anagd3

*** 3 years when to apply? confused ****

12 posts in this topic

I think we send the documents too early. I am applying under the 3 years rule so my question is:

I got my green card April 2008

so I should send my N-400 in February 2011?

what if I send it later than that date?

Please I would appreciate your help thank you!

qSdZm8.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think we send the documents too early. I am applying under the 3 years rule so my question is:

I got my green card April 2008

so I should send my N-400 in February 2011?

what if I send it later than that date?

Please I would appreciate your help thank you!

Three years is the marriage privilege, no maximum date to apply or don't even have to apply at all. But then do have to keep your green card current. Earliest date to send in your application is adding three years to the date listed on your green card, LPR since that date plus three years added to the year minus 90 days from that new date. Can count backwards on a 2011 calendar. But you also have to be married at least three years on that determined application date.

Just download and read http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf to also make sure you meet the resident requirements.

Three years is the marriage privilege, no maximum date to apply or don't even have to apply at all. But then do have to keep your green card current. Earliest date to send in your application is adding three years to the date listed on your green card, LPR since that date plus three years added to the year minus 90 days from that new date. Can count backwards on a 2011 calendar. But you also have to be married at least three years on that determined application date.

Just download and read http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf to also make sure you meet the resident requirements.

Yes , I have read that form thank you but still I don't get it.

We have been married 4 1/2 years ....

ok so April 2008 + 3 years = April 2011

so Time frame to send the application between Feb and Apr 2011 Right?

Thanks ;-)

Edited by anagd3
qSdZm8.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Thanks ;-)

You have to look at the the date on your GC. That's what counts. Once you have that date, you have two options. You go for the 3 year or the 5 year time frame to file your N400. When you opt to wait for 5 yrs. than it doesn't matter whether you're married or not. The 3 year time frame is only possible if married for at least 3 years to the same person, live together and will still be married at the day of your interview.

You can file your N400 - 90 days prior to the date mentioned on your GC. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS 3 MONTHS!!! Be careful with that.

Naturalization Journey

7/16/2010 N400 sent to Texas Lockbox

7/20/2010 Delivery Notification N400 Package

7/28/2010 Check Cashed

7/29/2010 NOA received per mail / Notice date = 7/26/2010

8/09/2010 NOA received per mail / FP / Notice date = 8/05/2010

9/03/2010 Fingerprints

9/27/2010 Yellow letter received per mail / Notice date = 9/23/2010

10/21/2010 Case touched and file send to local office

10/29/2010 NOA2 interview received per mail / FP / Notice date = 10/22/2010

11/23/2010 Citizenship Interview - APPROVED

11/23/2010 Oath Ceremony in Newark, NJ - U.S. CITIZEN

11/24/2010 Received my passport

11/24/2010 Took care of my SSC and Driver's License

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

hi your time starts when you arrive poe first thsy stamp your passport, and tell you to remove conditions two years minus 90 days, don't get mixed up with how long you were married, it's when your green card date started, did you get your noa2 approvl, then you can apply n-400 if you want to after feb 2011 some people have a ten year green card, that can choose when ever thay want to be us citizens,

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can file your N400 - 90 days prior to the date mentioned on your GC. THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS 3 MONTHS!!! Be careful with that.

Yes this confuses a lot of people and it is very important. A lot of people actually apply about 80-85 days rather then right on the 90 day as people have had issues with it. Best to wait a few days and then send it in to be sure...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Thanks ;-)

Say your green card lists resident since 04/15/08, 3rd green card anniversary date is 04/15/11.

Earliest date you can apply is counting 90 days backwards from 04/15/11 counting 04/15/11 as day one, that works out to 01/16/11 that you can date and mail in your application.

Now, was this so difficult?

By the way, 01/16/11 is on a Sunday, so if the 16th is the day, should send it out on the 17th on a Monday. USCIS does not care if you are a day late, but send it in a day early, they may reject it.

• 6 months later...

Well I finally fill out the application crossing the five years and over writing 3 years. I went to the interview the firts week of May and I will have the ceremony of naturalization by the end of June!

Now I am thinking if I should apply for the passport at the ceremony place or later...

:thumbs:

qSdZm8.png

Timeline

Already had that DOS form DS-11 filled out for my wife and stepdaughter before their oath ceremony. Six pages long, first four are the instructions, last two is the actual form. The want all six pages printed out single sided. Seems weird to me why they want of copy of their instructions, but who am I to question this, just did it.

First thing I did when coming home after the oath ceremony was to have an oath ceremony signing at home. Just follow the instructions and sign your name in cursive exactly the way it is printed. Ha, stepdaughter followed that without question, but my wife wanted to use her own fancy signature, said just do it. Ha, reminded her that the judge that married us told her to write out her full name just like it was typed, not only in front of him, but in front of our two witnesses, she didn't give him a hard time, just did it. Why are you giving me a hard time?

That brought about another question, why doesn't the USCIS have you sign your certificates in front of an officer? Just just hand those to you and tell you to get out of there. But the last time, was told to carefully read your certificate for errors, if you walk out with errors, will cost you an extra 400 bucks plus an eternity wait.

Then I scan and print out copies of that certificate, second time, we were told to do that, second time was with my stepdaughter to be clear on this. You need that copy to apply for a new certificate in case yours is lost for any reason. Brings about a third question, doesn't the USCIS keep copies of your certificate? Apparently, not.

Second time we were told to go to SS first, never did that, wanted that passport first, no problems, and can take that much cheaper easier to get passport to your SS office as they also want to see that or your certificate. But still hope and pray the DOS doesn't lose your certificate. Still sending it from the exact same address, but via first class mail that is untraceable. While if you pay extra, have to sign for that much cheaper passport in a heavy cardboard container. Why do they do it that way? Yet another question, could save the cost of that envelop and postage if they just jam that certificate in with your passport. And would be traceable.

Only way I can answer these questions, dealing with the government, not the brightest people in the world with major thoughts of working for a couple of hours than enjoying 75% of their highest wages for an early retirement with full medical benefits.

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your information. I will try to follow your tips for the DOS DS-11.

I thought that they were going to do all the process at the Oath Ceremony...

How long did the passport get processed?

I got my passport in less than 3 weeks!

qSdZm8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.