sdchargers

Do the tax returns submitted with the I864 have to be signed?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am a US citizen and my wife is on AOS. We just did our biometrics and we have a joint sponsor in case my I864 isn't approved ( I have a temporary job).

Our sponsor has just sent us his I864 form, copies of tax returns and W2s...

She gave us copies of her tax returns filed electronically with H&R Block. They have a watermark on each page saying "copy, do not file". The tax returns are completely filled out, they also have all the schedules ...

Since it is a copy of a tax return that was filed electronically, there's no signature on the copy. Can this be a problem?

The income on the tax returns match what is on the I864 and on her W2s.

If we get an RFE would they just ask for signed copies or could they ask for IRS transcripts? ( don't want to put my aunt through that hassle).

Thanks

I am the US citizen, my wife is the applicant.

Adjusting from J1 Trainee visa:

August 25th, 2010: Filed AOS package to USCIS

August 27th, 2010: Package received by USCIS

September 2nd, 2010: Received I797 for I-130, I-485, I-765

October 14th, 2010: Received biometrics appointment letter (will be on Nov 5th)

AOS interview will be on January 13th, 2011!

January 13th, 2011: Approved at the day of the interview

Next step, removal of conditions

My tax returns were the same (printout from Turbotax - with the copy, do not file watermark). Mine were not signed, and it was not a problem.

08/12/2010 => Day 00 => Package sent to Chicago lockbox

08/13/2010 => Day 01 => Package received and signed for in Chicago

08/23/2010 => Day 11 => Email and Text receipt notification

08/23/2010 => Day 11 => Cheques cashed - $1010 and $355

08/26/2010 => Day 14 => NOAs received in the mail

08/30/2010 => Day 18 => Received biometrics appointment letter (for 9/23)

09/03/2010 => Day 22 => Did walk-in biometrics

09/16/2010 => Day 35 => Received interview letter for 10/21

10/15/2010 => Day 64 => AP received

10/20/2010 => Day 69 => EAC received

10/21/2010 => Day 70 => AOS Interview, approved, I-551 stamp and card production ordered

10/30/2010 => Day 79 => Green card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My tax returns were the same (printout from Turbotax - with the copy, do not file watermark). Mine were not signed, and it was not a problem.

Thank you for this good news and for the quick reply. I'm impressed by how fast the process was for you based on your timeline!

I am the US citizen, my wife is the applicant.

Adjusting from J1 Trainee visa:

August 25th, 2010: Filed AOS package to USCIS

August 27th, 2010: Package received by USCIS

September 2nd, 2010: Received I797 for I-130, I-485, I-765

October 14th, 2010: Received biometrics appointment letter (will be on Nov 5th)

AOS interview will be on January 13th, 2011!

January 13th, 2011: Approved at the day of the interview

Next step, removal of conditions

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You are always better to call the IRS help line and get official transcripts--they are accepted without question whereas any tiny thing in your returns might result in an RFE. It only takes about a week to get the transcripts, so call the IRS right away.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.