7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I would like some info about getting married in the Philippines. I know people have done it already so I was hoping to get some info from them. How would one go about doing this? Like, could the marriage be done within a week or would it take longer? And where would you go to get married there?

Make an appointment at the embassy to get an "Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". If you were married previously, you'll need to present evidence that the previous marriage(s) was/were dissolved (divorce decree, death cert., etc.). I made my appointment for the day after I arrived. You can make an appointment using the online appointment system at: http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html and clicking the link in step 2.

The same or next day you can apply for the license at the "civil registrars" office in the city where your fiance(e) lives. There is a ten day waiting period while the application is posted on a bulletin board in front of the office. This allows time for anyone with any grievances or reasons why the couple shouldn't get married, to make those reasons known. This is mostly just for show, but it is the law and must be complied with.

You should pre-arrange to have a local official perform the ceremony on the 11th day. I managed to get is done during a 14 day visit. The "Affidavit in Lieu of..." was done on the the Monday after my arrival and the ceremony took place on Friday of the following week.

This is of course assuming that all you want is a simple civil ceremony. A full-fledged wedding blessed by the Catholic Church is another matter entirely.

OK, enough of my ramblings...hope this helps.

George

11/15/10: I-130 package FEDEX'd to Chicago Lockbox

11/15/10: NSO Marriage and Birth Certificates available for pick-up at NSO

11/17/10: Receipt Date of I-130 petition at Chicago Lockbox

11/19/10: NSO Marriage Cert and Birth Cert (4x each) received by Gina in Philippines

11/19/10: CRBA package couriered to US Embassy in Manila

11/22/10: CRBA package/application including NSO BC & MC received by embassy

11/22/10: NOA1 Date

11/24/10: Electronic notification of receipt received from Chicago Lockbox

11/24/10: Embassy scheduled CRBA appointment for 12/21/2010

11/26/20: Check cashed

11/27/10: NOA1 Hardcopy received via USPS

12/21/10: Interview/Personal appearance at Manila Embassy for CRBA **approved**

01/03/11: CRBA and US Passport for daughter received by Gina via FEDEX

Make an appointment at the embassy to get an "Affidavit in Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage". If you were married previously, you'll need to present evidence that the previous marriage(s) was/were dissolved (divorce decree, death cert., etc.). I made my appointment for the day after I arrived. You can make an appointment using the online appointment system at: http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html and clicking the link in step 2.

The same or next day you can apply for the license at the "civil registrars" office in the city where your fiance(e) lives. There is a ten day waiting period while the application is posted on a bulletin board in front of the office. This allows time for anyone with any grievances or reasons why the couple shouldn't get married, to make those reasons known. This is mostly just for show, but it is the law and must be complied with.

You should pre-arrange to have a local official perform the ceremony on the 11th day. I managed to get is done during a 14 day visit. The "Affidavit in Lieu of..." was done on the the Monday after my arrival and the ceremony took place on Friday of the following week.

This is of course assuming that all you want is a simple civil ceremony. A full-fledged wedding blessed by the Catholic Church is another matter entirely.

OK, enough of my ramblings...hope this helps.

George

:thumbs:

Hafa adai, George!

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

This question is almost impossible to answer since the marriage process and documents required vary so much based on where you're getting married. It should be the same everywhere, but its not.

As the US citizen, the documents I needed to get married in Baguio were a certified copy of my birth certificate, affidavit of legal capacity to marry, and my passport. The best solution is to have your fiancée go down to her local city hall or talk to her captain about the requirements to marry a foreigner.

Church weddings are much more complex, especially if you're not Catholic or have been previously married. You'll have the same legal requirements, as well as any requirements the parish priest feels like adding on to the process.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage : 2008-10-09

I-130 Sent : 2009-03-21

I-130 NOA1 : 2009-03-31

I-130 Approved : 2009-07-30

NVC Received : 2009-08-17

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2009-08-22

Pay I-864 Bill 2009-09-02

Return Completed I-864 : 2009-09-08

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2009-09-02

Receive IV Bill : 2009-09-17

Pay IV Bill : 2009-09-22

Estimates/Stats : Your I-130 was approved in 121 days from your NOA1 date.

Timeline

Thanks that does help a lot. So on average it takes about 2 weeks to marry in a foreign country if both parties were not previously married? And to get the certificate to marry, is that only located in Cebu?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks that does help a lot. So on average it takes about 2 weeks to marry in a foreign country if both parties were not previously married? And to get the certificate to marry, is that only located in Cebu?

Not to marry "in a foreign country". This is for marriage in the Philippines. I married in China the day after I arrived.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Ok so only in the Philippines. To get the affidavit in lieu, is the only place to get that in Cebu or is there a another place closer to Manila?

Ok so only in the Philippines. To get the affidavit in lieu, is the only place to get that in Cebu or is there a another place closer to Manila?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.