visaveteran

Veterans Day

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gary, I want to salute your father for his service and heroism in the Battle of the Bulge.

However, I must differ with your view of the FSU and the honoring of its vets. I say this feeling that "honoring" is best shown through real benefits and services, not parades. The Russians still have their parades for the old heroes of the great war but do little (if anything) to provide any real concrete help to veterans. Fortunately, for me and other vets, the USA has the GI Bill for education, medical health care system and disability benefit payments. For the record, I can't speak about Ukraine, having never been there, but I doubt it's much different. So, I don't give the Russians much credit for caring about their vets.

My wife's son served his Army tour and got nothing after leaving. The Russians don't even pay their "draftees" any money during their time of military service beyond monthly "cigarette money." And afterward, no GI Bill for them. No nothing. Many older vets and younger ones are homeless and live on park benches. I think Russia offered cheaper flats and other benefits for WWII vets under Brezhnev but that ended when he died.

And, like the Vietnam vets, the Russian Afghanistan War vets suffer from having been ordered to withdraw from the battle in shame, and the issues that provokes in combat vets. My guess is the Russian higher ups were not too happy with these soldiers, despite the fact that pulling out of the war was not of their doing. There are reports of these same vets suffering from the effects we call PTSD. I doubt there are any parades for these vets just as there were none for the Vietnam vets...at least not until Ronald Reagan became the first president to openly honor Vietnam vets and referred to the war as an "honorable cause." Since then, the public began to offer Vietnam vets a measure of respect and that process has grown and continued until the present. Three Vietnam vets have run for President: Al Gore, John Kerry and John McCain. I guess we've come a long way from the "Rambo" image of who we are.

As an interesting aside, I had a personal connection with a Russian vet a few years ago, I met this Russian man (an older boyfriend of my wife's friend). My wife and I met up with this couple and went for a car ride up into the beautiful Siberian mountains. During the ride, this guy kept saying to me: "we are comrades." His English was not great but he kept saying "we are comrades." I didn't understand until he explained that he was a Russian "Vietnam vet." He said: "After America left Vietnam, we (the Russian military) entered it." I really never heard much about the Russian military being in Vietnam after we withdrew, but obviously there are, indeed, Russian Vietnam vets. I found it amusing that he called me comrade given I took a bullet from a Russian made AK-47 through my leg. Thanks, comrade!

I would like to make clear that I admire that the PEOPLE of Ukraine have not forgotten those men and women that fought in the war...the Great Patriotic War...or "2nd War" as Alla now calls it. I do not defend the government or what they pay someone or what benefits they give. What you say is a shame and I am glad our son will not have to serve in the Ukrainian military and so is Alla, very glad.

That said, a WW2 veteran in Ukraine is accorded every respect by everyone, seemingly every where he/she goes. many of them will wear a medal or ribbon pinned to their coat. People open the door for them and thank them. They jump up to give up their seats on the bus (there is also a general respect of older people)

I admire the general regard given to WW2 vets in Ukraine and I know they get similar treatment in Russia, and probably Belarus I assume. They do not give the same respect to veterans of the Afghan adventure, so it may be a specific "thanks for saving the homeland from the Facist Pig" thing rather than a general respect for veterans.

But again, I admire soldiers who did thier duty, I do not care from which country, and I admire the Ukrainians for not forgetting these heros. That's all.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

VV, we have had some shame of our own. My father's "wounds" were severe burns he suffered when his tank was destroyed. He recovered after many weeks and was returned to his unit at the end of the war just before they went into Germany and they gave him one of the few M26 Pershing tanks in the region at that time. There is a History Channel episode about the 3rd Armored and they show some of the Pershings in Cologne, Germany. There were exactly THREE Pershing tanks in the tank company that went into Cologne and I always thought that at least some of the footage was very likely that of my Dad's tank.

Anyway...he did not get a purple heart for his wounds because it was not consider a "wound" until the Korean War. (technically in medical terms a burn is not a "wound") They did not give purple hearts for burns! Later, after my father had passed away a buddy of his from the VFW helped my Mom to file for his purple heart when they made the award retroactive and included WW2 vets. She had to dig through the records but she finally got him his purple heart for his injuries. I always thought that was a pretty F'd up deal.

I also think our VA medical system is a terrible hassle. I wish that any vet could simply go to any doctor and get the care they need.

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

VV, we have had some shame of our own. My father's "wounds" were severe burns he suffered when his tank was destroyed. He recovered after many weeks and was returned to his unit at the end of the war just before they went into Germany and they gave him one of the few M26 Pershing tanks in the region at that time. There is a History Channel episode about the 3rd Armored and they show some of the Pershings in Cologne, Germany. There were exactly THREE Pershing tanks in the tank company that went into Cologne and I always thought that at least some of the footage was very likely that of my Dad's tank.

Anyway...he did not get a purple heart for his wounds because it was not consider a "wound" until the Korean War. (technically in medical terms a burn is not a "wound") They did not give purple hearts for burns! Later, after my father had passed away a buddy of his from the VFW helped my Mom to file for his purple heart when they made the award retroactive and included WW2 vets. She had to dig through the records but she finally got him his purple heart for his injuries. I always thought that was a pretty F'd up deal.

I also think our VA medical system is a terrible hassle. I wish that any vet could simply go to any doctor and get the care they need.

I am surprised to hear that combat related burns were not considered "wounds." Especially considering how often the US forces used flamethrowers in combat. I'm glad your father got his Purple Heart but it's a shame it took so long, and only after he died.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I would like to make clear that I admire that the PEOPLE of Ukraine have not forgotten those men and women that fought in the war...the Great Patriotic War...or "2nd War" as Alla now calls it. I do not defend the government or what they pay someone or what benefits they give. What you say is a shame and I am glad our son will not have to serve in the Ukrainian military and so is Alla, very glad.

That said, a WW2 veteran in Ukraine is accorded every respect by everyone, seemingly every where he/she goes. many of them will wear a medal or ribbon pinned to their coat. People open the door for them and thank them. They jump up to give up their seats on the bus (there is also a general respect of older people)

I admire the general regard given to WW2 vets in Ukraine and I know they get similar treatment in Russia, and probably Belarus I assume. They do not give the same respect to veterans of the Afghan adventure, so it may be a specific "thanks for saving the homeland from the Facist Pig" thing rather than a general respect for veterans.

But again, I admire soldiers who did thier duty, I do not care from which country, and I admire the Ukrainians for not forgetting these heros. That's all.

Yes, it's true the general population of Russia does give WWII vets high respect. I have seen people give them a seat on the metro, etc. And, of course. they deserve it.

Timeline

I am surprised to hear that combat related burns were not considered "wounds." Especially considering how often the US forces used flamethrowers in combat. I'm glad your father got his Purple Heart but it's a shame it took so long, and only after he died.

It is true and I always thought it was a raw deal. Guys got purple hearts for minor wounds and burn victims did not. That has changed now which is good, though it is small consolation for someone severly disfigured. Fortunately my fathers burns were extensive but mostly 2nd degree and he recovered in a few weeks.

Gary And Alla

the 3rd Armored and they show some of the Pershings in Cologne, Germany. There were exactly THREE Pershing tanks in the tank company that went into Cologne and I always thought that at least some of the footage was very likely that of my Dad's tank.

I've seen your dad on TV!

Huzzah!

Anyway...he did not get a purple heart for his wounds because it was not consider a "wound" ...

I always thought that was a pretty F'd up deal.

I'd have to agree.

I knew a guy in the AF that was at Khobar Towers when they were bombed. He said the blast woke him up and in the darkness he stepped on some glass. He was awarded the Purple Heart. He thought that was a pretty F'd up deal too, especially since that particular award helped him get promoted. "Uh, dude, I stepped on some glass." "Yeah, sergeant, you stepped on glass while responding to enemy action. You're a hero!" He didn't buy it.

I recently went to the VA hospital here in Cincinnati. After hearing horror stories for years and years about how terrible it was, I really didn't want to go. But, I was left with no choice at the time because I was unemployed and didn't have any insurance. My knee was locked up and I could barely move. I had to go somewhere.

They ran my social security number and proceeded to give me a X-ray, blood test and then took fluid out of my joint. After a few hours they sent me home with a prescription and diagnosis of "pseudogout." A few days later I was back in fighting shape and good as new. A few weeks later I had a follow-up visit. I was pleasantly surprised by the VA's facilities and the up-to-date care I received.

The grand total for all that care, prescription, tests, etc.?

$68. And that was only for the follow-up visit because the ER, tests, prescriptions, etc. were all free. I made too much money last year for them to waive all the fees but even in the "top tier" I only have to pay pennies for some pretty decent medical care. Would I go anywhere else now?

Not a chance! At the VA I was someone who they were proud to serve because I'd served them, not just some number who was there to inconvenience the staff and hassle the doctor before he got his money from the HMO.

I'd encourage all of you who are vets to take another look at the VA. I didn't get to see the "old" VA, but the new one is pretty nice.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.