larry008

Documents I need to bring at the Oath Ceremony

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I just got the letter for me to go to the Oath Ceremony, but it asks me to bring

*The Letter with all the question asnswered

*Permanent Resident Card

*Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document

*Any Immigration documents you may have

First two are fine, but what is the reentry permit? I've never traveled outside of the US, but I have a form I-94, do they mean that one? I tried to find it but I couldn't, do I need to send them back the Letter and request for another date for the ceremony because I need to obtain another I-94? And the 'any immigration documents you may have', what do I need to bring on this one? Please help! Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I just got the letter for me to go to the Oath Ceremony, but it asks me to bring

*The Letter with all the question asnswered

*Permanent Resident Card

*Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document

*Any Immigration documents you may have

First two are fine, but what is the reentry permit? I've never traveled outside of the US, but I have a form I-94, do they mean that one? I tried to find it but I couldn't, do I need to send them back the Letter and request for another date for the ceremony because I need to obtain another I-94? And the 'any immigration documents you may have', what do I need to bring on this one? Please help! Thanks!

Re entry is for people who have stayed a long time outside the US - too long to re-enter on the GC

I will be taking my passport /GC / driver's license / and the oath ceremony letter.

Unless there was something complicated (refugee etc) about your case then that is all you need

Edited by Alan the Red

moresheep400100.jpg

Take your passport to show (if you traveled) exit/entry stamps.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Timeline

Thank you Alan the Red! Well my Status isn't refugee, but just got me wondered because the on the letter 4 of them got marked as "you must bring the following"

I am sat by the window waiting for :

Birthday card from daughter mailed monday LAST WEEK !

Maturing bank of england bond letter - has to be back in England before the 17th !! (No chance)

USCIS ceremony letter

A watched pot never boils....

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

I am sat by the window waiting for :

Birthday card from daughter mailed monday LAST WEEK !

Maturing bank of england bond letter - has to be back in England before the 17th !! (No chance)

USCIS ceremony letter

A watched pot never boils....

I wrote this 2 minutes ago but the mailman has just been and there is a letter form the USCIS !!!! From the local office

It has to be the oath letter I have been waiting for !

left a message for wifey to call me from work and I will open it then

Stuff the birthday card !

Looking at it all sealed still.... hah !

moresheep400100.jpg

Timeline

opened it

December 2 at a performing arts school 30 miles away

The uscis is 100 miles away

It is 4pm so wifey can just take a half day off - perfect !

and I should have my passport before xmas...

phew !!!!!!

moresheep400100.jpg

My spouse went to her oath ceremony yesrterday in Erie, PA. All they asked from her was her green card and the oath letter with the questions on the back answered. Now that she is a US Citizen, her Philippines passport is no longer vaild. She'll be applying for a US passport soon.

Timeline

My spouse went to her oath ceremony yesrterday in Erie, PA. All they asked from her was her green card and the oath letter with the questions on the back answered. Now that she is a US Citizen, her Philippines passport is no longer vaild. She'll be applying for a US passport soon.

Congrats to her - must be tough to have your home passport and nationaity invalidated. She has burned her boats I guess so it's onwards and upwards and no looking back !

moresheep400100.jpg

Congrats to her - must be tough to have your home passport and nationaity invalidated. She has burned her boats I guess so it's onwards and upwards and no looking back !

Actually, she can apply for dual citizenship with the Philippine consulate and reinstate that passport. The closest consulate is in New York. The Philippines allows former citizens to reacquire Philippine citizenship.

However, she's applying for her US passport early next week in case she needs to travel.

Timeline

Actually, she can apply for dual citizenship with the Philippine consulate and reinstate that passport. The closest consulate is in New York. The Philippines allows former citizens to reacquire Philippine citizenship.

However, she's applying for her US passport early next week in case she needs to travel.

That is good news. Shame she has to technically lose it in the first place. Wish they wouldn't play these games.

I will be somewhat concerned about mailing the original certificate and I think the authorized person who swears one in for the first passport (at the post office in my case) should also be authorized to certify a copy. However, they are not. About one in a billion goes astray so all will be well.

You have an extra step before you are all sorted but at least there is no language test to reinstate dual nationality. My written English test had faulty writing because I havent written a letter since 1980 - all computer !

Just let it end...

moresheep400100.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why isn't her Philippine passport still valid? Nothing to do with getting US citizenship to invalidate a foreign passport. It is in the sense that she no longer can enter or leave the USA with it as her Philippine passport could only be used for that with her green card that was surrendered. As a US citizen she must have a US passport to enter or leave this country. But if traveling to and from any other of the 200 some odd countries, her Philippine passport is just as good as it was before she became a US citizen.

With some countries, if they look at your US passport and see that your place of birth is in that country, they won't let you in unless you keep and maintain a passport for that country.

The good old Department of State, they do trust their 9,000 some odd agents to make sure the photograph you are supplying is of you, but don't trust them to make a copy of your US Naturalization Certificate.

Why isn't her Philippine passport still valid? Nothing to do with getting US citizenship to invalidate a foreign passport. It is in the sense that she no longer can enter or leave the USA with it as her Philippine passport could only be used for that with her green card that was surrendered. As a US citizen she must have a US passport to enter or leave this country. But if traveling to and from any other of the 200 some odd countries, her Philippine passport is just as good as it was before she became a US citizen.

With some countries, if they look at your US passport and see that your place of birth is in that country, they won't let you in unless you keep and maintain a passport for that country.

The good old Department of State, they do trust their 9,000 some odd agents to make sure the photograph you are supplying is of you, but don't trust them to make a copy of your US Naturalization Certificate.

She won't be able to travel outside the US, then re-enter without the US passport since she had to surrender her green card. Even with just a US passport, she can still enter the Philippines and just show our marriage certificate that was issued in the Philippines and get a 1-year balikbayan visa.

She can still get dual citizenship by applying at the Philippines consulate. I know that with some countries, once you become a citizen of another country, they can lose citizenship in their country of birth.

Timeline

She won't be able to travel outside the US, then re-enter without the US passport since she had to surrender her green card. Even with just a US passport, she can still enter the Philippines and just show our marriage certificate that was issued in the Philippines and get a 1-year balikbayan visa.

She can still get dual citizenship by applying at the Philippines consulate. I know that with some countries, once you become a citizen of another country, they can lose citizenship in their country of birth.

Australia has relented on this since 2002 and so Australians can get their Australian citizenship back now and become duals. Rupert Murdoch has not bothered to apply and remains a US Citizen only.

UK Government takes the view that a verbal oath is worthless so I will remain a dual.

Of course I don't think it's worthless though I shall be wearing my Union Jack underpants and a smirk at the time.

moresheep400100.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.