if they don't know who they're looking for.. That's just me..

Edited by squeaky580

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all Moroccan members,

$ 1500 is not a lot of money , you can give it to here and she can pay you back later, save yourself the hassle

[size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][u][b][color="#800080"][i]Naturalization Journey[/i][/color][/b][/u][i]
[color="#800080"]05/05/2012: N-400 sent [/color][color="#800080"]05/07/2012: USCIS received package
05/08/2012: Priority date
05/10/2012: NOA date
05/11/2012: Electronic notification from USCIS / Check cashed
05/14/2012: NOA received
05/23/2012: Biometrics notice received
06/08/2012: Early Biometrics (appointment scheduled for 06/14)
07/03/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for interview scheduling
07/05/2012:[/color][/i][/size][/font][i][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"] Electronic notification: [/color][/size][/font][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]scheduled for interview
07/09/2012: Interview notice received
08/13/2012: Interview
[/size][/font][/color][/font][/i][/size][i][size="2"][font="Arial"][size="1"][color="#800080"]08/27/2012: [/color][color="#800080"]Electronic notification:[/color][color="#800080"]placed in line for oath scheduling[/color][/size][/font][/size]
[size="2"][font="Lucida Sans Unicode"][color="#800080"][font="Arial"][size="1"]08/29/2012: Oath notice recei[size="1"]ved [/size][/size][/font][/color][/font][/size][size="1"][color="#800080"]( no status update )
09/11/2012: Oath ceremony
[/color][/size]
[/i] [i] [/i] [i] [/i][size="2"][i] [/i][/size]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.