AMERICAN/CANADIAN

licenses in the US

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Each state is so different. There are a million variations of how to deal with a Canadian DL. Well, I guess in this case there is only 50 :lol:

Here in CO, you need an EAD or GC and SSN. No written or road tests. They also let me trade in my Ontario G2 for a full license.

When I got mine in the 90's I did it at a mall kiosk. I handed them my Ontario licence, they gave me the simple eye test and issued me my new Colorado one within 10 mins. It was so nice back then...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

In PA you need just your GC and SSN, and your "G" [not G1/G2] Canadian license, and they hand you the new license.

Correction: You just need your Visa/Passport and your SSN. No GC required!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

In Tennessee, I needed my passport and I-94, and a drivers abstract from my former province that was issued within the past 30 days and 2 proofs of residency (lease agreement, bills with current address, etc). I only had to do the vision test. The would only give me the licence for the duration for the I-94. Now that I have my EAD I have to go back and renew it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's how it goes in the State of WA:

How to get a Washington State driver license

If you have a valid driver license from another state

Visit a driver licensing office.

Bring with you:

Proof of identity, including your out-of-state license.

Cash or check to pay the $45 fee for your first Washington driver license ($20 for your application and $25 for your license).

Your Social Security number, which is mandatory to help enforce child support laws. You don't need to show us your Social Security card. We’ll verify your Social Security number, but it won’t appear on your license.

Complete a driver license application.

Pass a vision screening and demonstration of color recognition.

After completing the steps above, you won’t need to take a knowledge test or a driving test unless you have a medical or physical condition that indicates testing is required.

Turn in your out-of-state driver license or ID card so we can invalidate it.

If you have an expired driver license from another state

You must pass the knowledge test and driving test in addition to completing all the steps above.

If you have valid license from another country

Germany and British Columbia are the only locations that have reciprocity agreements with Washington State.

If you have a valid German or British Columbia driver license, you may get a Washington State driver license by following the steps above for new residents with a valid license from another state.

If you have moved to Washington State from a country other than Germany or a Canadian province other than British Columbia, you must complete all the steps to getting your first license.

If you are visiting Washington State from another country, you may use your out-of-country driver license for up to 1 year

I had to do the complete routine written, visual, and driving to get my DL

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Seriously? Ewww....

I was hoping for a smooth ride on this one. :/

On the plus side the test you do is like 32 questions and you are allowed to get up to 6 wrong as a new CA licensee. The drivers test was just very basic, no parallel parking, no highway driving, just some minor stuff like pulling over to the side of the road, backing up in a straight line, and other than that it was just driving. Took maybe 10 min with the traffic lights. Very simple compaired to the Ontario DL tests I had to take :lol:

Edit - thought I should thrown in here as well, incase anyone is moving to the Orange County area. The Santa Ana DMV is one of the fastest ones. Even when the line snakes around the building you are usually inside within 15 min. They have like 36 counters so they tend to go super quick.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

On the plus side the test you do is like 32 questions and you are allowed to get up to 6 wrong as a new CA licensee. The drivers test was just very basic, no parallel parking, no highway driving, just some minor stuff like pulling over to the side of the road, backing up in a straight line, and other than that it was just driving. Took maybe 10 min with the traffic lights. Very simple compaired to the Ontario DL tests I had to take :lol:

Edit - thought I should thrown in here as well, incase anyone is moving to the Orange County area. The Santa Ana DMV is one of the fastest ones. Even when the line snakes around the building you are usually inside within 15 min. They have like 36 counters so they tend to go super quick.

What sort of documentation did CA require for you to obtain your DL? Anything I can get underway now so I don't need to do everything last minute?

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Timeline

They needed my Passport with my info in it, my marriage cert to show the name change, my EAD. I also had to go back in becuase though I passed and got everything done and my license was approved and such it got stuck in legal presence checks, so I had to take my greencard back to the DMV to show that yes, I was legally present.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

They needed my Passport with my info in it, my marriage cert to show the name change, my EAD. I also had to go back in becuase though I passed and got everything done and my license was approved and such it got stuck in legal presence checks, so I had to take my greencard back to the DMV to show that yes, I was legally present.

Do you know if it is possible to get the DL prior to getting your green card and EAD? My fiance has been put in charge of getting the information from the DMV about how long my insurance is valid for, when I have to register my vehicle, and of course, how soon I can get my DL. He hasn't gotten to doing it yet.

Timeline

lol--just like the other pinned topics that people don't read,lol or the comment--I dont have the time to rad over the 5 pages, so can you just tel me" lol

:lol: Yeah that's a good point. It was a noble thought, but quite honestly I don't want to put the time and energy into something that will likely go nowhere.

When I got mine in the 90's I did it at a mall kiosk. I handed them my Ontario licence, they gave me the simple eye test and issued me my new Colorado one within 10 mins. It was so nice back then...

No kidding! Things have definitely changed...

Timeline

Do you know if it is possible to get the DL prior to getting your green card and EAD? My fiance has been put in charge of getting the information from the DMV about how long my insurance is valid for, when I have to register my vehicle, and of course, how soon I can get my DL. He hasn't gotten to doing it yet.

It is not possible. In CA they require your EAD. Most states where they do allow it before hand only issue it for as long as your I-94 is valid, which makes it pretty much not worth it. I was able to get the insurance here to cover me while I was waiting to get my EAD on the promise that as SOON as I got my EAD I would go get my temp license, and upon providing them with my drivers abstract from ontario (you can get it at the MTO, $12 bucks and you can get it the same day at actual offices, or order online) and a letter from my insurance saying I have been covered since XXXX and my history of claims. If your insurance in Canada is anything like mine they might cover you for about 2 weeks to a month before you need to get insurance down here. You can register your car without your DL (which I learned when I registered mine...same date I did my temp permit). HOWEVER - the CA rules for registering your car are based on having documentation showing your arrival date..so you won't pay any late fee's if you show them your EAD starting on X date (you need to get it registered within 10 days of getting your EAD though or you will get hit with late registration charges). Hope that helps you!

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

It is not possible. In CA they require your EAD. Most states where they do allow it before hand only issue it for as long as your I-94 is valid, which makes it pretty much not worth it. I was able to get the insurance here to cover me while I was waiting to get my EAD on the promise that as SOON as I got my EAD I would go get my temp license, and upon providing them with my drivers abstract from ontario (you can get it at the MTO, $12 bucks and you can get it the same day at actual offices, or order online) and a letter from my insurance saying I have been covered since XXXX and my history of claims. If your insurance in Canada is anything like mine they might cover you for about 2 weeks to a month before you need to get insurance down here. You can register your car without your DL (which I learned when I registered mine...same date I did my temp permit). HOWEVER - the CA rules for registering your car are based on having documentation showing your arrival date..so you won't pay any late fee's if you show them your EAD starting on X date (you need to get it registered within 10 days of getting your EAD though or you will get hit with late registration charges). Hope that helps you!

Wow, they really force immigrants to be completely useless upon arrival, don't they! No work, no car, no license... ugh.

I have insurance with ICBC and they sent me the following information regarding maintaining my registration and license after moving to the USA:

"It will be up to the driver licensing authorities in the state to which you are moving to say when you will be required to get a driver’s licence there.

If you move outside of BC during the term of your Autoplan policy, the coverage will be in effect until the expiry date of the policy, provided that you change the rating territory to Territory Z before your vehicle leaves BC. This is our territory for vehicles operated outside of the province and an Autoplan broker can make this change for you.

While coverage will continue to be in force, you will still be subject to the registration and licensing requirements of the state to which you have moved and may be subject to fines and/or penalties for not following those requirements. Therefore, it is important that you follow the laws of that state.

Once you register your vehicle outside of BC, Autoplan coverage will no longer be valid. If your coverage is still current at that time, you should cancel it and apply for a refund."

With this information, is it technically possible for me to keep my license and BC insurance and registration until I am able to register my vehicle in the USA? That is what it seems like anyway. At least for the registration and insurance portion of things. Does anyone know how soon California expects you to stop driving under your Canadian license? BC doesn't seem to care either way...

Do they really have a way of knowing that you are in the USA on a Visa if you simply provide you Canadian DL and Passport, with Canadian registration? Technically this would not be a lie...because I would still be registered and licensed according to Canada...

Edited by hithalynn

Timeline

Wow, they really force immigrants to be completely useless upon arrival, don't they! No work, no car, no license... ugh.

I have insurance with ICBC and they sent me the following information regarding maintaining my registration and license after moving to the USA:

"It will be up to the driver licensing authorities in the state to which you are moving to say when you will be required to get a drivers licence there.

If you move outside of BC during the term of your Autoplan policy, the coverage will be in effect until the expiry date of the policy, provided that you change the rating territory to Territory Z before your vehicle leaves BC. This is our territory for vehicles operated outside of the province and an Autoplan broker can make this change for you.

While coverage will continue to be in force, you will still be subject to the registration and licensing requirements of the state to which you have moved and may be subject to fines and/or penalties for not following those requirements. Therefore, it is important that you follow the laws of that state.

Once you register your vehicle outside of BC, Autoplan coverage will no longer be valid. If your coverage is still current at that time, you should cancel it and apply for a refund."

With this information, is it technically possible for me to keep my license and BC insurance and registration until I am able to register my vehicle in the USA? That is what it seems like anyway. At least for the registration and insurance portion of things. Does anyone know how soon California expects you to stop driving under your Canadian license? BC doesn't seem to care either way...

Do they really have a way of knowing that you are in the USA on a Visa if you simply provide you Canadian DL and Passport, with Canadian registration? Technically this would not be a lie...because I would still be registered and licensed according to Canada...

Yup yup :D Technically we have 10 days from becoming residents, which is 20 days after getting your EAD to get your temp license. That said, I would make sure you drive carefully, I've seen a few cases where people got stopped for something and the police took them as already residents because their address/whatever on the insurance was from the states. With yours from BC you should be fine, I never had an issue while I was driving around before I got my temp stuff done. If you have all the stuff for your DL, Passport and insurance with a canadian address on it there shouldn't be an issue at all :D If there is you can always tell them you are waiting on residency documentation.

Edited by Danu

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Yup yup :D Technically we have 10 days from becoming residents, which is 20 days after getting your EAD to get your temp license. That said, I would make sure you drive carefully, I've seen a few cases where people got stopped for something and the police took them as already residents because their address/whatever on the insurance was from the states. With yours from BC you should be fine, I never had an issue while I was driving around before I got my temp stuff done. If you have all the stuff for your DL, Passport and insurance with a canadian address on it there shouldn't be an issue at all :D If there is you can always tell them you are waiting on residency documentation.

Yay!!!!! Thanks so much haha

BC is pretty good with stuff like that. I think I will paying a whole lot more for insurance when I move, but it will be worth it. Especially if only for so many months. I will make sure we take my fiance's vehicle for any longer trips, and have him drive just in case.

Timeline

Yay!!!!! Thanks so much haha

BC is pretty good with stuff like that. I think I will paying a whole lot more for insurance when I move, but it will be worth it. Especially if only for so many months. I will make sure we take my fiance's vehicle for any longer trips, and have him drive just in case.

Thats what I did too. Shouldn't take you too long though with how fast the EAD's come, and then you can go get your temp and there will be no more worries.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~

Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.