BB & MJ

Possible K1 Visa Problem? Please help!

6 posts in this topic

Hello fellow VJers! I still patiently waiting for my NOA2 to be approved. According to this site, it should be adjudicated at the end of the month to September. I'm nervous and exciting at the same time. Anyways, I have a question and some clarification. A friend of mine recently went to the Philippines to visit his longtime girlfriend. A week before his trip back to U.S they decided to get married. They went to USEM to apply for a license for him to marry her in the Philippines (I don't know the exact name of the form). Anyways, he was approved but he could not stay longer because he had to wait more than 10 days for some sort of law in their town for them to marry in court (Civil Wedding). Well, my friend is back now and recently filed a K1 petition (fiance) for her to come here and get married instead. My friend did not follow up with USEM or do anything about not following through getting married in the Philippines. Will this cause a problem with his petition? Was he supposed to notify the Embassy? Thanks for the help.....

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

There should be no problem whatsoever. The Embassy doesn't track foreign marriages. What he went to get was his legal capacity to marry, which basically affirms he is not already married. As long as they didn't marry, the worst case would be he wasted the 30 dollars for the affidavit. No problem! Since there is no marriage on file with the NSO all is good. :thumbs:

Edited by Filipinawife0210

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

Marriage (if applicable): 2010-02-28

I-130 Sent : 2010-06-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2010-06-19

I-130 RFE :

I-130 RFE Sent :

I-130 Approved : 2010-08-03

NVC Received : 2010-08-10

Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2010-08-17

Pay I-864 Bill 2010-09-01

Receive I-864 Package : 2010-09-18

Return Completed I-864 : 2010-09-21

Return Completed DS-3032 : 2010-09-25

Receive IV Bill : 2010-10-05

Pay IV Bill : 2010-10-06

There should be no problem whatsoever. The Embassy doesn't track foreign marriages. What he went to get was his legal capacity to marry, which basically affirms he is not already married. As long as they didn't marry, the worst case would be he wasted the 30 dollars for the affidavit. No problem! Since there is no marriage on file with the NSO all is good. :thumbs:

Hey, thanks for the reply my friend. I will be sure to let him know. I believe you are correct about the Legal Capacity to Marry document. According to him, they did not follow through getting married because of the conflict with his flight back (he could not stay longer). I'll be sure to mention that the fiance visa route is WAY faster if they want to be together ASAP.

“We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.”

Did he get married in PI? Or did he just get the paperwork to get married?

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Did he get married in PI? Or did he just get the paperwork to get married?

They NEVER married in the Philippines. He just filed the paperwork to get married (got approved), found out that he couldn't stay past the 10 day period at their local city hall (for Civil Wedding) and just flew back to the United States to file the I-129F. Just wanted to know if he needed to inform the Embassy or something (worried it might cause a problem with his I-129F petition).

They NEVER married in the Philippines. He just filed the paperwork to get married (got approved), found out that he couldn't stay past the 10 day period at their local city hall (for Civil Wedding) and just flew back to the United States to file the I-129F. Just wanted to know if he needed to inform the Embassy or something (worried it might cause a problem with his I-129F petition).

As stated earlier by another poster, He's good to go......

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.