mandyu1

Adjusting to America

70 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

there are so many websites so you can watch so many channels for free .

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Timeline

You have the option of watching only online which requires nothing but the subscription. You also have the TV option. They will mail you a box and remote. You plug your modem into a router, the router into the box and then there is a red and yellow audio/video cable that goes into your TV (or cable box, dvd player, etc however you have it set up) it took me about 2 minutes to set it all up and get it working and most of that was moving around TV and cable boxes and trying to get behind the stupid entertainment stand to plug it in.

There is also the option to have both (which we have ) watch online and on TV. Hubby can watch the TV at home and when I'm at work I can watch online.

The channel line up can be found at : http://www.talfazat.com/en/live-tv/

They have a few sport channels : Abu Dhabi Sport, Bahrain Sport and there are games on other channels at times even though they aren't sport channels.

I really love the ' on demand ' feature which works on both the TV and online. You can watch Arabic movies and television series when ever you want. There is so much there that we haven't gotten through them all yet. My husband really enjoys some of the cooking series with the on Demand feature, especially during Ramadan because he can get an ingredients list, pause and play while he cooks things. Some of the popular series are featured there as well, with full seasons, etc.

We can't put a dish our our place because of the land lord's rules so this works for us.

But as hot guy said there are lots of online free options.

www.Justin.tv is a good site. If there is something particular you are looking for click the view all at the top and navigate to what you want (movies, series, sports) then I also suggest changing the language to Arabic for more programming options.

Also : http://webactu-webtv.com/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=1284

Is another really awesome page. Find your country and hit the drop down menu to see which channels are there. Most of them stream live 24/7 but at times when something popular is on it can get slow.

Filed: Timeline

I forgot to add that with Talfazat the prices aren't bad. I think the online option is $20 and the tv + online is $28/ month but they've had specials on both making them $14 and $19.99 for the first 6 months. You do have to give a one time $50 deposit for the box and remote that they mail to you, but when you return the equipment you will get it back. You can purchase the box outright for $150 I believe, but we just did the deposit incase we didn't like it. So far we're happy customers and haven't had any complaints.

Price Plans : http://www.talfazat.com/en/stbpackage/

How it works : http://www.talfazat.com/en/how-it-works/

I would honestly prefer the dish as well because talfazat only has one Tunisian channel right now, Hannibal and we'd like to get Tunis7 as well, but for now it's a good alternative if you're not looking to spend as much or are in a situation where a dish won't work for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I would say the Big 3 are;

1) a job

2) driver's license

3) friends outside of you and your family

Amen, sister. Your list is perfect! My husband had a rough few months but we are fine now. He became very depressed because he has to stay home all day while I'm at work. He feels bad that I am the bread winner right now but I assured him that everything will be fine until he gets his EAD. He has searched for volunteer opportunities but it seems nearly impossible to find something within a close range of our home. I feel really bad for him. I wish there was a significant Moroccan community in Los Angeles. If there was, at least he could meet some new friends and speak his native language. My advice is to be supportive, patient and try to find any activity for your new spouse use to kill time during the day.

Good luck!

Zaytoona

moroccantea.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I like the idea of no dish and the prices are really good. I'm going to run this by my husband tonight to see what he thinks of the channel lineup. My only concern is the lack of Egyptian channels (only one it seems). I do like the on demand feature. That's a great feature. Thanks for the info.

I forgot to add that with Talfazat the prices aren't bad. I think the online option is $20 and the tv + online is $28/ month but they've had specials on both making them $14 and $19.99 for the first 6 months. You do have to give a one time $50 deposit for the box and remote that they mail to you, but when you return the equipment you will get it back. You can purchase the box outright for $150 I believe, but we just did the deposit incase we didn't like it. So far we're happy customers and haven't had any complaints.

Price Plans : http://www.talfazat.com/en/stbpackage/

How it works : http://www.talfazat.com/en/how-it-works/

I would honestly prefer the dish as well because talfazat only has one Tunisian channel right now, Hannibal and we'd like to get Tunis7 as well, but for now it's a good alternative if you're not looking to spend as much or are in a situation where a dish won't work for you.

"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

I like the idea of no dish and the prices are really good. I'm going to run this by my husband tonight to see what he thinks of the channel lineup. My only concern is the lack of Egyptian channels (only one it seems). I do like the on demand feature. That's a great feature. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, unfortunately that's why my husband decided to nix this as an option.

Edited by LaL

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi all

We are in the final stretch of this visa process and my fiance will be having his interview soon. As time gets closer I feel him becoming more nervous, although he insists that nothing is wrong and he is ready for this. I'm just looking for some insight from others who have gone thru this process, and how their fiance/spouse felt prior to coming and their initial feelings after setting foot on U.S. soil. How well did they adjust, did they experience culture shock, and what things about America were the hardest to adjust to? Also, any suggestions on how I can help settle his nerves, make the adjustment a little easier, or interview tips would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone :)

My husband went and is going thru a HUGE adjustment. He's been here almost a year and a half. You will understand intellectually that he's having a hard time but it is so hard to live with at times. I found we were in sync so much better online and on the phone but real life is different and hard. Mine is almost a different man but all life experience changes people. So I would expect changes in his attitude and possibly his personality.

Best advice I can give you be VERY patient. and remember how much you love him. Be very good to him. Be loving and supportive but sometimes he may need his space to be alone or depressed let him and TRY hard not to think he doesn't love you. DO NOT TAKE it personally. Be strong. and remeber many, many little things we take for granted is very confusing and hard for him.

You may regret it at times but if someone asked you would you do it all over again. You will take a long deep breath and say, "Yes....?"

Be optimisic and happy too, many men don't go thru quite the hard time mine is going through. Don't get me wrong I love my man to pieces, and every 3 to 4 weeks I'm ready to tear him to pieces. LOL!

Timeline

My husband has nixed it as well. He didn't think any of the channels,including the Egyptian one, were any good. He likes the Dish Network channel line up because even though there are a few Lebanese channels, those channels are popular and they do show Egyptian series and movies on them. Plus Dish Network has ART and ART movies. My husband isn't interested in sports at all. He's interested in news and current events but one or two news channels is sufficient.

Yeah, unfortunately that's why my husband decided to nix this as an option.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Mine is having such a hard adjustment, he has left and come back 3 times :blink: in 2 years.

Jackie (F)

oh wow, how long does he stay gone for? Is he having a hard time find a job or is it the culture thats is hard for him to adjust to or a combination of things?

~ Our Journey ~

10/27/09 - Met online

04/21/10 - Travel to Egypt to meet in person

05/08/10 - Sent I-129F

05/10/10 - VSC receives I-129F

05/11/10 - NOA1

05/13/10 - Touched

05/14/10 - Touched

05/17/10 - Received NOA1 in the mail

07/06/10 - NOA2 - Approved!!!! :)

07/12/10 - Received NOA2 in the mail

07/13/10 - Received at NVC

07/16/10 - NVC changes embassy per our request

07/19/10 - Told we are in AP @ NVC

07/30/10 - Case sent to Cairo embassy

08/05/10 - Case received at embassy

09/07/10 - Received packet 3 - FINALLY!!!

09/15-10 - 2nd trip to Egypt, returned home on 10/5/10

12/14/10 - Received interview date

01/09/11 - 3rd trip to Egypt

01/12/11 - Interview - APPROVED!!!...but AP

01/24/11 - Returned to the states without my habibi :(

04/06/11 - AP was completed!! :)

05/10/11 - Visa has been issued!!!

My husband has nixed it as well. He didn't think any of the channels,including the Egyptian one, were any good. He likes the Dish Network channel line up because even though there are a few Lebanese channels, those channels are popular and they do show Egyptian series and movies on them. Plus Dish Network has ART and ART movies. My husband isn't interested in sports at all. He's interested in news and current events but one or two news channels is sufficient.

We had ART for awhile through our cable, but it was an extra $24 a month! It wasn't really worth it in the end, he didn't care for it enough to keep it at that ridiculous cost. In general we stopped looking since he rarely watches TV.

Timeline

$24 a month for just ART?? Yikes! One channel would not be worth it. Our cable offers 4 channels for $15 which isn't worth it either because there aren't any Egyptian channels. Dish Network has ESC, Dream 2 and Nile Drama as the main Egyptian channels. They offer 21 channels in the super elite package. I think my husband is pushing for it since they have it at his workplace and he's been impressed with the programming so far.

We had ART for awhile through our cable, but it was an extra $24 a month! It wasn't really worth it in the end, he didn't care for it enough to keep it at that ridiculous cost. In general we stopped looking since he rarely watches TV.

My husband went and is going thru a HUGE adjustment. He's been here almost a year and a half. You will understand intellectually that he's having a hard time but it is so hard to live with at times. I found we were in sync so much better online and on the phone but real life is different and hard. Mine is almost a different man but all life experience changes people. So I would expect changes in his attitude and possibly his personality.

Best advice I can give you be VERY patient. and remember how much you love him. Be very good to him. Be loving and supportive but sometimes he may need his space to be alone or depressed let him and TRY hard not to think he doesn't love you. DO NOT TAKE it personally. Be strong. and remeber many, many little things we take for granted is very confusing and hard for him.

You may regret it at times but if someone asked you would you do it all over again. You will take a long deep breath and say, "Yes....?"

Be optimisic and happy too, many men don't go thru quite the hard time mine is going through. Don't get me wrong I love my man to pieces, and every 3 to 4 weeks I'm ready to tear him to pieces. LOL!

I seem to really be in touch with what your saying.....unfortunately I am not as patient as you are and it seems that above all the adjustments , depression, and lack of wanting to adjust- I believe that we do so much for them, that if the love was there....they would make it happy for us , meanwhile they are adjusting....for sure we would not go to their country and make it impossible to live with them...we would be depressed and homesick while the adjustment period settles in, and always have our good face forward in order not to make them feel back for ALL the effords and sacrifice they made to have us by their side. So now , turn it around...dont you think if they need to go through any adjustments....they should be putting their good face forward in order to show appreciation for all the sacrifice we did for them!! And that is what a nice person does.....!! this is just my point of view of a woman with dignity and not desperate to have a man next to her!!!

Erase the image on how you thought your life would turn out- and start living the life you are living!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

We've had the Arabic Elite Super Duper Pack from Dish Network since my MIL has been here. It's kind of a waste since she really only watches Al Jazeera, Al Arabiya, and occasionally MBC. Hubby insisted that we needed ART, the sports channels, etc., but he rarely watches them.

We'll see about scaling back once she leaves.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.