jeng

passport in maiden name but greencard in married name

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am planning to visit the philippines next year but i am worried about the names on my passport and greencard. My passport is still valid until 2012 but it is still under my maiden name. Has anybody used their passport under maiden name and went back to the US presenting their greencard under their maiden name recently? Will I have any problem with the immigration entering back to US? What do I need to do? I planned to get a new passport under my married name to prevent any problem but i learned that i an only get it if i apply personally in washington, dc. i live in georgia so it will be impossible for now for me to go to DC.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

thank you.

jeng

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is fine. You just need a copy of your marriage certificate with you. Make sure your tickets are booked in the name that is on your passport.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

If you still have time before your trip, why not have your passport ammended to your married name? If you need to go to Washington for a personal appearance then go..sooner or later you will renew your passport and personal appearance is a requirement. I renewed and ammended mine before my trip and it was easier..my passport and greencard with the same names.

Removal of Conditions :

August 16, 2010 - Petition received by USCIS Vermont Center

August 20, 2010 - NOA1 received

October 4, 2010 - Biometrics

January 3, 2011 - Permanent 10 yr. Green Card Received.

I traveled home before without amending my passport, with my married name on my gc. They didn't even ask to see my marriage cert at JFK when I arrived, but I did bring it with me, just in case. Better safe than sorry! If you have time and are so inclined, you can get the passport amended. I didn't bother (that was back in 07, and it wasn't even a year old!) and I don't think I'll bother when it expires (because of the whole personal appearance requirement mentioned by jom above).

I-129F sent .........................8/08/2006

Interview............................3/23/2007

VISA RECEIVED .......................3/29/2007

Sent AOS package to CHI..............7/12/2007

Biometrics in CLE, OH................8/14/2007

Interview in CLE, OH................10/16/2007

GREEN CARD RECEIVED.................11/15/2007

Sent ROC to CSC......................8/10/2009

NOA1.................................8/12/2009

Biometrics...........................9/18/2009

Card Production Ordered ............10/01/2009

Sent N400 to AZ lockbox ............11/08/2010

Application received................11/12/2010

Check cashed........................11/15/2010

Biometrics (CLE)....................12/03/2010

Interview (CLE).....................01/14/2010

Oath Taking (CLE)...................02/04/2010

Filed: Timeline

I travel all the time with my GC in my married name and my passport (and tickets) in my former name. I have never had difficulty re-entering, and stopped carrying my marriage certificate long ago. But definitely bring it with you.... if only to give you a sense of security. :)

Moving from the Philippines forum to the Travel section.

iagree.gif

It will be okay.I never had any problems doing that.I still have my passport in my maiden name and gc on my married name and Ive been traveling and never encountered any problems or questioning whatsoever.Im not even planning to have it amended.Just have your marriage certificate handy. I even offered my mc on the immigration officer here coming back from a vacation but he refused it and told me that he can see all the details just by swiping my green card.

But its still a personal choice if you want to have it amended or not....

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

N400 Timeline:

4/14/12- 3rd yr as PR

1/17/12- mailed packet

Biometrics-- waived

4/25/12- interview- passed & took my oath the same day!!-- US Citizen!!!

My N400 Journey took 3months & 8days!:)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.