psuchuck

Moving Truck?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance will be moving from Toronto to Pittsburgh after Christmas on a K-1 Visa. We are trying to figure out the best way to transport her belongings. I would like to rent a 14-17' truck and do all the packing and driving myself. Can anyone recommend a company or shed some light on what they did?

Thanks!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

U-haul is the only truck rental company that allows their trucks to cross the border. You can go onto the U-haul website and get a quote on how much it will be. I rented a u-haul from NS to DC back in 2004 and all went well! Some have complained that U-haul trucks were #######, so just ensure you have a look over before you "accept" it! I also heard the truck they allow to cross the border, are their "better" trucks. Like i said, all went well for me. The price I was quoted online, was the actual price! I had more than enough miles that were included to do the trip. I got around 10 mpg, lol But I was driving like 70 mph in a snow storm (not that wise) Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I went with Upack and though I couldn't drive it there myself, we did pack ourselves and just paid based on the amount of space we used in the truck. Their fee's included gas, and they were really prompt with their delivery, we got it the same day they promised we would. When I did the compairison of the space I needed and their fee's compaired to a uhaul truck + gas, it came out cheeper to do it this way.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Uhaul worked great for us - the move was from Kitchener (just outside Toronto)to Virginia . My then fiance flew up and we drove together over the border with my stuff to get back to Virginia. Easy peasey, no troubles at all with our Uhaul. I had a large 2 bedroom apartment to pack and we chose a 20' truck - mind you I had a kid and alot 'o' stuff :)

Price was good and along with gas it was certainly a lot cheaper then having a moving company or POD.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I enjoyed my U-haul experience, was enjoyable to drive down, felt like a trucker,lol!! My wife was suppose to fly up and join me, but the day before she went in for a root canal,lol Sure one can find better deals, but if you like to drive like I do, U-haul is a great option.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I would go UHaul. I looked into moving companies and they all told me I would need a minimum of 3000-4000lbs. Best part of using UHaul, is that you can do the trip on your time, and have a bit of an adventure on the road trip down.

Timeline

Others have had very good luck with U-pack-

we used upack and it was much cheaper than the uhaul option, depends on the amount of stuff shipped and distance. they got his stuff here in two business days and everything was in tact ; )

Timeline

I think the u-haul option is the best way to top off the immigration experience,lol pack up ur stuff, grab a few litres of tim hortons and hit the road!!

Timeline

I think the u-haul option is the best way to top off the immigration experience,lol pack up ur stuff, grab a few litres of tim hortons and hit the road!!

Mu hubby rented an SUV as I dont have aton of stuff but If I did we would have used uHAUL. Think it depends on how you feel about the long drive and how much you have. I poe'd today but am moving everything tomorrow.

Good luck. :)

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.