Nina~

Arpaio Sued by Feds

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I don't even know how to respond to this. It's pure Talking Point. No, we don't need every sheriff to ignore his job requirements and cherry pick his causes unilaterally, to the detriment of his serving the rest of his duties. No, we don't want people in power who think they are above the law.

When we have that, we get a lot of abuse. Many of us are not fans of being abused by uniforms on a power trip. I suppose you think that only those on the fringes would ever be on the receiving end of mistreatment. That's not so.

Very humorous. The Sheriff is elected to represent the people of the county that put him into office. They have the power to remove him, if he is acting in a manner contrary to purposes of the county he serves. If the Feds have a beef with him, then that is a different matter.

Edited by ##########

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Very humorous. The Sheriff is elected to represent the people of the county that put him into office. They have the power to remove him, if he is acting in a manner contrary to purposes of the county he serves. If the Feds have a beef with him, then that is a different matter.

Indeed. His primary responsibility is to serve the people of his county, not the bureaucrats

in Washington who think they know better how to run it.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Just research a bit. The feds are suing him for obstructing their investigation. He's pretty much the only state guy in history to simply ignore the government's requests for info and cooperation. His m.o. is acting like he is accountable to nobody, and like Arizona is his own private wild west. All blindingly arrogant civil rights abusing maniac rampages must come to an end sometime. He's had his fun and people have died. Reality check time.

You have to admit, though, that it's hard to cooperate with the DoJ when they don't exactly tell you what they want you to provide. This, too, has been well documented.

As for Arpaio acting as if he's responsible to nobody, that couldn't be further from the truth. He is responsible to the electorate in Maricopa County and he has consistently represented the wishes of the majority of the voters there. This could explain why they keep voting for him by a wide margin. They elect him to enforce the law and, in their eyes, that's just what he does.

This lawsuit, in the end, has little to do with Sheriff Arpaio and much to do with the immigration policies of the current administration. Eric Holder has made a big play here, which, if the ICE investigation is believed, could well end up with the AG having serious egg on his face.

Abuse of power comes in both big and small packages.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nope! The people aren't responsible for policing. They may love his spirit, but they don't handle the lawfulness part. So that's being handled now. They can elect him til the cows come home, but he'll be held accountable for his actions anyway! You prob knew that, yeah?

owl.jpg

I-129F Sent : 2010-02-01

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-02-08

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-12

NVC Received : 2010-03-18

NVC Left : 2010-03-22

Consulate Received : 2010-04-12

Packet 3 Received : 2010-04-14

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-04-16 (logged 2010-04-27)

Packet 4 Received : 2010-04-29

Interview Date : 2010-06-02

Interview Result : APPROVED!!!!!!

Visa in hand: 2010-06-09

POE: 2010-06-11

We is married now!: 2010-06-24

Filed: Timeline

Nope! The people aren't responsible for policing. They may love his spirit, but they don't handle the lawfulness part. So that's being handled now. They can elect him til the cows come home, but he'll be held accountable for his actions anyway! You prob knew that, yeah?

Explain yourself.

Timeline

You have to admit, though, that it's hard to cooperate with the DoJ when they don't exactly tell you what they want you to provide. This, too, has been well documented.

As for Arpaio acting as if he's responsible to nobody, that couldn't be further from the truth. He is responsible to the electorate in Maricopa County and he has consistently represented the wishes of the majority of the voters there. This could explain why they keep voting for him by a wide margin. They elect him to enforce the law and, in their eyes, that's just what he does.

This lawsuit, in the end, has little to do with Sheriff Arpaio and much to do with the immigration policies of the current administration. Eric Holder has made a big play here, which, if the ICE investigation is believed, could well end up with the AG having serious egg on his face.

Abuse of power comes in both big and small packages.

I don't have to admit that at all. I'm hearing that every local dude from a county clerk on up has had no problem cooperating with a federal request. Only mister I Rule Thunderdome thinks differently.

And yeah, he's been voted in! Woo! You're right; in their eyes he's doing great. There's just a small matter of basic human rights. And if you don't handle it, you'll be handled. Not up for a vote. Sorry, Arizonans. It would be killer if if we could make our states look exactly like we wanted. I'd make Louisiana wear purple all day. I think I could get Tuesdays marked as a statewide holiday. I've got lots of good ideas. Except for, you know, the Constitution and certain checks and rules and sh*t. Alas.

owl.jpg

Timeline

And an ICE investigation gave him a fairly glowing testimonial. Do you think Eric "I'm against it but I haven't actually read it" Holder is going to find any different? This has nothing to do with how Arpaio enforces the law, and everything to do with the fact that he does enforce the law.

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

Explain yourself.

You didn't know that no matter how you get elected, you still have to abide by the law? Is that what you need to have explained?

owl.jpg

Timeline

And an ICE investigation gave him a fairly glowing testimonial. Do you think Eric "I'm against it but I haven't actually read it" Holder is going to find any different? This has nothing to do with how Arpaio enforces the law, and everything to do with the fact that he does enforce the law.

Fantastic about the ICE thing. But what's happening is both about how he enforces the law, AND the fact that he doesn't enforce the law. AZ's routine business--important, criminals running free business--is being ignored in favor of this crusade. Not okay.

owl.jpg

Timeline

PHOENIX – The U.S. Justice Department sued Sheriff Joe Arpaio on Thursday, saying the Arizona lawman refused for more than a year to turn over records in an investigation into allegations his department discriminates against Hispanics.

But the ICE investigation has everything to do with Eric Holder's investigation. The DoJ is investigating accusations of discrimination against Hispanics, in the actions against illegal immigrants. This makes the ICE report very relevant.

And then there's the spectre of AZ SB 1070 in the background. If Holder and the DoJ can't prove that the notorious Sheriff Joe Arpaio discriminates in his enforcement, then a central plank of their case against the Arizona law falls. This is a big play by Holder, with a very real chance of blowback on him and this administration.

Edited by Pooky

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Timeline

I guess so! :wacko:

K! star_smile.gif

owl.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It would be killer if if we could make our states look exactly like we wanted.

Well actually we can, thanks to the "Constitution and sh*t". The Federal government may

only intervene in very limited circumstances which the Constitution lays out very clearly.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg