Andrew + Bethany

Experience so far

53 posts in this topic

I think the key with the food is to not focus so much on trying to find/replicate favorites, but to explore into new tastes and dishes and find different and new favorites here.

:thumbs:

I've grown a huge love of corn on the cob since moving here, which I never ate in the UK. I'm addicted.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been here almost 4 years now and I get a few things sent over every now and then. The thing is I live in New York city so I really don't lack british culture. I have shops that sell british food, Myers of Keswick is a great butchers among other thigs. I get to go to english/irish pubs and hang out with fellow expats watching football. I get to play football. We even have a few really good chippies here (eg. a salt and Battery).

NYC is a great place to transition although I have always been very adaptable and could in all honesty live anywhere in the world without too many problems (other than language). I might have to draw the line at Texas though.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

:thumbs:

I've grown a huge love of corn on the cob since moving here, which I never ate in the UK. I'm addicted.

My husband is the same - I don't think you find as much fresh stuff in the UK (not a lot of cornfields) so a lot of what you get in the supermarket there is frozen or packaged from afar

I've been here almost 4 years now and I get a few things sent over every now and then. The thing is I live in New York city so I really don't lack british culture. I have shops that sell british food, Myers of Keswick is a great butchers among other thigs. I get to go to english/irish pubs and hang out with fellow expats watching football. I get to play football. We even have a few really good chippies here (eg. a salt and Battery).

NYC is a great place to transition although I have always been very adaptable and could in all honesty live anywhere in the world without too many problems (other than language). I might have to draw the line at Texas though.

We live in LA, and it's very similar. Plus we have the bonus of better weather. Culturally, major metropolitan areas aren't as different (though they are different) as moving from London to some small town in the south of the midwest.

90day.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline
Yeah, I'm not big on the food in the US either. Too much corn syrup, sugar, and fat. I miss fresh fruit that can be shipped from Europe quickly, so I'm not told things are "out of season".

You forget salt. I was SHOCKED in Scotland that the soda has about 0 salt in it. SHOCKED...and it still tasted fine. I wish they would cut that ####### back here.

People have been mentioning American food, but what I think I've managed to get my English fiancee hooked on is Mexican food! Yum!

I managed to get Rob hooked on it too. The funny thing is, he doesn't know it yet, but he's hooked on Tex Mex as well as authentic Mexican food. :) He tried to get me to make Mexican for him in Scotland, which was a disaster by the way.... OLD EL PASO brand is NOT Mexican food. :angry:

Andrew,

Welcome to the South....or mid-west-ish. The weather in this area is absolutely unpredictable. I'm in Arkansas, the state below you, and tornado sirens, hot and humid weather, and unpredictable winters are all part of the joys of living in this region!

For different types of cheese and fare similiar to home for you, I believe Sam's Club has a particularly large cheese section, and I know they sell lamb there if that helps. A-1 Steak Sauce is similar to brown sauce if you're a brown sauce eater. This time of the year is also the best time of the year to try and get your hands on homegrown tomatoes if there are any around. They're so much better than store purchased tomatoes! If you think of anything you are particularly missing and craving, let me know, I might be able to point you to a store. Oh and bread...try the bakery sections of grocery stores, and not the "bread" aisle. I noticed they tend to be more like UK bread.

I have to tell you, I think it's odd you feel like Missouri is nothing like England! When I landed in Manchester, I got off the plane and thought, "I just flew 4k miles to go to a place that looks JUST LIKE ARKANSAS!!!". Perhaps it is because you are used to major cities, and I am used to a more rural environment. This whole STATE has just under 3 million people in it.

I am sorry to hear you are having bouts of homesickness. I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't, but it's refreshing to see you have a great attitude about meeting people in church, and appreciating the new friends and family you're making. I am sure it will help ease your way!

I hope you continue to do well and thrive in your marriage and life! :)

"You don't marry someone you can live with, you marry the person you can't live without."

Mailed K-1 on 2-6-10

USCIS received packet on 2-8-10

NOA 1: Received 2-16-10

NOA 2: Approved 4-29-10 (72 Days)

NVC Forwarded Petition to London- 5-6-10

NVC Letter Received: 5-7-1010

London Received Packet: 5-14-10

London Mailed Packet to Rob: 5-18-10

Packet 3 Received by Rob: 5-22-2010

Packet 3 paperwork mailed to Rob 6-12-10

Medical- July 8, 2010

Everything mailed to Embassy 7-19-10

Interview Date: 9-14-10- Approved pending non-machine washed replacement passport.

Entry to US- 10-6-10 POE- Newark

Wedding- 10-23-10

AOS

Mailed AOS paperwork to the Chicago lockbox 1-7-11

Delivery Notification 1-10-11

Text stating application was received 1-20-11

Check Cashed 1-21-11

NOA 1 received 1-22-11

Biometrics letter received 1-29--11

Biometrics appointment 2-24-11

Received notice- I-485 has been transferred to the California Service Center 2-9-11.

3-11-11 - EAD production ordered

3-19-11- EAD Received

3-31-2011- AOS approved without interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancee is from way up north in the UK and when she was visiting northern Virginia (Washington DC metro area) we found a place here called the British Pantry. They can get food items including the HP brown sauce - so it's nice to know we can have access to important things like that. I imagine it's a little more different for those UK folks immigrating out into the sticks or a "back water" part of the US where the cultural and geographical differences are more stark.

In the case of both me and my fiancee, weather is an important factor. Extreem cold affects us both negatively but in different ways. I grew up in northern California where the weather is hot and dry and winters are very mild. However, I lived for the past 15-20 years in upstate New York (Rochester and most recently Syracuse) and the winters are long, bitter and snowy there. Due to some changes in my life I have moved to northern Virginia and the winters are a bit milder here, very little snow typically.

As for food, its an adventure. I love many different kinds and I've sound so far that what she makes is similar enough to what we eat here. In the DC area there is a huge ethnic diversity so you can get just about anything.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2008 Aug Met and began online relationship

- 2008 Dec 2-7 Met 1st time in person (England)

- 2009 Mar 28 Became engaged

- 2009 Apr 2-15 Met 2nd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Aug 25 - Sep 25 Met 3rd time in person (Syracuse-NY-USA)

- 2009 Oct 19 Sent I-129F Application to USCIS

- 2009 Oct 30 NOA1 received

- 2010 Jan 20 NOA2 received (Approval Notice)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 Mar 26 - Apr 15 Met 4th time in person (Fairfax-VA-USA)

- 2010 July 29 Fiancee had medical in London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

My fiancee is from way up north in the UK and when she was visiting northern Virginia (Washington DC metro area) we found a place here called the British Pantry. They can get food items including the HP brown sauce - so it's nice to know we can have access to important things like that. I imagine it's a little more different for those UK folks immigrating out into the sticks or a "back water" part of the US where the cultural and geographical differences are more stark.

CoffeeMuse - is that the place in Aldie, Va?

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Timeline

CoffeeMuse - is that the place in Aldie, Va?

I didn't know it was called Aldie but yes, thats the store:

http://www.thebritishpantry.us/

Its not far from where I currently live in the Chantilly/Mannassas area west of Fairfax and Washington DC. The woman who run's the store is from Scottland and is an expat who married an American and has been here some 20 years. She did say the store would be moving to Alexandria VA were she was already planning on opening a bigger store like that.

Formerly of not so sunny Syracuse, New York (and going way back, Davis California!)

- 2010 Feb 4 Notified that approved I-129F petition forward to US Emabassy at London

- 2010 July 30 London Embassy Interview Date (K1 Visa approved pending a laundry list of medial stuff)

- 2010 Nov 2 Courier website shows K1 Visa packet enroute for delivery. 1st indication of final approval!

- 2010 Nov 3 K1 Visa packet delivered by courier! Visa's are in the building and in my fiancees hands! (tentative Jan 2011 arrival)

I sent the link to C, I'l check it out when I am next up that way (she works up there during the week). Thanks for the recommendation. Now if they do back bacon and strawberry ribena she'll be in heaven!

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Timeline

I sent the link to C, I'l check it out when I am next up that way (she works up there during the week). Thanks for the recommendation. Now if they do back bacon and strawberry ribena she'll be in heaven!

The did have a cooler with meat items in it IIRC, and yes, I saw bottles of Ribena but not sure which flavors. That location is only a few miles from where I live. Its a bit pricey IIRC - like the large bottles of HP Brown Sauce were about $10 but if you have to have something, you have to have it. =P

I just bought BRANSTON PICKLE.

Num num num num num.

:dead:

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.