sassafrass417

visiting during k1 process

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Hi...I'm new to this website but have found it extremely helpful so thanks to all!

I have a couple of things to add/ask, which might be stupid questions, but not sure...

1- With regards to visiting after filing the K1 petition; couldn't you easily book a two-week roundtrip ticket, have your itinerary with you & then change your flight back through the airline while you're visiting, thus extending your visit? As long as it's within the 3 months you're alloted, wouldn't it reduce extraneous questioning at your POE? You're not breaking any rules.

2- I'm wondering if the immigration officers already know you've filed for the K1 visa? Would they have that information readily available to them? I'm thinking if they see someone visiting a friend/girlfriend for 2 weeks, that's going to cause less questioning than someone who's coming for 3 months to visit their fiance. I just want to know what to be prepared for.

3- Do you have to be in your respective country's to file the K1 paperwork?

Thanks for any/all help!

K1 Timeline:

9.10.10 - Mailed I-129F

9.14.10 - Received in Dallas, signed for by L. Walker.

9.20.10 - Check cashed

2.7.11 - NOA2 via email

3.31.11 - Medical interview

4.4.11 - Mailed packet 3 and paid visa fee

4.26.11 - Visa interview appointment, 9am

4.26.11 - Visa APPROVED!!!

5.4.11 - Visa delivered

5.25.11 - POE: Chicago

6.5.11 - Wedding in Omaha

AOS:

6.18.11 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

6.20.11 - Received in Chicago/check cashed

6.27.11 - NOA1 recieved for all three (AOS/EAD/AP)

7.26.11 - Biometrics appointment, 2pm

8.4.11 - Transfered to CSC

8.11.11 - EAD approved!!! (checked website)

9.14.11 - Green card approved!! (checked website)

9.19.11 - Green card in hand. Nothing further until 9/1/13!

"Absence is to love as wind is to fire; it extinguishes the small and kindles the great."

Immigration has it in your records that you have applied for a visa. If you say you are visiting just a girlfriend or friend when in fact you are visiting your fiance or you lie about how long you want to stay you are committing fraud.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

My fiance and I are planning to start the K1 paperwork when I head over to Boston at the start of next month. My return ticket is booked for November. Whilst I'm obviously a little concerned about potential questioning (I was there for an extended stay at the beginning of the year) I'm just planning to arm myself with evidence of my permanent address in the UK, plus a statement from contacts in the US as to the nature of my visit. I think it's best to just be as transparent as possible - in the long run it'll cause far less confusion and problems. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I noticed that most of these questions were for the England resident coming to the US... I am the US resident and I am planning on visiting my Fiance in December. I am sending out the I-129F Tomorrow. Will it be a problem for me to enter the country, since I am not the one moving?

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

09/27/2010 - Mailed I-129F

10/01/2010 - NOA1

12/17/2010 - Engagement!

12/17/2010 - I visited England

03/04/2011 - NOA2

03/17/2011 - Consulate Received

03/21/2011 - Packet 3 Mailed to London

03/23/2011 - Medical

03/24/2011 - Fiance received Packet 3 (already sent out)

04/27/2011 - Interview - Approved!

05/09/2011 - Visa Received

05/09/2011 - Flight

check out my blog: http://www.jaglever.com

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I noticed that most of these questions were for the England resident coming to the US... I am the US resident and I am planning on visiting my Fiance in December. I am sending out the I-129F Tomorrow. Will it be a problem for me to enter the country, since I am not the one moving?

@Rachel-Marie: I'm the USC and I'm actually in the UK right now visiting my British Fiance. I filed back in August and haven't had a problem visiting since. Make sure that you bring a few proof of ties to the US, usually your return ticket itinerary is enough but it doesn't hurt to be over prepared. I also brought a copy of my lease and our NOA1, just in case.

@Sassafrass: As for the UK citizen visiting the US, yes you technically could book a two week ticket and then change your return. Its up to you if you want to deceive the CBP officer thus, just keep in mind that while the VWP is good for 90 days, its also only good for (I think) 180 days within a 1 year period. Just make sure not to overstay. Also, I was under the impression that the CBP officer would NOT be able to see in his computer that you've filed a K-1. I'm not really sure, that was just what I had thought I'd heard. I could be wrong. However, it's never a good idea to lie to a CBP officer. If they ask you who you're visiting, just say you're visiting your Fiance.

@RJI: woohoo! Boston! me too! :)

Filed: Timeline

1- With regards to visiting after filing the K1 petition; couldn't you easily book a two-week roundtrip ticket, have your itinerary with you & then change your flight back through the airline while you're visiting, thus extending your visit? As long as it's within the 3 months you're alloted, wouldn't it reduce extraneous questioning at your POE? You're not breaking any rules.

Yes, you could do that. I have done it myself..... entered with one itinerary and changed my mind part-way through. Sometimes for less days; sometimes for more. As you said, as long as you don't violate the expiry date of your I-94 you're fine. Just be aware that the Officer sometimes changes the date on the I-94 if they're not completely satisfied that you'll adhere to the terms. In other words, if your return flight has you leaving in two weeks, they may adjust the expiry date of the I-94 to coincide with the date of your flight. In this case you need to be on that flight.

2- I'm wondering if the immigration officers already know you've filed for the K1 visa? Would they have that information readily available to them? I'm thinking if they see someone visiting a friend/girlfriend for 2 weeks, that's going to cause less questioning than someone who's coming for 3 months to visit their fiance. I just want to know what to be prepared for.

No, they do not know a visa has been filed for. In fact, they won't even know if a visa has been issued until they flip through your passport and see it. This does not mean that an extended period of investigation won't turn it up if you are sent to secondary. Best rule of thumb.... honesty is your best choice. Bring a copy of the NOA(s) and the petition/application. You don't need the entire thing.... just the basic data. That will show that you have intent to immigrate legally. Some opt to fly through a Pre-Clearance Airport .... in your case Ireland.... so they don't have the addded expense of an unexpected overseas return ticket. You will also find this link useful: Visitation FAQ's

Also, if you should ever be denied entry "just because" it will not affect the visa process itself. So don't worry that if they turn you back (aka, allow you to withdraw) that your visa will be denied. Refusals are not grounds for denying a visa unless you have done something illegal.

3- Do you have to be in your respective country's to file the K1 paperwork?

No. Quite a number of us filed while we were visiting.

Welcome to VJ. :)

iagree.gif

Timeline

@Rachel-Marie: I'm the USC and I'm actually in the UK right now visiting my British Fiance. I filed back in August and haven't had a problem visiting since. Make sure that you bring a few proof of ties to the US, usually your return ticket itinerary is enough but it doesn't hurt to be over prepared. I also brought a copy of my lease and our NOA1, just in case.

@Sassafrass: As for the UK citizen visiting the US, yes you technically could book a two week ticket and then change your return. Its up to you if you want to deceive the CBP officer thus, just keep in mind that while the VWP is good for 90 days, its also only good for (I think) 180 days within a 1 year period. Just make sure not to overstay. Also, I was under the impression that the CBP officer would NOT be able to see in his computer that you've filed a K-1. I'm not really sure, that was just what I had thought I'd heard. I could be wrong. However, it's never a good idea to lie to a CBP officer. If they ask you who you're visiting, just say you're visiting your Fiance.

@RJI: woohoo! Boston! me too! :)

That is great! Very inspring since having read everyone's horror stories. I hope that I get a nice officer! Someone on yahoo answers told me this:

Contrary to what many others may tell you, you do run a risk of being bounced back to the USA. Many people in your situation do get into the UK for a brief visit, however many are stopped and questioned and then returned. The simple fact that you are engaged to a British citizen is enough of a reason for you to be considered an overstay risk, and be bounced.

When you travel to the UK, make sure you have with you in your carry on a letter from your employer stating your employment details, and they know you are going on this holiday and the dates. If you go to school, try to get something from the school showing your enrollment. A copy of your rental agreement/mortgage. Basically as much evidence as you can produce showing strong ties to the USA.

American women head the list for people being bounced from the UK. So just remember that, and take precautions.

Donna

I am so worried, should I be?

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

10/01/2010 - NOA1

12/17/2010 - Engagement!

03/04/2011 - NOA2

03/23/2011 - Medical

05/09/2011 - Flight

Timeline

That is great! Very inspring since having read everyone's horror stories. I hope that I get a nice officer! Someone on yahoo answers told me this:

Contrary to what many others may tell you, you do run a risk of being bounced back to the USA. Many people in your situation do get into the UK for a brief visit, however many are stopped and questioned and then returned. The simple fact that you are engaged to a British citizen is enough of a reason for you to be considered an overstay risk, and be bounced.

When you travel to the UK, make sure you have with you in your carry on a letter from your employer stating your employment details, and they know you are going on this holiday and the dates. If you go to school, try to get something from the school showing your enrollment. A copy of your rental agreement/mortgage. Basically as much evidence as you can produce showing strong ties to the USA.

American women head the list for people being bounced from the UK. So just remember that, and take precautions.

Donna

I am so worried, should I be?

Well whoever wrote that yahoo answer is technically correct. You absolutely can be denied entry into the UK. I definitely question where this person got their statistics though. "..however, many are stopped and questioned and then returned." Many? How many? Obviously it does happen, but this sounds to me like something they made up. I did read on here about one woman who was denied entry into the UK, I can't remember her name but it was because she was young and didn't know any better and didn't have ANY ties to the US or a return ticket. She was successfully able to visit later though, even after the previous denial.

Don't be worried about visiting, I'm living proof you can do it. I'm sitting in my fiance's bed right now and this is actually the second time I've visited him in the UK since we filed. Since I was here for about a week in August and then again for another week only a month later, I made sure to prepare myself for the grilling I was sure to get at immigration. The CBP officer didn't really seem to like the fact that I was here AGAIN after only a month. Our exchange went something like this:

CBP: Hi there, so why are you here today?

Me: on holiday

CBP: ah, it looks like you were just here in August, is that right?

Me: yup

CBP: who are you staying with at this address in Sheffield? (he read it off the immigration card)

Me: my fiance

CBP: your fiance, eh? Is he British?

CBP: How did you two meet?

Me: Actually we met in elementary school, in California, where I grew up.

CBP: And is he a British citizen?

CBP: And who does he live with at this address?

Me: Some housemates that he went to Uni with.

CBP: and what does he do?

Me: he just graduated so he's working at a coffee shop until he can get something better

CBP: What'd he study?

Me: Biomedical science

CBP: *looks through my passport for a solid few minutes*

CBP: You sure do come to England a lot, I thought Americans didn't get very many holidays, how do you get so much time off?

Me: Well my boss is an orthodox jew and owns his own practice so when he takes time off for the high holidays, of which there are a lot, he shuts down the entire office

CBP: mmph, do you have a copy of your return ticket?

Me: hands him the copy

CBP: and when are you planning on getting married?

Me: Next June, pending his US visa approval.

CBP: ok *stamps my passport, FINALLY*

I don't usually get so many questions, but since I"d JUST bene to the UK a month before and because my passport has like 10 other entry stamps from UK visits in the past 2 years, he was very thorough. But as you can see, he didn't ask me anything particularly scary, and he didn't make me go anywhere weird, this entire exchange took place right at his desk. And he let me go straight through in the end. I may have posted this already, sometimes I forget what I've already said, but if not, check out this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/ its predominantly about foreign fiance's visiting the US, but it really goes both ways.

So definitely don't worry, there's a 99.99% you won't have a problem, as long as you don't do anything stupid. Just make sure you're well prepared. Don't panic, answer all their questions honestly and as briefly as possible. Don't bring up anything extra unless they ask. Make SURE you have a copy of your return ticket, and if you have a layover or a train to catch, just make sure you give yourself enough time to get through immigration. Also, if you can, fly into London. They're generally the most friendly there and they've heard it all before so if you're honest and your visit seems straightforward (as it should) you should be fine. I've heard immigration at Manchester is a complete hassle so try to avoid it if you can.

Best of luck! :luv:

Timeline

Well whoever wrote that yahoo answer is technically correct. You absolutely can be denied entry into the UK. I definitely question where this person got their statistics though. "..however, many are stopped and questioned and then returned." Many? How many? Obviously it does happen, but this sounds to me like something they made up. I did read on here about one woman who was denied entry into the UK, I can't remember her name but it was because she was young and didn't know any better and didn't have ANY ties to the US or a return ticket. She was successfully able to visit later though, even after the previous denial.

Don't be worried about visiting, I'm living proof you can do it. I'm sitting in my fiance's bed right now and this is actually the second time I've visited him in the UK since we filed. Since I was here for about a week in August and then again for another week only a month later, I made sure to prepare myself for the grilling I was sure to get at immigration. The CBP officer didn't really seem to like the fact that I was here AGAIN after only a month. Our exchange went something like this:

CBP: Hi there, so why are you here today?

Me: on holiday

CBP: ah, it looks like you were just here in August, is that right?

CBP: who are you staying with at this address in Sheffield? (he read it off the immigration card)

Me: my fiance

CBP: your fiance, eh? Is he British?

CBP: How did you two meet?

Me: Actually we met in elementary school, in California, where I grew up.

CBP: And is he a British citizen?

CBP: And who does he live with at this address?

Me: Some housemates that he went to Uni with.

CBP: and what does he do?

Me: he just graduated so he's working at a coffee shop until he can get something better

CBP: What'd he study?

Me: Biomedical science

CBP: *looks through my passport for a solid few minutes*

CBP: You sure do come to England a lot, I thought Americans didn't get very many holidays, how do you get so much time off?

Me: Well my boss is an orthodox jew and owns his own practice so when he takes time off for the high holidays, of which there are a lot, he shuts down the entire office

CBP: mmph, do you have a copy of your return ticket?

Me: hands him the copy

CBP: and when are you planning on getting married?

Me: Next June, pending his US visa approval.

CBP: ok *stamps my passport, FINALLY*

I don't usually get so many questions, but since I"d JUST bene to the UK a month before and because my passport has like 10 other entry stamps from UK visits in the past 2 years, he was very thorough. But as you can see, he didn't ask me anything particularly scary, and he didn't make me go anywhere weird, this entire exchange took place right at his desk. And he let me go straight through in the end. I may have posted this already, sometimes I forget what I've already said, but if not, check out this thread: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/67796-yes-you-can-visit/ its predominantly about foreign fiance's visiting the US, but it really goes both ways.

So definitely don't worry, there's a 99.99% you won't have a problem, as long as you don't do anything stupid. Just make sure you're well prepared. Don't panic, answer all their questions honestly and as briefly as possible. Don't bring up anything extra unless they ask. Make SURE you have a copy of your return ticket, and if you have a layover or a train to catch, just make sure you give yourself enough time to get through immigration. Also, if you can, fly into London. They're generally the most friendly there and they've heard it all before so if you're honest and your visit seems straightforward (as it should) you should be fine. I've heard immigration at Manchester is a complete hassle so try to avoid it if you can.

Best of luck! :luv:

Right. Thank you! That is really comforting. I am flying into heathrow and I have only been to England once and it was in July. So it has been a few months at least. I am going to bring my college class schedule, my apartment lease, and copies of the visa just incase.

So initially it would be best if I just said I was on vacation and not say up front that I am visiting him?

K-1 VISA TIMELINE

10/01/2010 - NOA1

12/17/2010 - Engagement!

03/04/2011 - NOA2

03/23/2011 - Medical

05/09/2011 - Flight

Timeline

When they ask me what I'm doing in the UK, I always reply with: I'm here on holiday. They're asking you what you're doing in the UK and they're basically looking for 3 categories of answers to know where to go next. 1. Vacation (thats you) 2. Business 3. In transit (flying into London then taking the train to Paris for example)

You can certainly reply with "I'm here visiting my fiance" right off the bat, I just like to keep it as simple as possible.

I'm a Boston UK'er too, I completed the process in 2009, so let me know if you have any questions. :)

I went through Logan about 12 times in our 4 year long distance relationship, I always told them that I was there to visit my boyfriend or fiancee. I never had any problems getting through except one time when the trips were close together. He asked a lot about my intentions and asked to see various bits of paperwork, and I truly believe he would've sent me to secondary if I hadn't had that. So although it's a small percentage that are returned to the UK, the risk is there. Just come prepared and most importantly, act calm and comfortable.

Timeline

I'm a Boston UK'er too, I completed the process in 2009, so let me know if you have any questions. :)

woohoo! boston! :)

I went through Logan about 12 times in our 4 year long distance relationship, I always told them that I was there to visit my boyfriend or fiancee. I never had any problems getting through except one time when the trips were close together. He asked a lot about my intentions and asked to see various bits of paperwork, and I truly believe he would've sent me to secondary if I hadn't had that. My Fiance's been sent through secondary like 3 or 4 times. It sucks, and it drives him nuts, but no harm ever comes of it. They've always let him through in the end.

So although it's a small percentage that are returned to the UK, the risk is there. Just come prepared and most importantly, act calm and comfortable.

My fiance arrives Friday! We're nervous but he's really prepared.

Oh Amy, how long does it normally take him to get through when sent to secondary? I'm so worried I'll be pacing and terrified in the airport the longer he takes to get through the gates and I'll be wondering if something went wrong.

Edited by gap1

Naturalization Process (FINALLY!)

05.29.14 - N-400 filed

06.02.14 - Packet received at the Lewisville Texas Center

06.05.14 - Check cleared

06.04.14 - NOA date

06.13.14 - Biometrics letter received

07.02.14 - Biometrics appointment

07.07.14 - In line

07.17.14 - 'Yellow Paper' date

09.10.14 - Interview scheduled NOA date

10.15.14 - Interview date

10.15.14 - RFE (missing documentation)

10.21.14 - RFE response received in NYC facility

11.04.14 - Oath ceremony scheduled, approved!

11.19.14 - Oath ceremony (8:30am) in Brooklyn - Completed! DONE WITH USCIS!

Timeline

My fiance arrives Friday! We're nervous but he's really prepared.

Oh Amy, how long does it normally take him to get through when sent to secondary? I'm so worried I'll be pacing and terrified in the airport the longer he takes to get through the gates and I'll be wondering if something went wrong.

I'm almost 100% certain he won't get sent through secondary but if he does it"ll probably depend on who else is being questioned back there at the time. If the immigration lines are long, expect it to take at least an hour for him to get through, maybe more. If you're lucky and the lines are short then less. Chris was stuck in secondary for about 20ish minutes. Most of that was just him sitting in a chair while they ran his passport through a computer. He was only actually questioned for about 3 minutes extra. I wouldnt' worry about it! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.