thongd4me

Thailand Hotel Policy - is it racist?

Is the hotel policy racist?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think? (choose more than one; undecided leave both blank)

• The policy is not racist by world standards
    • The policy is racist by world standards
    • The policy is not racist by Thailand standards
    • The policy is racist by Thailand standards
    • They shouldn't get a refund
    • They should get a refund
    • No apology necessary
    • They should get an apology
    • Hotel should not be boycotted
    • Hotel should be boycotted
    • I would stay there
    • I would never stay there

5 posts in this topic

Thailand Hotel Policy - is it racist?

The poll is designed in pairs of opposing questions.

The poll is set up to allow multiple answers.

Therefore, if you're not sure between the two or have no opinion, don't choose either.

Edited by thongd4me

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Text of article (from link)

Hotels in Bangkok refuse Blacks and Indians

BANGKOK THAILAND: -- The Rapper/ artist "Ribkat" and band members are asked to leave their Hotel "Nasa Vegas Complex Luxury Hotel" in Bangkok because as they were told by the hotel manager "they had to respect the Hotel policy" which is to discriminate against blacks and Indians". The hotel staff and manager also refused to refund the amount they paid up front for their hotel rooms.

"Ribkat", a well known member of the multi-platinum selling group "Fort Minor" with Mike Shinoda from Linkin Park was told by the Hotel Manager that they did not allow blacks or Indians at their Hotel.

"Ribkat" asked them why they accepted his payment in the first place if this was part of their racist policy. Nasa Vegas advertises long term stay deals which is exactly what Ribkat was inquiring about to begin with due to several business engagements in Thailand only to be lied to by the Nasa Vegas staff stating that there were no rooms available for long term rent which in the end turned out to be a big fat lie all because Ribkat is an African American.

"Ribkat" a hip hop artist preparing for several performances in Thailand and a deal for his soon to be released album "Theory of Addicts" with Josy B. has now been publicly humiliated with the most outrageous blatant form of racism that he will now have to postpone all of his public appearances and performances to resolve this unfortunate ignorant issue.

His friends and Thailand hosts were in complete shock, one of his hosts called the hotel and asked if the hotel room was available and they confirmed with her that it was, but only to her because she was not black. Ribkats drummer who is white and his female friend who is Thai, couldn't help but notice how Ribkat was constantly singled out and always had the fingers pointing at him with the entire hotel staff uttering comments such as "The Black People are bad and Always Cause Trouble" and "The Black People Never Pay or check out of the Hotel and they're too loud and Dangerous and they sell drugs"

His Drummer and Friend were immediately shocked by such blunt stereotypical racism and felt equally offended. The entire Hotel Staff showed no respect or courtesy to the star and insisted on telling him to respect they're racist policy because its in their "Law Books to discriminate". As a result of this, the U.S embassy and police were immediately notified of the discriminating acts that were cast upon the International star and have now addressed the Thai media in efforts to resolve this incident along with compensation and a public apology. The Thailand Police department and associates expressed their sympathy and sorrow and were completely ashamed by what has just taken place.

"Ribkat" who has been received greatly and greeted by fans in the streets of Bangkok was completely surprised by all of this and does not feel that the rest of the people in Thailand hold these type of sentiments towards African Americans or any other foreigners visiting their country and extends an Olive Branch in the hopes that this was only an isolated incident from misguided individuals working in this Hotel and looks forward to completing his scheduled performances and enjoying his extended stay in Thailand in good faith simply hoping that this will be a wake up call to the entire world. "Although many of us are misguided and blinded by the plague of racism, we are all "One" and the beauty of being "One" which to many appears to be a small number, is the amazing magical variety of a beautiful color spectrum that exists amongst us all by nature, so in actuality, that "small" number of "one" contains a lot more than we all think. Colors are not only seen but they are also heard. If music was monotone or only "one color", then we would not be able to appreciate the beauty of "All" different genres of music created by Multi Cultural races of color around the world. With that being said, why don't we as "One" try "Listening" to color and feeling with our hearts for a change rather than judging a color simply by sight missing the message of beauty and all it truly contains within". "Ribkat" quotes....

Article by WN Guest Writer Tom Kidd

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

• 1 month later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

As misguided as this policy may seem there are mitigating circumstances that were omitted from the article. Most blacks in Thailand come straight from Africa and are not European or American. A black American friend quickly discovered this when every black man he met n Bangkok, which weren't too many, didn't speak English. Of those Africans that visit, a sizable number of them are involved in illicit activities, such as drug trafficking, counterfeiting, and prostitution. Race aside, if a sizable portion of any group engages in an activity, one would be wise to protect against it. I don't recall gypsies getting worked up over people's caution around. Can't imagine a middle eastern terrorist calling race card if he were profiled.

Of course barring someone solely based on gender, race, age, height, etc. is discriminatory and damaging, but is it ok to be politically incorrect and say, "I don't want terrorists, drug dealers, pedophiles in my establishment" or should the proprietor be more tolerant of such folks? I do not personally know this Ribkat and will not presume to know his character. However, there could be more to this story than simply racist Thais.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

As misguided as this policy may seem there are mitigating circumstances that were omitted from the article. Most blacks in Thailand come straight from Africa and are not European or American. A black American friend quickly discovered this when every black man he met n Bangkok, which weren't too many, didn't speak English. Of those Africans that visit, a sizable number of them are involved in illicit activities, such as drug trafficking, counterfeiting, and prostitution. Race aside, if a sizable portion of any group engages in an activity, one would be wise to protect against it. I don't recall gypsies getting worked up over people's caution around. Can't imagine a middle eastern terrorist calling race card if he were profiled.

Of course barring someone solely based on gender, race, age, height, etc. is discriminatory and damaging, but is it ok to be politically incorrect and say, "I don't want terrorists, drug dealers, pedophiles in my establishment" or should the proprietor be more tolerant of such folks? I do not personally know this Ribkat and will not presume to know his character. However, there could be more to this story than simply racist Thais.

I'd have to agree that there's more to this than meets the eye but on the surface I find it disturbing. Living in SE Queensland in Australia I see a lot of North African refugees, both black and Arab, immigrating to Australia. The vast majority of these minorities are making meaningful contributions to their own, and the community at large. Yes there is an element of unsavoury; but doesn't that exist in any cross-section of any society? Painting anyone with the same brush due to any perceived difference from the norm in any locale in the world is inexcusable and goes against the UN Charter for Human Rights in addition to many constitutions and laws in most countries. You have to ask if during any of the many US Navy visits to Thailand if the African American sailors were treated this way what would the US Government reaction be?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Most of our African American soldiers find their way to the beach town of Pattaya, where they're treat extra special!

I worked with a black teacher who had been stationed in Thailand while in the Army and he said that most Thai were curious to see him, but that he had gotten along just fine with them. He was out in the sticks most of the time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.