jrmejia

Learning my fiancee 's culture

153 posts in this topic

I broke my leg in 3 places and my arm at the same time. I have screws in my leg and arm and a metal rod in the bone in leg. This has been many years ago, most of the time I forget that even happened. It hasn't affected my life in a negatitive way. I put my faith in God a lot during the tough times. Like the other posters said it will get better. I'm sure everyone at VJ wishes you the best.

K1 timeline :

1/11/10 - I-129F sent to California Service Center

1/19/10 - NOA1

2/18/10 - moved and changed address on USCIS site

2/19/10 - touched

3/10/10 - touched

3/10/10 - NOA2, hardcopy recieved 3/12

3/16/10 - Left NVC, recieved MNL case #

3/22/10 - USEM recieved

4/19/10 - Passed Medical

4/28/10 - Interview - Approved

4/30/10 - Picked up Visa and completed CFO

5/5/10 - POE - Honolulu, Hawaii

5/6/10 - married in Hawaii

AOS timeline:

7/8/10 - received SSN Card

7/16/10 - reported US marriage for RP records

10/18/10 - AOS delivered in Chicago

10/25/10 - NOA1

11/04/10 - Biometrics Letter Received

11/23/10 - Biometrics Completed

11/24/10 - touched

11/26/10 - touched

02/14/11 - AOS approved at Interview, GC ordered

02/22/11 - GC arrives in mail

ROC Timeline:

12/17/12 - I-751 sent to California Service Center

12/20/12 - NOA1 arrives in mail

1/14/13 - Biometrics appointment

4/11/13 - RC Approved at Interview

4/22/13 - 10 Year Green Card arrived in mail

event.png

Always Thankful for God's blessings on our lives..

I broke my leg in 3 places and my arm at the same time. I have screws in my leg and arm and a metal rod in the bone in leg. This has been many years ago, most of the time I forget that even happened. It hasn't affected my life in a negatitive way. I put my faith in God a lot during the tough times. Like the other posters said it will get better. I'm sure everyone at VJ wishes you the best.

^^^Hey...thanks Leo. :D:whistle:

@Robert...get well soon. :thumbs:

@krikit...chill...I'm enjoying this thread.

man this is so funny! i actually had cramps,

question: you don't have money for a movie?

answer: yes

nyahahahhahaah

what's worse is this:

question: you don't have money for a movie?

answer: yes?

Why Do I Love To Cook?

I love to make people happy and amazingly enough nothing can put a big satisfied smile on someones face after a good hearty meal. That's why I love to cook.

Pinoy Recipe

K-1 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 06/23/08

I-129F NOA1 : 07/03/08

Touched: 07/01/08

Touched: 07/11/08

Touched: 10/09/08 NOA2

NOA2 hard copy: 10/18/08

I-129F left NVC: 10/16/08

NVC letter: 10/21/08

USEM received the papers: 10/23/08

Physical exam at SLEC: 11/06-07/08 - Passed

Appointment letter received: 11/10/08

Interview schedule: 11/14/08 - Passed

Visa Received : 11/22/2008... thank God...

US Entry : 12/03/2008

Marriage : 02/14/2008

POE: Guam

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the well-wishes. It isn't my first broken bone. Over twenty years of combat sports has left me with a lot of them. This one is just a really bad set of commudal fractures on both tibia and fibia.

The thing that I miss is hiking in the forest and all the wildlife.

It is a little baffling finding the necessity to point out that the risks one assumes in Mindanao or anywhere for that matter vary considerably depending on which specific area one is talking about, how you conduct yourself, what events are transpiring at the time, etc. Even within a city there are vastly different micro-cultures, and again that would be true even within a U.S. City.

Regardless, doing research before you go is paramount not just to your safety but also to your enjoyment and to the understanding of the people you will meet.

There are a surprising variety of cultures, even on individual islands with different ethnic groups and languages. Sometimes the influence of the Spanish rule is dominant, and in some places like ARMM is is nonexistant. Some places view the U.S. as a dear friend, and others a mortal enemy - especially in areas of the heaviest fighting during the Phipippine-American War. The Moro people for centuries fought the spanish, the americans, the philippine government, and were never conquered by anyone. They have their own autonomous region on Mindano (the ARMM).

Someone may have brought up the "quack doctors" already. I did a lot of jungle expeditions in South America and Asia where historically the shamans actually did have substantive knowledge of the healing powers in various plants and herbs. They had some very interesting hallucinogenic potions as well. But I have not found that to be true of the "quack doctors" I have encountered on the philippines.

My wife's family has had them do some things I figure are harmless, and you need to choose your cultural battles wisely. So if they want to put a piece of lint on my son's forehead, well - so be it. I couldn't figure out where that was coming from at first. I removed it a couple of times before I saw my mother-in-law putting it back up there again.

They were actually right about the medical profession being incapable of diagnosing or treating my wife's migraines. But their belief in the quack doctors was equally in vain. Ultimately our own research led us to the right diagnosis and treatment.

Maybe there was a time when the quack doctors had substantive knowledge. My experience so far has been that it is the right name for them.

Filed: Timeline

Maybe there was a time when the quack doctors had substantive knowledge. My experience so far has been that it is the right name for them.

That may be quite true. So far, I have yet to me any Filipino doctor, nurse, dentist, therapist, or medical technician, that was as good as the opinion he/she holds of his/herself. Talk about arrogance! Make the slightest suggestion, or question the diagnosis, he, or especially she, goes all attitude! They never make mistakes.

Have you actually tried that? What's worse - putting up with someone yelling, "Hey Joe!" at you on the street, or spending a few years in a Filipino prison for assaulting a Filipino?

I doubt it. Filipinos, in general, are very sensitive...especially to foreigners trying to intimidate them. It is understandable due to the years of occupation and oppression from the Spanish, the Japanese and the Americans.

Punching someone, in the manner he described, would likely result in a stabbing or shooting. People can easily disappear in the smaller barangays.

My advice is definitely keep a low profile, especially in the provinces. An arrogant and cocky American doesn't impress the oldschool folk.

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

I doubt it. Filipinos, in general, are very sensitive...especially to foreigners trying to intimidate them. It is understandable due to the years of occupation and oppression from the Spanish, the Japanese and the Americans.

Punching someone, in the manner he described, would likely result in a stabbing or shooting. People can easily disappear in the smaller barangays. My advice is definitely keep a low profile, especially in the provinces. An arrogant and cocky American doesn't impress the oldschool folk.

Couldn't have said it any better. good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

That may be quite true. So far, I have yet to me any Filipino doctor, nurse, dentist, therapist, or medical technician, that was as good as the opinion he/she holds of his/herself.

I have had probably 50 Filipino and Filipina nurses work for me in the last 12 years and every one of them was an excellent nurse. They work hard with their patients, don't take shortcuts in their care, and rarely call in sick.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

That may be quite true. So far, I have yet to me any Filipino doctor, nurse, dentist, therapist, or medical technician, that was as good as the opinion he/she holds of his/herself. Talk about arrogance! Make the slightest suggestion, or question the diagnosis, he, or especially she, goes all attitude! They never make mistakes.

I have had probably 50 Filipino and Filipina nurses work for me in the last 12 years and every one of them was an excellent nurse. They work hard with their patients, don't take shortcuts in their care, and rarely call in sick.

Based on Chinook's experience as an RN in the Philippines as well as her experience as an RN here in the U.S., I completely agree with Atencio.

Chinook currently works with several Filipino RNs, LPNs, and NACs. They are hard-working and don't have attitudes.

I'm left wondering how many Filipino doctors, nurses, dentists, therapists, and medical technicians ########## knows. :huh:

Filed: Timeline

Based on Chinook's experience as an RN in the Philippines as well as her experience as an RN here in the U.S., I completely agree with Atencio.

Chinook currently works with several Filipino RNs, LPNs, and NACs. They are hard-working and don't have attitudes.

I'm left wondering how many Filipino doctors, nurses, dentists, therapists, and medical technicians ########## knows. :huh:

Not 50 for sure. But I am still waiting to meet the one the lives up to your expectations.

Not 50 for sure. But I am still waiting to meet the one the lives up to your expectations.

Where did I mention that I had any expectations?

We most often see what we expect to see.

Managed many people have you?

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.