J and O

Feel that we are moving backwards with US Embassy

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

We are both so upset about this VISA interview process...maybe someone out there can give us some advice. Olive had to get her NBI Clearance and NSO CENOMAR with her alias name spelling. She had neglected to put down her misspelled name on these two documents. She received her NBI from Angeles and took that back to the Embassy. The Embassy told her to go to the NSO Pasay and pay the fee and they would pick up the CENOMAR and take care of it. She did this on the same day as her interview (7/23). She called the NSO on 7/30 and was told that the Embassy had already pickup up the a.m. and her documents were not completed yet, however they should be done by Monday or Tuesday. She call late on Monday and was told they were completed but she could not pick them up and deliver them to the Embassy...only the Embassy could pick them up. She was told that they were to be released to the Embassy on Friday (8/6 yesterday). The Embassy told me around 12 p.m. that they did not have them and that the VISA could take up to 6 more weeks because it would have to go before the Consolute??? I didn't stop there and called back again about 1 p.m and was told that the NSO pickup wouldn't be until about 4 p.m. and once again that there could be 6 more weeks of waiting.

We don't know if the papers arrived at the Embassy I tried to call many times around 5 p.m. and couldn't get anyone to answer the phone a message kept telling me to "please try again later" On the Embassy site it says they are open until 6 p.m. for phone calls...but guess not!

We just don't know what to do at this point...it seems everytime we take a baby step forward we get pushed back a mile and are feeling that this VISA process is never going to end.

I have contacted my Senator's office and one is looking into what is going on while the other one just seems to be giving me the run around too. I also am waiting for a call back from my congressman. I would appreicate any feedback or suggestions on what to do about this. I know that she is legally free to marry and her NBI clearance was fine.

Thanks

Justin & Olive

9/11/09 Met online

2/6/10 Met in Philippines

2/6/10 through 2/17/10 Together in Angeles and Manila

2/17/10 Returned back to states

2/22/10 Mailed in K1F VISA

3/1/10 VISA Packet Received California Service Center

3/3/10 Check cashed

3/3/10 Touched

3/6/10 NOA1 received

4/21/10 NOA2 mailed (54 days)

4/27/10 NAO2 copy received

4/29/10 Petition send to U.S. Embassy Manila

5/3/10 NVC (Hardcopy) letter received dated April 29, 2010

5/7/10 Olive received letter from Embassy

6/15 & 16/10 Medical Exam at St. Lukes Manila

6/15 Completed day 1 of medical will return in July for day 2

7/1 Appointment for passport renewal Expedited passport

7/16 Passport at DFA

7/19 2nd day of Medical PASSED

7/23 Interview Needs NBI Clearance & CENOMAR with misspelling of her name and then will be approved

7/29 NBI return to Embassy

8/2 CENMAR done should be picked up by Embassy at Pasay on Friday 8/6

8/4 PRISM & CFO completed

8/10 VISA Approved

8/12 VISA Received

8/16 CFO Stamp on Passport

8/18 Arrive PDX Via Tokyo

9/4 Married

1/11 Biometrics

3/10 AOS Interview Portland, OR

Timeline

Olive had to get her NBI Clearance and NSO CENOMAR with her alias name spelling. She had neglected to put down her misspelled name on these two documents.

Sorry, but I am confused by this because of the word "misspelled". An alias is different spelling, sure - but that isn't a "misspelled" name. She has her name, and she has an alias. My recollection is that you have to report any aliases used in the visa application, along with her legal name.

CENOMAR application is here, and it indicates using your legal name:

CENOMAR

I see that in the NBI clearance it talks about people with "Namesakes" taking longer:

NBI FAS

I am inferring that you have to put both your legal name and your Alias (namesake?) on the NBI application, which would make sense but I could not find a copy of the form online. Maybe someone else with a copy can chime in.

The upshot is I think you are saying she did not report aliases, not that she failed to report a misspelling. I am not sure what they do when someone fails to report aliases. But regardless we should clarify exactly where she failed to report aliases, and if it is on the visa application too. That would really gum up the works.

Hi there!

If its just a siple request for further information, it does not seem logical for anyone to make a decision for that matter, especially a higher up. Normally, as soon as u provide them whaat they asked, it should be approved and wouldnt take them 6 weeks for that!

if you are really needing it immediately, you/she can go to the embassy at window X and ask questions. Maybe they can pull the file and give you/her an update!

We went to window X two times to ask questions about our case and had it expedited....we picked our packets 3 and 4 because they were not delivered to us in a timely fashion.

This could be a long shot but thats the only thing we can say!

Anyway, good luck!

We are both so upset about this VISA interview process...maybe someone out there can give us some advice. Olive had to get her NBI Clearance and NSO CENOMAR with her alias name spelling. She had neglected to put down her misspelled name on these two documents. She received her NBI from Angeles and took that back to the Embassy. The Embassy told her to go to the NSO Pasay and pay the fee and they would pick up the CENOMAR and take care of it. She did this on the same day as her interview (7/23). She called the NSO on 7/30 and was told that the Embassy had already pickup up the a.m. and her documents were not completed yet, however they should be done by Monday or Tuesday. She call late on Monday and was told they were completed but she could not pick them up and deliver them to the Embassy...only the Embassy could pick them up. She was told that they were to be released to the Embassy on Friday (8/6 yesterday). The Embassy told me around 12 p.m. that they did not have them and that the VISA could take up to 6 more weeks because it would have to go before the Consolute??? I didn't stop there and called back again about 1 p.m and was told that the NSO pickup wouldn't be until about 4 p.m. and once again that there could be 6 more weeks of waiting.

We don't know if the papers arrived at the Embassy I tried to call many times around 5 p.m. and couldn't get anyone to answer the phone a message kept telling me to "please try again later" On the Embassy site it says they are open until 6 p.m. for phone calls...but guess not!

We just don't know what to do at this point...it seems everytime we take a baby step forward we get pushed back a mile and are feeling that this VISA process is never going to end.

I have contacted my Senator's office and one is looking into what is going on while the other one just seems to be giving me the run around too. I also am waiting for a call back from my congressman. I would appreicate any feedback or suggestions on what to do about this. I know that she is legally free to marry and her NBI clearance was fine.

Thanks

Justin & Olive

Timeline

Sorry, but I am confused by this because of the word "misspelled". An alias is different spelling, sure - but that isn't a "misspelled" name. She has her name, and she has an alias. My recollection is that you have to report any aliases used in the visa application, along with her legal name.

CENOMAR application is here, and it indicates using your legal name:

CENOMAR

I see that in the NBI clearance it talks about people with "Namesakes" taking longer:

NBI FAS

I am inferring that you have to put both your legal name and your Alias (namesake?) on the NBI application, which would make sense but I could not find a copy of the form online. Maybe someone else with a copy can chime in.

The upshot is I think you are saying she did not report aliases, not that she failed to report a misspelling. I am not sure what they do when someone fails to report aliases. But regardless we should clarify exactly where she failed to report aliases, and if it is on the visa application too. That would really gum up the works.

It is the Embassy that is calling her name misspelling an alias.

CENOMAR was done with her correct spelling and taken to interview -- requested at interview that she go to NXO Pasay and have CENOMAR for misspelling of name....this was done on Monday 8/2 but she was told only the Embassy could pick up the document NSO Pasay told her it was done and was ready to be released on Friday and the Embassy told me that they would be picking up from NSO around 4 p.m. on 8/6

NBI was done with her correct spelling and taken to interview -- requested at interview that she get NBI clearance for her misspelled name which she did in Angeles and delivered to Embassy on 7/29. Called and this document had been documented as received.

What we don't understand is why it would take up to 6 weeks longer now for her VISA to be approved when these documents once completed would seem to be no different than someone that needed to have a 2010 tax form or additional payroll stubs for there VISA.

Also one of my senator's office told me that her VISA would now go to the bottom of the stack of 1000s of applications and have to work its way back to the top????

J & O

9/11/09 Met online

3/3/10 Check cashed

3/3/10 Touched

3/6/10 NOA1 received

7/16 Passport at DFA

7/23 Interview Needs NBI Clearance & CENOMAR with misspelling of her name and then will be approved

8/10 VISA Approved

8/12 VISA Received

9/4 Married

1/11 Biometrics

Timeline

It is the Embassy that is calling her name misspelling an alias.

CENOMAR was done with her correct spelling and taken to interview -- requested at interview that she go to NXO Pasay and have CENOMAR for misspelling of name....this was done on Monday 8/2 but she was told only the Embassy could pick up the document NSO Pasay told her it was done and was ready to be released on Friday and the Embassy told me that they would be picking up from NSO around 4 p.m. on 8/6

NBI was done with her correct spelling and taken to interview -- requested at interview that she get NBI clearance for her misspelled name which she did in Angeles and delivered to Embassy on 7/29. Called and this document had been documented as received.

What we don't understand is why it would take up to 6 weeks longer now for her VISA to be approved when these documents once completed would seem to be no different than someone that needed to have a 2010 tax form or additional payroll stubs for there VISA.

Also one of my senator's office told me that her VISA would now go to the bottom of the stack of 1000s of applications and have to work its way back to the top????

J & O

There is still something missing from this story, and it is impossible to answer until it is pinned down. It is the most important part: the beginning. Where did the whole thing with mis-spelling start? The fact you are omitting this and seem to be evasive about it makes it look like something fishy is going on. The way most people start a story is from the beginning. When someone leaves out the beginning of a story, suspicions naturally arise.

Did you mis-spell her name on some document? Did the interviewer just invent some different spelling out of thin air and order you to do a CENOMAR in that name out of spite?

It just doesn't make any sense. I would put it at the bottom of my pile too if it was explained to me as you have. Remember, you have lived this and we know nothing but what you tell us. Please be clear.

It is a terrible thing being in the clutches of bureaucracy and you have my sympathy for it. But please explain the story in a way that makes sense, and that means not leaving out why this whole thing got started. It could be a minor thing, and it could be a major thing. Correcting a problem requires knowing what the problem is in the first place.

I hope you can clarify this. Thanks.

Timeline

There is still something missing from this story, and it is impossible to answer until it is pinned down. It is the most important part: the beginning. Where did the whole thing with mis-spelling start? The fact you are omitting this and seem to be evasive about it makes it look like something fishy is going on. The way most people start a story is from the beginning. When someone leaves out the beginning of a story, suspicions naturally arise.

Did you mis-spell her name on some document? Did the interviewer just invent some different spelling out of thin air and order you to do a CENOMAR in that name out of spite?

It just doesn't make any sense. I would put it at the bottom of my pile too if it was explained to me as you have. Remember, you have lived this and we know nothing but what you tell us. Please be clear.

It is a terrible thing being in the clutches of bureaucracy and you have my sympathy for it. But please explain the story in a way that makes sense, and that means not leaving out why this whole thing got started. It could be a minor thing, and it could be a major thing. Correcting a problem requires knowing what the problem is in the first place.

I hope you can clarify this. Thanks.

I keep getting the feeling that you think we are hiding something...I can begin from the beginning and repeat this entire story that has previously been posted. In December 2009 Olive decided to correct the spelling on her BC before we applied for our VISA. It was very important to her that she get the spelling corrected from Maria OLIB to Maria Olive. When I did my K1 paperwork the last part of Feb 2010 I spelled her name as Maria OLIB because we were not sure that the BC would be changed because as of that time nothing was heard from regarding the change within the Philippine gvt. On my papers there was a section for other names used so I added the name Olive which was name she used. (some on the forum said she should do the change but this was very important to her to get corrected, and now I understand why it is because of her honesty). The corrected BC finally arrived in her hands and then she had to renew her passport which was to expire in Sept 2010. While she waited for the passport she went to SL and did day 1 of her medical. Once she received her passport port she went back and did day 2. When Olive did her papers for the interview, which was July 23, 2010 she filled out her name as Maria Olive, which she also did with the NBI Clearance and NSO CENAMOR) which bother came back clear. She said she didn't think about under alias on NBI & CENOMAR to put OLIB. When she did the interview everything was fine except she was told she needed to get NBI Clearance and NSO CENOMAR for OLIB. She went that same day (Embassy told her to go to NSO Pasay to get her CENOMAR) which she did the same day as her interview 7/23. She returned to Angeles to get her NBI Clearance because the car driver got lost and the day was getting late trying to find the NBI in Manila. She picked up her NBI on 7/29 and returned that to Embassy the same day. The Pasay NSO told her on Monday 8/2 that her CENOMAR would be completed on either late that day or Tuesday. She called Tuesday and was told that is was completed on Monday however only the Embassy could pick up the paper and they only pick up on Fridays. When she called on Friday 8/6 she was told that it was ready to be released to Embassy. When I called the Embassy around 12 noon on Friday I was told that they didn't have the paper, she could deliver it to window X and I explained about the Embassy pickup and got the same answer from the girl again and that was when she told me it could be another 6 weeks before her VISA is approved and she said something about it needed to go to Consolute and to CEBU and could be up to 6 weeks. I called back around 1 and this time I talked to someone else and found out that the Embassy would not be picking up at the NSO Pasay until about 4:00. I called the Embassy several times around 5 to 5:30 and got no answer (which frustrates me because the Embassy is open until 6 p.m.)

This is where we are at...told twice that it could take up to 6 weeks longer...needs to go to Consulate and what we don't understand is why would the NBI and CENOMAR documents be any different than needed to supply additional income proof, tax documents from previous years, etc. Also one of our Senator's told me that once these documents are received our petition will go to the bottom of the 1000's of applications and have to work its way to the top again, which too doesn't make a lot of sense.

Justin

Edited by J and O

9/11/09 Met online

3/3/10 Check cashed

3/3/10 Touched

3/6/10 NOA1 received

7/16 Passport at DFA

8/10 VISA Approved

8/12 VISA Received

9/4 Married

1/11 Biometrics

Timeline

I keep getting the feeling that you think we are hiding something...I can begin from the beginning and repeat this entire story that has previously been posted.

Thank you for finally pointing out there was an earlier thread. That would be a thing to link to in the OP, as many of us do not follow every thread here on VJ. You didn't have to re-type it. Showing us where the discussion was would have been fine.

So if I can summarize, her original birth certificate was mis-spelled. Her family name is Olive, but it was mis-spelled as Olib.

She had used Olib officially in her past, which included a passport in the name Olib. It is threfore definitely an alias now that the Birth Certificate has been changed.

She requested the birth certificate mis-spelling be changed to Olive before you applied for K-1, but after the I-129F was approved in the name Olib. She applied for the K-1 visa under the name Olive, which was not the name you used on the I-129F. You included the alias Olive on the I-129F, but you would have received your I-179C Notice of action in the name Olib.

She had a passport in the name Olib (Original misspelled birth certificate name) expiring Sept. 2010. She requested it be renewed under the name Olive.

She has received now the corrected Birth Certificate, in the name Olive. She also has a new passport in the name Olive. But you have an I-129F application approved for the name Olib. Furthermore, she did not include the alias Olib in her CENOMAR and NBI clearances. She had them done under Olive.

Now I understand why at the interview she was told to do CENOMAR and NBI in the name Olib. It is because your I-129F application was in the name Olib; because it was her birth certificate and passport names before you did anything under primary applicant name Olive immigration-wise.

After applying for I-129F and having it approved in the name Olib you had her birth certificate changed, her passport changed, and applied for the K-1 under the name Olive, and did not do CENOMAR and NBA clearances with the name she had apparently used her entire life officially up to that time.

Wow, no wonder this is all bolloxed up. It does not surprise me at all this would take another six weeks to to through, and that it would require going back to the consulate. I do not agree it is the same thing as requesting additional information.

Window X may be a possibility insofar as information, yes - but I do see why they are saying it would take another six weeks.

My condolences. It is really tough to go through this, and i think indeed you are in for the wait. If nothing else, I think people can learn that this manner of applying will cause some real complications.

Timeline

Thank you for finally pointing out there was an earlier thread. That would be a thing to link to in the OP, as many of us do not follow every thread here on VJ. You didn't have to re-type it. Showing us where the discussion was would have been fine.

So if I can summarize, her original birth certificate was mis-spelled. Her family name is Olive, but it was mis-spelled as Olib.

She had used Olib officially in her past, which included a passport in the name Olib. It is threfore definitely an alias now that the Birth Certificate has been changed.

She requested the birth certificate mis-spelling be changed to Olive before you applied for K-1, but after the I-129F was approved in the name Olib. She applied for the K-1 visa under the name Olive, which was not the name you used on the I-129F. You included the alias Olive on the I-129F, but you would have received your I-179C Notice of action in the name Olib.

She had a passport in the name Olib (Original misspelled birth certificate name) expiring Sept. 2010. She requested it be renewed under the name Olive.

She has received now the corrected Birth Certificate, in the name Olive. She also has a new passport in the name Olive. But you have an I-129F application approved for the name Olib. Furthermore, she did not include the alias Olib in her CENOMAR and NBI clearances. She had them done under Olive.

Now I understand why at the interview she was told to do CENOMAR and NBI in the name Olib. It is because your I-129F application was in the name Olib; because it was her birth certificate and passport names before you did anything under primary applicant name Olive immigration-wise.

After applying for I-129F and having it approved in the name Olib you had her birth certificate changed, her passport changed, and applied for the K-1 under the name Olive, and did not do CENOMAR and NBA clearances with the name she had apparently used her entire life officially up to that time.

Wow, no wonder this is all bolloxed up. It does not surprise me at all this would take another six weeks to to through, and that it would require going back to the consulate. I do not agree it is the same thing as requesting additional information.

Window X may be a possibility insofar as information, yes - but I do see why they are saying it would take another six weeks.

My condolences. It is really tough to go through this, and i think indeed you are in for the wait. If nothing else, I think people can learn that this manner of applying will cause some real complications.

No it is not "all bottoxed up" because when I first called to set up her interview date I had them change my papers to say Olive which they have changed and I do know this because when they email me regarding her it is in reference to Maria Olive not Maria Olib...the embassy has changed their records....what they wanted was to be sure that under her name which she went by for 26 years was to be sure there was no previous marriages or police records in the name Olib which we have no provided to the embassy...so why would there be up to another 6 weeks wait?

I am curious as to why you think this is all bottoxed up? Now I am really confused and why would it not be the same as requesting additional information? At 8 a.m. I am calling the embassy and maybe we will have some additional answer by then.

Thanks for your thoughts, however.

Justin

9/11/09 Met online

3/3/10 Check cashed

3/3/10 Touched

3/6/10 NOA1 received

7/16 Passport at DFA

8/10 VISA Approved

8/12 VISA Received

9/4 Married

1/11 Biometrics

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

No it is not "all bottoxed up" because when I first called to set up her interview date I had them change my papers to say Olive which they have changed and I do know this because when they email me regarding her it is in reference to Maria Olive not Maria Olib...the embassy has changed their records....what they wanted was to be sure that under her name which she went by for 26 years was to be sure there was no previous marriages or police records in the name Olib which we have no provided to the embassy...so why would there be up to another 6 weeks wait?

I am curious as to why you think this is all bottoxed up? Now I am really confused and why would it not be the same as requesting additional information? At 8 a.m. I am calling the embassy and maybe we will have some additional answer by then.

Thanks for your thoughts, however.

Justin

I think it is premature to get overly concerned. You discovered after many inquiries, that the US Embassy would pick up the corrected document 8/6 at 4pm. This almost certainly means the soonest the matter will be addressed is Monday, 8/9. I would be almost certain that the documents will be reviewed within the next few days, and the Visa will then be sent.

The possible six week delay that you are being told is most likely a 'worse case scenario' and it is more likely, just as other cases that have needed an updated form, or further clarification, that the matter will be adjudicated quickly. That your senator's office is reporting to you that the case will go 'to the bottom of the pile', is also in my opinion not accurate. Perhaps if the case was still with USCIS or the NVC, this could be the case, but it seems that currently once the USEM has control of the file, things have been moving along fairly rapidly.

If one can get an interview and a Visa within a couple weeks of USEM receiving the case, then why would it take 6 weeks to just review a couple of documents that were required after the tentative approval? It would not make sense.

So I believe you are being given the 'worst case scenario' time frame, and as many have been, you will also be pleasantly surprised that the matter will be resolved within days now that they have all the needed documents. Certainly calling for clarification and to verify receipt of the correct forms is prudent, however try to stay polite, calm, and respectful when you inquire.

Remember, when we file the I-129F we are told USCIS takes 5 months to process (mine was done in just over 2 months), we are told the NVC will take 2 or 3 weeks to process (mine was cleared in 1 day), and we are told the entire process of getting the Visa with a 129F will tale 8-12 months (current time frames have been typically 4-5 months). So to be told another exaggerated time frame should not be a surprise, and that your senator's office is also giving you pessimistic information should also not be a surprise, as they frequently handle inquiries that concern very complicated problems, and often are not even asked to intervene until standard avenues are exhausted.

I think a little more patience will be rewarded, and yes, if this happens to me next week, I will probably go into panic mode as well.

Best wishes.

Greg and Sarah

K1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2010-04-21

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-04-27

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-07-01

NVC Received : 2010-07-06

Consulate Received : 2010-07-13

Medical Exam: 2010-08-02/03 (passed)

Interview Date : 2010-08-10 (passed)

Visa Received: 2010-08-17 (5 business days after interview)

POE USA: Los Angeles, CA 2010-09-15

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2010-11-02

Bio. Appt. : 2010-11-29

AOS Transfer** : 2010-12-13

AOS Approval: 2011-02-02

Green Card Arrives: 2011-02-08

Employment Authorization Document

Bio. Appt. : 2010-11-29

Approved Date : 2011-01-12

Date Card Received : 2011-01-15

Advance Parole

Date Received : 2011-01-13

Justin...

Omahagreg is right... :thumbs: ...your Senator is full of it... :bonk: ...the Embassy is giving you a their usual worst-case-scenario bs... :blink: ...Olive will have a visa in her hand malapit na... :yes:

Now take a deep breath and relax...your time is coming! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.