slim

Salt - The Movie

31 posts in this topic

I saw this movie yesterday and really liked it. It was a great action movie and as usual, Angelina Jolie did a wonderful job. Liev Schrieber and Chiwetel Ejiofor also did well.

I remember joking when the whole Russian spy thing went down a few months ago about it all being a publicity stunt for this movie and how many of our wives could be spies. After seeing this movie, I'm starting to take it a little more seriously.

Without spoiling it, it's about sleeper agents integrating into American lifestyles and then becoming partisans on "Day X." Thinking about it more deeply, it wouldn't be impossible, especially for many of us with wives over 20 years old.

I'm pretty sure my wife isn't a sleeper agent. If she is, she's not very well trained. However, it really got me thinking.... how far would they go? And, how many of them would come to love America enough to not take part?

Definitely something to think about.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I saw this movie yesterday and really liked it. It was a great action movie and as usual, Angelina Jolie did a wonderful job. Liev Schrieber and Chiwetel Ejiofor also did well.

I remember joking when the whole Russian spy thing went down a few months ago about it all being a publicity stunt for this movie and how many of our wives could be spies. After seeing this movie, I'm starting to take it a little more seriously.

Without spoiling it, it's about sleeper agents integrating into American lifestyles and then becoming partisans on "Day X." Thinking about it more deeply, it wouldn't be impossible, especially for many of us with wives over 20 years old.

I'm pretty sure my wife isn't a sleeper agent. If she is, she's not very well trained. However, it really got me thinking.... how far would they go? And, how many of them would come to love America enough to not take part?

Definitely something to think about.

I just assume Alla is a spy and treat her accordingly. Remember...every gun is a loaded gun. :yes:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Just remember, they're trained not to talk, even under pressure.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Just remember, they're trained not to talk, even under pressure.

we are going to see the movie tonight. I will check her close for her reaction. In moments of great stress or extasy they will always revert to their native language

Oy Bozhia MOY!

I try never to discuss national secrets with Alla under any circumstances...just in case.

Gary And Alla

we are going to see the movie tonight. I will check her close for her reaction.

Have fun. Just don't get caught watching her. Remember, part of espionage training is counter-espionage and counter-surveillance. Right after that comes interrogation techniques!

In moments of great stress or extasy they will always revert to their native language

Oy Bozhia MOY!

Another great movie!

"After the Cold War, the AK-47 became Russia's biggest export. After that came vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists." I kept waiting for him to say mail-order brides but I guess that wouldn't have been consistent with the tone.

I try never to discuss national secrets with Alla under any circumstances...just in case.

It seems there's really no need to discuss anything. They already know.

Русский форум член.

Timeline

We all went to see the film tonight. I have to say, if I had a day or two like hers, I would be really sore for a couple days after that. :lol:

OK, so she tries to shoot the bad guy through the glass at close range and none of the bullets get through the glass...so where did they go? Seems like it could have been dangerous to be on her side of the glass. OK, and I am not sure all those stunts are really possible in real life. :P Oh...and Alla hates spiders.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Have fun. Just don't get caught watching her. Remember, part of espionage training is counter-espionage and counter-surveillance. Right after that comes interrogation techniques!

Another great movie!

"After the Cold War, the AK-47 became Russia's biggest export. After that came vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists." I kept waiting for him to say mail-order brides but I guess that wouldn't have been consistent with the tone.

It seems there's really no need to discuss anything. They already know.

Yes. Lord of War was great. They actually did (and do) have the ammunition plant in Odessa and the port is where I worked while there and the government officials haven't changed a bit, except for the emblems on their hats! :P A small metal box full of cash is still the best way to get things done!

One error though, they did not take down the Lenin statue or if they did...they put it back. I note he is still a prominent figure in any large city. Seems to always be the same statue.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes. Lord of War was great. They actually did (and do) have the ammunition plant in Odessa and the port is where I worked while there and the government officials haven't changed a bit, except for the emblems on their hats! :P A small metal box full of cash is still the best way to get things done!

One error though, they did not take down the Lenin statue or if they did...they put it back. I note he is still a prominent figure in any large city. Seems to always be the same statue.

We might have to go and see this movie.

The statues of Lenin are definitely different. I have seen several different ones. In Ulan-Ude, Lenin is even a huge disembodied head.

Timeline

We might have to go and see this movie.

The statues of Lenin are definitely different. I have seen several different ones. In Ulan-Ude, Lenin is even a huge disembodied head.

No doubt, I was speaking a bit tongue in cheek, but the statues in Donetsk, Odessa and Kiev that I have seen are identical (I think anyway, they appear to be) The biggest of the three is in Donetsk where he dominates the city center (it IS east Ukraine :whistle: )

Just referring to the part of that movie where Nicholas Cage is sitting on the dismantled statue of Lenin while they lower the Hammer & Sickle with a crane. The hammer and sickle are gone, it is true (except for a few man-hole covers I think they missed) but the Lenin statues are still there.

Gary And Alla

We all went to see the film tonight. I have to say, if I had a day or two like hers, I would be really sore for a couple days after that. :lol:

I know she's tough... but there's only so much punishment anyone's body can take.

What I find interesting is how these 130lb. women beat up all these 200lb. men. I also like how they catch them in heels during the foot pursuit over the course of several blocks and up and down several levels of buildings and obstacles.

OK, so she tries to shoot the bad guy through the glass at close range and none of the bullets get through the glass...so where did they go? Seems like it could have been dangerous to be on her side of the glass. OK, and I am not sure all those stunts are really possible in real life. :P Oh...and Alla hates spiders.

Bullet proof glass doesn't make bullets disappear, especially when firing from one foot away. I guess we're to assume the bullets just disintegrated upon impact and "vanished" into thin air.

I could buy jumping from one moving truck to another... but three? Come on!

Yeah, and spiders. FOOOOO!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

I know she's tough... but there's only so much punishment anyone's body can take.

What I find interesting is how these 130lb. women beat up all these 200lb. men. I also like how they catch them in heels during the foot pursuit over the course of several blocks and up and down several levels of buildings and obstacles.

Bullet proof glass doesn't make bullets disappear, especially when firing from one foot away. I guess we're to assume the bullets just disintegrated upon impact and "vanished" into thin air.

I could buy jumping from one moving truck to another... but three? Come on!

Yeah, and spiders. FOOOOO!

The best part was there was a young blonde girl selling the popcorn and I looked at her and said to myself "She looks Russian", sure enough, she was a Russian student here for a summer job, so I called Sergey over to meet her. After the movie she was outside the door of the theatre waiting "to clean up". Yeah right, and she could have been waiting at one of the other TEN screens to clean up. :rofl: I said "Sergey, if you do not recognize this for what it is I am going to hit you between the eyes with a board!" So he got her phone number and email address...IN MOSCOW. She is going back in September. :P

Anyway, yeah, no way she can jump from three trucks moving in different directions at different levels of the interstate. I mean, c'mon, if that was possible we would all go to work that way!

And what's with her being name "Chekov". Anyone knows her name would be "Chekova". Sergey says it must have been an American script writer. :lol:

I do wish it had been President Obama though. :D

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Anyway, yeah, no way she can jump from three trucks moving in different directions at different levels of the interstate. I mean, c'mon, if that was possible we would all go to work that way!

You mean you don't? Wuss! :lol:

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Timeline

You mean you don't? Wuss! :lol:

I mean...I would, really. :D But I live in Vermont and we do not have any Interstate overpasses. and even if we did, I could walk to work faster than waiting for a truck to come along to jump on! I would have to hitch a ride to Massachusetts, jump onto a truck there, jump off that truck onto another one heading north and come back. It is a 4 hour ride to the nearest interstate "interchange" where you could do such a thing! :lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I mean...I would, really. :D But I live in Vermont and we do not have any Interstate overpasses. and even if we did, I could walk to work faster than waiting for a truck to come along to jump on! I would have to hitch a ride to Massachusetts, jump onto a truck there, jump off that truck onto another one heading north and come back. It is a 4 hour ride to the nearest interstate "interchange" where you could do such a thing! :lol:

ROFL!

C'mon down to south western Ct Gary. We'll show ya how its done!

Gotta admit I wouldn't mind getting more north though. Just TOO close to "The Evil Empire" for me. Except for the winters (and accompanying washboard roads) I miss living in Maine.

За Жезни С Смехом

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.