Christine + Blake

a time question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, I know this is probably asked a lot, so sorry for the repetitive nature of the question. I really couldn't understand those processing time charts

I'm a Canadian, wanting to marry my American fiance and move there to be with him. Our wedding is scheduled for next september, but the wait of being here in Canada is killing me so we're considering doing the legal marriage this december in order to cut some time off our wait. I'd really rather get legally married on my september wedding day though, so I'm trying to weigh if its worth it.

so the question is, from your initial filing, how long did you have to wait until you could enter the united states to stay?

thanks so much, I'm really torn about this issue so any advice could help.

event.png

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

Hi, I know this is probably asked a lot, so sorry for the repetitive nature of the question. I really couldn't understand those processing time charts

I'm a Canadian, wanting to marry my American fiance and move there to be with him. Our wedding is scheduled for next september, but the wait of being here in Canada is killing me so we're considering doing the legal marriage this december in order to cut some time off our wait. I'd really rather get legally married on my september wedding day though, so I'm trying to weigh if its worth it.

so the question is, from your initial filing, how long did you have to wait until you could enter the united states to stay?

After your marriage, you can file I-130 petition immediately with all the required documents including marriage certificate. It will take around 5 months.

Then NVC process - it can take from 1 to 2 months

Then Consulate process - Since you are from Canada, Montreal is the only consulate that process immigrant visa. The queue over there is bit lengthy. I think 4 or 5 months, but someone from there will give exact picture.

Now you do the math - all are average timings. There will be plus or minus in the process.

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok lets see, the current time-line for K-1 fiancee visa is in between 7months-9 months from start to finish. The cr-1 visa(spousal) is taking about a year. I suggest you two submit the fiancee paperwork asap and that way you can marry in September. :)

Unfortunately either way you will have to wait to move there but fiancee visa could get you there by may-july :)

where is canada are you located? as this could impact your timeline, Montreal is still quite backlogged

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Filed my K-1 fiance towards the end of May 2009, August 2009 passed my interview got my visa and I moved to america and married my husband in the same month. Took us 4 months, then filed my AOS in October 1st 2009, and had my green card Dec 3rd 2009. Only took about 2 months with no interview to get the green card.

Iv seen a lot of different timelines for people from canada but CR-1 does seem to be taking longer because you have to wait for an interview. K-1s can now book their own interviews and can change the date if they need to after as well. Also I heard the filing cost is being lowerd on november 23rd - not too sure on that tho.

Edit - K-1 at montreal can book their own interview. But if your near vancouver they are going a bit faster with interviews.

Edited by Inky

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

If you do the K-1 Visa, you can move to the US relatively quickly 4-5 month, marry within 90 days, but then you have to stay in America until you adjust your status, which takes another 4-5 months.

If you do a CR-1 Visa, you get married as soon as you want and then file your paperwork, but you have to stay in Canada while you wait (you can visit, but you cannot live in the US).

We got married and started the CR-1 process in February and our interview is November 30.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm just worried that we might not have enough time for the k1 visa by now.. I wouldn't want to risk it since we have already put a downpayment on our venue

event.png

Timeline

I'm just worried that we might not have enough time for the k1 visa by now.. I wouldn't want to risk it since we have already put a downpayment on our venue

If you are not marrying till september you should be fine with the k-1 fiancee visa if you start it asap... the only other choice is get married and file cr-1 spousal visa but then you are going to have to cancel the venue anyways.

Edited by Canadiandggal

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.