aikorob

Problems understanding USCIS officer at interview

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OK--my wife has been reading the Russian language forums, and there is a big discussion going on over there.

People are asking "what is the best response when you don't understand the interviewer's question?"

we are not talking about understanding English; rather a problem of the interviewer having an accent, or talking really low, or mumbling.

I told my wife the best response would be "I'm sorry,could you please speak up and repeat the question"

Apparently people on her forums are worried that if they utter the phrase "I don't understand" that this will be seen as not understanding English; and will cause a strike against them.

Anybody had this experience in their interviews?

Indeed you have reason for concern. One of the BIG issues at the interview is that the couple have a common language. After all, if a couple can't fully understand each other thru a language, then how the hell will communication take place.

My friend's russian wife does not speak much englsh. But this was NOT an issue at the interview because the husband ALSO speaks russian.

I hope the man speaks her language. Otherwise, Yes, if the woman does not understand the CO's questions then the natural conclusion is that she doesn't understand english very well.

Aside from that, I will give a practical tip. The husband can rephrase a question in english, so the wife can understand better. Nothing wrong with a rephrase.

Good luck or should I say удача.

:star:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I don't understand the question would be self incriminating, I don't understand "you" would be rude. That person sitting on the opposite side of the desk has your fate in your hands.

One can only wonder how such a person with extremely limited command of the English language would even get such a job. Answer is simple, if you ever ran a company in this country, besides all of the other agencies to deal with, there is also the ERA that dictates to you, who and who not can you hire. Have to meet their balance in both racial and ethnicity even if it means getting rid of competent personal and hiring illiterates. If you think your the boss think again, one agency we are lacking is one that helps you make a profit so you can stay in business. USCIS is no exception but does have the advantage of being a monopoly so simply can increase the fees or request more money from congress.

Hopefully that interviewing office is cognizant of there shortcomings and does have a degree of conscientiousness. Wife had this problem with her IO, would you please repeat the question is all she said. Yet another key to success, is knowing the civics test extremely well, so you know what question is being asked, with perhaps some clarification of the words.

Feel bringing in the ability of a couple to communicate is off the key subject, ha, when I first called my wife, we were on the phone for 45 minutes and could barely understand each other, but I loved the sound of her voice as she did mine. And there was something magical about her. While she had a good command of the written English language, lacked the verbal skills, we worked on that. She still has the sweetest one of a kind accent, hope she never loses that, everyone so far, loves it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

OK--my wife has been reading the Russian language forums, and there is a big discussion going on over there.

People are asking "what is the best response when you don't understand the interviewer's question?"

we are not talking about understanding English; rather a problem of the interviewer having an accent, or talking really low, or mumbling.

I told my wife the best response would be "I'm sorry,could you please speak up and repeat the question"

Apparently people on her forums are worried that if they utter the phrase "I don't understand" that this will be seen as not understanding English; and will cause a strike against them.

Anybody had this experience in their interviews?

Alla works as an interpreter for USCIS for interviews such as this for people that CANNOT speak English (or very little) The St. Albans USCIS local office has THREE Russian language speaking interpreters available for such interviews and you could usually shoot skeet in the lobby and not endanger anyone. So not knowing the language is NOT an issue.

Your response is a good one ...stop worrying. Demonstrate that you are married and that you have not done so to avoid immigration laws, that is all.

Most misunderstanding between married couples is because she is a woman...NOT because she speaks Russian.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Indeed you have reason for concern. One of the BIG issues at the interview is that the couple have a common language. After all, if a couple can't fully understand each other thru a language, then how the hell will communication take place.

My friend's russian wife does not speak much englsh. But this was NOT an issue at the interview because the husband ALSO speaks russian.

I hope the man speaks her language. Otherwise, Yes, if the woman does not understand the CO's questions then the natural conclusion is that she doesn't understand english very well.

Aside from that, I will give a practical tip. The husband can rephrase a question in english, so the wife can understand better. Nothing wrong with a rephrase.

Good luck or should I say удача.

:star:

Hopp..it was not an issue because it IS NOT an issue. USCIS will provide an interpreter for the interview if you so ask or you can bring your own. It would take more than a language barrier to conclude that a marriage was fraudulent. The marriage needs to be determined to be fraudulent...not difficult, to be disqualified. What if she was unable to speak or hear? Are deaf and mute people disqualified? One VJ member in the RUB forum recently had an interview postponed BY USCIS because his wife needed an interpreter and one had not been arranged. They made the effort to do it without one and couldn't. They were TOLD to reschedule WITH an interpreter (they chose to get their own) and then had a new interview and were approved.

There is just way too much thought being put into this. Show that you are married, show that you are living as a husband and wife and show that you have a marital relationship.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.