calliopi

In need of advice

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm hoping that someone can respond to this post since no one responded to the first :(

I'm wondering what would happen if I don't enter before my CR1 visa expires. Do I need to reapply?

In short - I'm having second thoughts about moving to the US because of a medical condition where I may not be able to drive. My husband lives in California where there is very little public transit. He has an established business so us moving to another city isn't viable.

If anyone lives in California specifically Sacramento who can shed some life on public transit or anyone who can give me some advice on reapplying for the Visa or just activating then coming back ... ?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm hoping that someone can respond to this post since no one responded to the first :(

I'm wondering what would happen if I don't enter before my CR1 visa expires. Do I need to reapply?

In short - I'm having second thoughts about moving to the US because of a medical condition where I may not be able to drive. My husband lives in California where there is very little public transit. He has an established business so us moving to another city isn't viable.

If anyone lives in California specifically Sacramento who can shed some life on public transit or anyone who can give me some advice on reapplying for the Visa or just activating then coming back ... ?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated! :)

It would seem like just activating it, going to visit your husband, and going back would be a possible option, so you wouldn't have to lose the money you invested in getting the visa in the first place. I am not a CR1, though and I am sure there are others who can answer better than me.

Timeline

Can you contact the consulate and request an extension? I am not sure if you need to provide a reason or not...

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I am not sure she wants an extension as she is not sure she will be moving at all, or that is what i am getting from the post. I would try to google that area of cal that you are moving too, or yes activate the visa and visit your husband then return back to canada however I believe you have to live in the states at some point or you will lose your status. (think it is you cannot be out of the states for a year however i could be wrong) If you do not activate it, you will have to reapply to the best of my knowledge. I wish you luck and please let us know what happens.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I am not sure she wants an extension as she is not sure she will be moving at all, or that is what i am getting from the post. I would try to google that area of cal that you are moving too, or yes activate the visa and visit your husband then return back to canada however I believe you have to live in the states at some point or you will lose your status. (think it is you cannot be out of the states for a year however i could be wrong) If you do not activate it, you will have to reapply to the best of my knowledge. I wish you luck and please let us know what happens.

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, you 're right - I'm not sure if I'll be moving there at all. I've been feeling a lot of pressure to decide very quickly (only 2 mths left before the Visa expires). We invested so much time and were apart for so long that I feel if I don't activate the Visa it will be such a waste. We were so sure that moving down to CA was where we wanted to start our life however with my health issue and me not driving we aren't so sure anymore.

Activating the Visa and returning to Canada for a few mths might be an option. Not sure if US immigration looks down upon that :unsure:

Timeline

One doesnt have to tell the POE officers everything!! and not everything is their business!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Activating the Visa and returning to Canada for a few mths might be an option. Not sure if US immigration looks down upon that :unsure:

This is pretty much what my wife did -- we were approved March 18th, got the visa the following Monday. She came down to WNY from Toronto on April 3rd, returned to Toronto April 7th, and didn't actually permanently move until May 8th. All the dates on her paperwork (visa stamp, green card, health insurance, etc) say April 3, though she was still a resident of Canada for another full month.

Pauley on Twitter

Pauley on Facebook

Wedding photos on Flickr

*** If you add me on Twitter or Facebook from here, let me know who you are so I don't ignore/block you out-of-hand 'cause I don't recognize you! :)

In your shoes I would activate the Visa on a visit, and return to get the medical condition looked after, unless it is something chronic, in that case, your husband should be looking seriously at his medical insurance and if it can cover you and your needs.

At least activating it wont mean you have to write off all that time and money and still look at your options.

Timeline

In your shoes I would activate the Visa on a visit, and return to get the medical condition looked after, unless it is something chronic, in that case, your husband should be looking seriously at his medical insurance and if it can cover you and your needs.

At least activating it wont mean you have to write off all that time and money and still look at your options.

Thanks again everyone for your replies - I already feel a bit better!

So, here are some more questions:

1. When you go for your removal of conditions interview, would they know that I didn't start living in the US until whatever date?

2. I'll be POE'ing from the Ottawa airport so, do I tell them I'm coming back to move the rest of my things and finish up loose ends or ...?

3. In terms of insurance (maybe I should start a new topic) my husband is self employed so he is purchasing insurance outright. How do you know which company to go with? I did some research and it is VERY confusing! I'm also concerned since I now have a 'pre existing condition' which means that they can deny me insurance if I understand there whole system correctly.

:blink:

Timeline

When u goto remove condtions (one can file 90 days before the expriary date on ur greencard) one has to list all the dates they were out of the USA for 24 hrs, that of course includes to Canada!

you do not have to tel them anything!! 1 has has up to 10 yrs to move their belongings. If they ask, just state your bringing it at a later date

yep insurance is a pain! My wife works for the gov't and last yr she brought home the insurance "book" and must have been an inch thick!! She made the decsion, so not much help there. But it isnt cheap!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Usually with pre-existing conditions they will be ok to cover you as long as you can show insurance up until the new effective date. You might be able to get something from your current insurance/provincial insurance to fulfill this, but its something he can ask when hes looking around at different companies. No idea's on who to look at unfortunately, My hubby is covered by Kiaser down here in socal, but its through his company.

~*~*~Steph and Wes~*~*~
Married: 2010-01-20

ROC: (for the complete timeline click on my timeline button, the signature was getting too long!)
I-751 Sent: 2015-05-22
NOA1 Notice Date: 2015-05-27
NOA1 Received: 2015-06-06
Biometrics Notice Date: 2015-06-27
Biometrics Date: 2015-07-17

Interview Notice Date: 2015-07-28

Interview Date: ​2015-09-01
Approval Date:
Approval Notice Date:

hdh1crofujrxk.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.