canuckmoran

After K1 and Wedding

2 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good morning everyone,

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. My Fiancee and I have applied for our K1 back in July of 2010 and will be getting married in May 2011. I am fully aware of what the K1 offers and how the AOS works but I have a couple of questions.

1) As I am looking to go to law school in the states starting in Fall 2011 does anyone know I address this in my application (i.e. what is my immigration status)?

2) Are those in K1 status and AOS attend P/T schooling while waiting for their papers?

3) If I go back after my wedding what is the process then and how long would it take?

The reason why I am asking is because I am thinking about trying to get a job when my EAD comes through and going to night school so the financial stress is not all on my soon to be wife. Which why I am also looking at the options of coming back to Canada to continue to work and assist with transferring money down to the USA.

Thanks everyone.

Richard

USCIS
July 15/2014 - I-130 Fedex to Chicago Lockbox
July 20/2014 - Received email confirming docs sent to CSC
July 23/2014 - Received NOA1 via snail mail
Aug 25/2014 - USCIS approved Petition
Sept 2/2014 - Rec'vd copy of NOA2 - file sent to NVC
NVC
Oct 09/2014 - Rec'vd welcome letter from NVC with Case number.
Oct 10/2014 - Filled in DS-261 form
Oct 18/2014 - Paid AOS fees
Dec 24/2014 - Paid IV Fee
Dec 31/2014 - Competed and scanned DS-260 form (not sent).
Feb 4/2015 - Emailed AOS and IV packages and now the waiting begins. (Scan Date)
Mar 4/2015 - Rec'vd 60 Day Letter
Apr 1/2015 - Rec'vd Checklist (did not include preparers page) Waiting for updated I-864 papers.
Apr 6/2015 - Resent I864 (AOS) Checklist via EP. Now waiting again!!!!
Apr 16/2015 - Rec'vd 60-day notice email - alot quicker than last time.
Apr 27/2015 - Rec'vd confirmation from NVC we have a CC.
Montreal
May 07/2015 - Rec'vd P4 email providing interview date and requirements
May 21st/2015 - Medicals w/ Dr. Lyndon
June 30/2015 - Interview Date
June 30/2015 - Approved
July 7th/2015 - Received Passport and Documents
July 17th/2015 - Cross POE
July 28th/2015 - Receive SSN
xxxxx/2015 - Receive GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. Your immigration status is pending K-1. You can mention that you'll apply for permenant resident status shortly after entrance on your K-1 per the terms of the visa (just in case the application judges don't know what a K1 is)

2. Yes, people on K-1 have attended school. How and the costs are up to the school you apply for. Some will consider you a non-resident, some as pending resident

have you thought of asking these questions to the school you're appling to?

3. you can leave the US anytime after you enter. However, if you'd like to re-enter the US after your wedding, you'll need your advanced parole document which can take up to 90 days to arrive. If you leave before you have your AP document or your green card, you cannot enter back on the K-1 and your AOS will be considered abandoned

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.