Veronik

How did you meet?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is a great idea Vero! I love telling people our story (:

Clay and I met in Peru. We actually flew into the same airport (Santiago, Chile) on the same day, but didn't meet until 5 months later! We basically stayed in the same cities and towns without meeting one another. I was living in Cusco for 6 weeks and he was there the entire time, going to different bars, restaurants, but we never crossed paths. Finally, in May he introduced himself at a cafe in Huaraz, Peru. He asked me about the book collection and we hit it off. I was meant to go off on a hike with someone from the hostel, but they cancelled last minute, so Clay and I got to spend the entire day chatting. We eventually went on several treks together and he decided to extend his trip by another 2 months to travel with me. I then followed him to California, and the rest is history.

I like to think that one day, years from now, we'll go back to that cafe in Peru and remember how far we've come (;

AOS

POE @ Toronto Pearson - 08/12/10

Civil Ceremony - 08/27/10

Applied for SSN in married name - 09/06/10 (I was told it will take 4 weeks to get the background check cleared and an additional 2 weeks to receive my card)

AOS/EAD/AP sent with FedEx - 09/25/10

E-Notice From Chicago - 10/05/10

I-797C, NOA1 Received - 10/08/10

SSN card received (FINALLY!)- 10/23/10

Biometrics appointment - 10/28/10

EAD Approved - 11/19/10 (USCIS Website Notice)

AP Approved & Received - 11/22/10

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Interview - 02/07/11 APPROVED!

I am now a U.S. Permanent Resident!!

My K1 Journey can be found on the 'About Me' page

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met my hubby through a music site called Jango. Its not a dating site but maybe its turning into one ...laughing.gifHe's a musician, and I love music and photography. We talked for hours on the phone and decided to meet in Seattle as I go there often and he has family there. The rest is history. He flew up to visit me in Vancouver and i showed him our lovely city and he proposed and we got married on the beach in Kits. I can't remember how many times he's missed his flight home. I remeber the border guards giving me a bad time for going to visit someone I hadn't met in person. Yet talking for hours on end with no intent to impress actually was better than meeting first.

PS>>> I agree great idea Vero, some interesting stories eh!good.gif

Well, my story is kind of funny, kind of frustrating. lol!

My husband is actually from London, Ontario. He is American through his dual citizen parents (who were just Americans when he was born). Anyways, his parents moved to California in 2000 because his dad transferred there for work... but my hubby stayed in London. In early 2008, he decided he'd had enough of London and moved to California as well. A few months later he came to London to visit some friends, and it turns out we had quite the number of mutual friends (people I'd just recently started hanging out with prior to him leaving... I had heard one of my friends talking about her friend Dan quite frequently but never met him). We finally met at several events happening in town while he was there (the fringe festival was going on so we were out at shows a few times, and also at the bar and a party, and had opportunities to talk there). I had actually just broken up with my boyfriend of 2+ years, and was looking forward to being single for a while. Go figure. After Dan went back to California after his visit I sent him a Facebook message to tell him how it was nice to meet him, etc... he wrote back, and we carried on from there. lol

So yeah, long story short, we lived in the same city for almost 8 years, and didn't meet until after he moved away. SIIIIGH. :bonk:

Edited by ashenflowers

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I met online in the early days of the internet in 1994. Back then, there were 2 main choices to go online: AOL and Prodigy. My husband just got a computer and signed into prodigy, while one of my co-workers showed me how Prodigy and the internet worked. I posted a personal ad for fun, he replied, and there you have it! I had no idea where Alberta was, although I had heard of Calgary from the Olympics. Never had heard of Wayne Gretzky! We spent about $400 per month each for long distance phone calls, sent pictures to each other and made videos of our towns and sent to each other. We finally met in early '95 and were married later that year. I still have stacks and stacks of most of the e-mails we sent to each other back then.

I-130 Received Date per letter Feb 22, 2010

I-130 NOA1 Notice Date per letter Feb 28, 2010

I-130 Touched March 2, 2010

I-130 Touched March 23, 2010 no e-mail despite e-mail alert on, thankful nonetheless!

Kids Register of Birth Abroad & passport appointment March 31st, 2010 approved.

I-129F NOA1 April 8, 2010 (Let's see what happens with this K3 application) ugh!

I-129F Touched June 15, 2010

I-129F RFE (our atty forgot to complete 2 lines)

I-130 Approved June 23, 2010 121 days from NOA1

I-129F RFE details Received by USCIS July 7, 2010

I-130 Case # at NVC obtained July 8, 2010

I-130 NVC sent affidavit of support and visa bills July 8, 2010

I-129F approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

I-129F confirmed received by NVC and per supervisor, it will be administratively closed

I-129F letter recvd of administratively closed K3 app Aug 2, 2010

Timeline

I love these threads -- makes me feel so normal. I met my husband in an online a travel forum. I was researching and prepping to go to South East Asia and he was going to Australia. They had an off topic section and one day all my 'buddies' weren't around and i sent out a message asking where everyone was, where all my friends were. He sent me a PM that said I'll be your friend if you like. Then we started talking every day and well, the rest is history.

Never in my life did I think that would happen to me -- I had no motive to meet anyone, wasn't looking at all and BAM! Who knew. That was back in 2002.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I met my now ex-wife at a art event (Denver Dark Arts Festival). Was already in the US working on a TN status, but lived in the Springs and spent my weekends in Denver. Every year they used to have the Dark Arts Fest with art and bands and loads of drinks etc at several bars close together. My friends I was staying with wanted to leave early so another friend wanted me to stay so I did. She had to take photos of the one band at the other bar so I went with her and then sat down to watch. My ex was sitting right there and we both just stopped and looked at each other and then started talking. I asked her to hold my beer for a min and I forgot and came back an hour later and she was still there with my beer. So I knew right then that was she was it (at the time). Though we're still friends now...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This is great! Gosh reading your stories makes me feel normal, like how I met Chris wasn't too weird after all! I was worried they would find it strange at the interview! I love reading how random love can happen! :energy:

For our detailed K-1, AOS and ROC journey, see the "about me" page on our profile!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

World of warcraft - Night Elf and a gnome - we had mutual friends who created the guild we all belonged to.

At the end of every run and everytime he bumped into me in a city...he'd give me the emote

'Wizanerne gives Udella <Big Hugz>'.

What could be bad about 'Big Hugz' ? We started chatting in game and eventually went to IM and calling....it's been 5½ yrs now

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

No doubt. It was the most random thing that ever happened to me. Ever. I remember when he first flew up to meet me after 3 months of talking every single day. I was like ####### am I doing?????? THen I saw him and well. That was pretty much that.

This is great! Gosh reading your stories makes me feel normal, like how I met Chris wasn't too weird after all! I was worried they would find it strange at the interview! I love reading how random love can happen! :energy:

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We met in a Yahoo Chatroom in 1999 and went from chatting online to on the phone everyday until we finally met in person in the summer of 2003 and that's when we started dating.

This is our 11th year of knowing eachother and 7th year together as a couple.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

back in Aug 2007 I took a summer marine mammals course in St Andrews NB (I was doing a BSc in Wildlife Bio through McGill) the course was just about 2.5 weeks long. The first Saturday that we were there me and 4 other single gals decided we wanted to go on a road trip and go dancing and have a mini competition on who would go furthest with a guy (i know i know childish but it was to convince the shy ones to atleast talk-dance with someone). We googled bars in Maine and picked the funniest sounding one...once we got there it turned out to have been closed for 4 years!!! So we tried a few places and tehn finally started to head back to try adn find a place in St Stephens NB (the border town between Maine and NB). Since we had no idea where the bars were as soon as we found a pool hall I parked the car adn said ok, here it is then...when we got out I heard from across teh street Paralyzer by Finger 11. Immeadiate change of plans we are going over there! We walked in to teh bar and Adam was one of the 8 guys in the place (it was only 10pm or so)...I told my girls I choose him, they told me he was too young for me...so I just smiled and glanced at him from afar the whole night. He likes to be chased and so do i....lol. He was sittign with soem of his coworkers, once they got up and left my friend dragged me over to his table and asked hiim three wuestions "Name, Age, Occupation" once he answered 256 she bolted adn left me there (I was 23)I awkwardly waved adn said hi and we began talking...and then danced the whole night away! That night we exchanged MSN and made plans for our first date teh next day. I happened to have a car accident (no one was hurt , animal in road) that night and so I wouldnt drive to meet up with him. He came via taxi (soem 80$ later lol)and then we walked to dinner, and strolled hand in hand in St Andrews adn then gazed adn the stars...it was a 6 hr first date!!!!! The rest is history!

I forgot to Add, he was in Calais, Maine for a job but was from Michigan...it was a chance encounter he had never gone to that bar, and never went again...

Edited by Hendea3

My husband and I met in Ecuador. We were both there on the same archaeology dig. The first night we met, neither of us really remember as there was plenty of alcohol present but there are pictures of us dancing and obviously mooning over each other. The next day, we sort of chit-chatted. But nothing came of it till a couple of nights later. There were some romantic moments around where we lived in Ecuador and then when we went on various tours around Ecuador we always explored the sights together. By the time the trip was ending, we were in cafe in Quito and the song "Fools Rush In" was playing and my future husband looked at me and said he was coming to Canada. I told him he was crazy but I hoped that he really would. We only knew each other four 4 weeks. But he did come! And then I went to Kansas. And plenty of other wonderful things happened. And then fast forward 5 years and we are still going strong.

I love reading all of these delightful stories!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I used to live in Nunavut and keep a blog about it. Last August, A says he was bored and since he had always wanted to go to Nunavut (but it is extremely expensive to fly there), he randomly Googled something like "people in Nunavut blogs" to read about it, just to pass some time. My blog popped up, he started reading it, liked it, so he added me to Twitter. He would ask me all these inane questions and I never bothered to follow him back because I thought he was weird for being so interested in what I had to say.

ANYWAY, long story short, eventually we started sending each other emails...after maybe 5 or 6 really long emails we graduated to Facebook chat and playing Settlers of Catan on asobrain. We'd play one game and then keep chatting in the window for like an hour before starting another game. It went on like that until we finally graduated to Gchat and we had very longggg conversations there. I was leaving in a few days to go back to Ontario for Christmas and A lives less than 2 hours from my hometown, so we decided to meet. I drove to Michigan and we had an amazing time (obviously, or we wouldn't still be together, haha).

Oh yeah, I meant to add that I ended up flying him up to Nunavut twice, once in the summer and once in the winter and I was so glad to do it because he'd been wanting to see the arctic for so long. :)

Edited by JlovesA

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

We met on eHarmony. I joined the same month his subscription was ending and he wasn't going to renew it. Talk about timing! We emailed and chatted for about a month before talking on the phone for 3 weeks then meeting. He drove 10 hours down to southern Oregon to see me and it was a great first weekend. So he did it again 2 weeks later, then me 3 weeks later up to BC and then we each made the trip every other month. After a year of that I made the move up to northern WA - as close to the Canadian border as I could get.

It's so interesting to see how everyone met in such different ways, and all ended up taking the same lengthy journey together. :)

Ben and I also met on World of Warcraft, about six years ago. My boyfriend got me hooked on the game, and Ben was the leader of the first guild we joined together. We became friends, and while having issues with my boyfriend, I confided in Ben. Eventually in-game conversations became lengthy emails and chats... until I started working like mad and he was finishing up school/placements and we lost touch. We sent sporadic emails to each other, just a "hey, hope life's treating you well", but as we'd both really stopped playing the game, it seemed like that's where things would stay.

After a little over a year of no real contact between us, I decided to log into the game for a bit to pass some time. And there he was! We ended up spending all night (and all of the next day) chatting with each other and catching up, learning that we were both unattached and had been for awhile. After a couple of days of chatting (aka, feeling each other out, haha), I made the joking comment that he should come for a visit when his vacation time rolled around (it was the end of September and we both knew that wouldn't be until February). He said he'd have to think about that, that it sounded like a good idea.

The next day, he forwarded me a receipt of his itinerary for the first weekend of December. And the rest is, of course, history.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.