Rye Rye

Getting ready to file i-130 (nervous)

2 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

So I married my Colombian wife 2 months ago today and we are finally working on these forms. We got a lot of her forms (birth cert, family marriage license, vaccination record). And we just had a couple of questions before we submit.

1) On question #15, should we admit that her Visa has expired?

2) We got our passport style photos today, but should we include wedding photos and such? Or is there anything to add that isn't included in the checklist that would help in the long run?

3) Does it matter, time response wise, if we only file i-130 now and then the i-485 once we get confirmation rather than submitting both at once. (dont think we are ready paperwork wise to compile the entire i-485 specifications) Basically would it be smarter to get the i-130 out now since we are ready and work on the i-485 and send out when ready, or should we wait until we are finished with both and send at same time?

4) If we file at the same time, can we file the travel request and work request with it too?

:time:

What visa are you adjusting from? This question might be better answered in another forum. Anyway...since I don't know what visa she entered on I will make some assumptions...

So I married my Colombian wife 2 months ago today and we are finally working on these forms. We got a lot of her forms (birth cert, family marriage license, vaccination record). And we just had a couple of questions before we submit.

1) On question #15, should we admit that her Visa has expired?

I don't have the form in front of me, but I assume it asks for the expiration date of the visa? You should of course put the proper date. USCIS will know anyway.

2) We got our passport style photos today, but should we include wedding photos and such? Or is there anything to add that isn't included in the checklist that would help in the long run?

If you're adjusting from a student or tourist visa or the like, you should include evidence of bona fide marriage, according to the I130 instructions.

3) Does it matter, time response wise, if we only file i-130 now and then the i-485 once we get confirmation rather than submitting both at once. (dont think we are ready paperwork wise to compile the entire i-485 specifications) Basically would it be smarter to get the i-130 out now since we are ready and work on the i-485 and send out when ready, or should we wait until we are finished with both and send at same time?

If you're in a situation where you need to file both (tourist, student, etc. ) you should be filing ALL of the forms together. Do you have to? No, but it is highly advised.

4) If we file at the same time, can we file the travel request and work request with it too?

Yes. There will be no fees for these.

Please read here:

http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2

24q38dy.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.