roadtosuccess

Physical Exam at SITHC in Shanghai

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I am an American petitioning my German spouse for a US CR-1 visa. We are temporarily residing in China and have been assigned an interview in Guangzhou. We completed my husband's physical exam at the Shanghai International Healthcare Center. The medical exam instructions on the Guangzhou Consulate website state four pictures and 1100 RMB. The person at SITHC scheduling the appointment verbally stated four pictures and 2000 RMB. Upon our arrival, we were informed that six pictures were required, and the fee was only 1529 RMB. (The vaccines are an additional fee to the 1100 RMB). The receptionist at SITHC gave us a health assessment form to complete which was only in Chinese and no English. My husband is immigrating to America, he speaks German and English. The Chinese language is not a requirement to immigrate to the USA. Therefore, the forms should be provided in English or the native language of the immigrant. The Chinese receptionist at SITHC did not know how to translate a Chinese pinyin address into Chinese characters! Fortunately, we had our Chinese driver’s license with our address in Chinese characters. We presented my husband’s German passport, we do not look Chinese, and she still typed his nationality into the computer as Chinese. There were masses of people herded through the process which provided no patient privacy or confidentiality, something which I am privileged to have in the USA. The employees could speak only a few words of English. The doctor performing the health assessment screening could not speak any English. I do not understand how a physical exam can be complete and valid if the physician is unable to communicate with the patient, other than hand gestures. The physical exam should be completed by the USA standard of care rather than the Chinese standard of care if it is required by the US government. The cleanliness of the facility was below standard, there was food consumption in the patient care areas, and there was no hand washing observed. There were no processes in place to prevent the contamination from patient to patient. The post vaccine instructions were also provided in Chinese. Last, the follow up instructions were not provided. We inquired and were told to return to Shanghai on the day of the interview, which is not possible because the interview is in Guangzhou. We said this cannot be, and they answered, “Yes, we know”. We were able to change the date to pick up the exam results two days before the interview, after much debate. My husband was required to sign his name many times on information that was in Chinese and will be required again to sign his name confirming the accuracy of the assessment. How can the American government recognize a facility that provides incompetent below standard level of care? I would like to add that this is not the same situation with all medical facilities in the Shanghai area. I have received quality medical care at Kowloon Hospital in Suzhou, China. The recommended care plan is exactly the same as the current recommendations in the USA, and the quality of care is similar to US standards. The Shanghai International Healthcare Clinic should not be endorsed by the Guangzhou Consulate or by the U. S. Department of State as a recognized facility to complete physical exams for visa applicants.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/IV%20p4/Medical%20instruction%20_GIV-8_%20-%20Dec%2009.pdf

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/guangzhou/47024/IV%20p4/IV%20Appointment-%20Aug_10.pdf

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

FWIW, you should be able to go back , about a week after the medical exam,

and get the medical results. Usually it's ready within 2 to 3 days, on 'normal service', but I'm suggesting a week.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Medically speaking you are absolutely correct....but you forgot "This is China" and it is also the "Chinese National Holiday" here. SITHC originally told us to come back in 13 days! We debated back and forth with them and they finally agreed to 11 days...October 9. That is a Saturday and the flight to Guangzhou is on Monday....

Edited by roadtosuccess

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

American Citizen Services, American Citizen Hour -

these are 'pre-interview' times - and all of the conversations there

are in English, with a Consular Official, a USCitizen Worker.

On Interview Day -

--the guards outside that are lining ppl up, are PRC ppl, guessing NO bilingual stuff at all

yer herded up to the 5th floor, there's another security checkpoint - then

--the document pre-screeners are PRC ppl, again guessing NO Bilingual stuff at all

--The Visa Officers Speak English

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Wow that is a big difference from what we experienced with my wife's medical exam. We used the Guangzhou United Family Clinic and I was very impressed with their service. It was a new, modern and very clean facility that offered very efficient service. The really good thing about this clinic is that it offers same day results as part of its regular service (no extra charge) - my wife's appointment was at 9:30am and we were out the door with results in hand by 1:00pm the same day. The clinic had a desk/table which is used by the patients to fill out the medical paperwork and on the table were binders full of example forms in both Chinese & English - so there was no guess work as to how the forms should be filled out.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.