Marmoset

The RCMP don't really take 150 days, do they?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've visited a couple of times during the process already. There have never been any problems at all, in fact the last time the POE officer was extremely friendly and even wished me good luck with the K1.

POEO: "What's the purpose of your visit?"

Me: "i'm going to see my fiancée."

POEO: "Oho! You must be working on your K1 then?"

Me: "Yep. We're actually now waiting on the I-129f approval."

POEO: "That's great. I hope everything works out for you."

Me: "Thanks."

POEO: "Okay, you're all set. Have a good time and good luck with the K1"

Admittedly, these were only four-week long trips and not three month, but I didn't really show any evidence of ties to Canada either. The only vague evidence they saw that I was coming back was the return ticket and paucity of luggage. I did have a letter from my employer and various other things demonstrating ties, but they never asked and I didn't offer.

But as you say, yes it's always a possibility that the POE officer decides to deny entry. That's their call to make, and I'm always prepared for the chance that I'm going to have to turn around and go home. Luckily, the actual POE in Toronto is in the airport itself, if I have understood correctly.

I've always been a firm believer in the "answer whatever questions they have completely and honestly and that's about the best you can do" school of thought. They see hundreds of people a day, so you know they've seen every bit of attempted evasion or lies or whatever, and it's just not worth it.

Besides, if I do end up going between now and the interview, I'll be doing it after I get my interview appointment letter, so that'll be another thing to show them and say "See? I have to come back. This thing right here is way more important to me than anything else, and I'm not about to take a chance on screwing it up."

I never assume they're going to let me in, even before the K1 process. I figure it's someone else's country, I'm not a citizen, and it's their right as a sovereign nation to decide who gets to visit. That's not to say it wouldn't be disappointing as all hell to be refused entry, but I know it's always a possiblility.

Edited by Marmoset

Timeline

Whoops.

Following a PM question from Knobby_Wheezer, and just so people don't get misinformed if they run across this post in a search in the future, it seems that the general limit for Canadian citizens visiting the USA without a visa is 180 days. And even that can be extended with special permission (you can apply to stay longer), it seems.

Mind you, the Customs and Border Protection site also makes it very clear that it's all up to the discretion of the POE officer, and that while there is no set period of time Canadians must wait before re-entering the USA if it appears that they're spending more time in America than Canada overall it's certainly up to the traveller to provide evidence that they aren't a de-facto US resident. That's when evidence of residence, employment, and other ties definitely become necessary.

I think where I got the 90 days thing from is the Visa Waiver Program, under which citizens of certain countries (UK included, which is likely where I got confused) do not need a visa for visits of up to 90 days -- with certain restrictions, of course. Canada is not a participant in the VWP, as there are different rules governing travel between us and the USA.

And just so I don't feel like a total gimp, please don't assume that I am any sort of authority on this subject. Everything to do with this kind of thing is highly situational and individual, and if anyone takes my understanding of things as gospel and gets in trouble because of differences in situation, I'm going to feel really bad.

But yeah, I just didn't want anyone to come across this thread in a search and assume they can automatically or only stay 90 days.

Timeline

I had my prints done in feb 2005, had them back in may, so less than 150 days, but they have it posted all over the place tht it does take that long...when i asked the officer who was printing me why that long, he said it because ottawa handles it and they have to handle them for all over canada (so it doesnt matter what detachment you go to)....i had no convictions or arrests tho...but I think the turnaround time is the same regardless of that...

The long form birth certificate is the actual papers your parents filled out at the hospital when you were born, not the cute little blue wallet sied certificae thingie we are used to producing when asked for it....

I had problems with getting my papers together also because of the hold up with the prints and birth certificate, I simply called the consulae in montreal and explained and they granted me an extention.

You will have to get a new passport, I dont believe Canada issues renewals, you gotta start from scratch as if it were a new one...pain in the @$$ ...zi had the same thing happen, but it was the least of my concerns as it came in within like 6 weeks.

good luck

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

I had my prints done in feb 2005, had them back in may, so less than 150 days, but they have it posted all over the place tht it does take that long...when i asked the officer who was printing me why that long, he said it because ottawa handles it and they have to handle them for all over canada (so it doesnt matter what detachment you go to)....i had no convictions or arrests tho...but I think the turnaround time is the same regardless of that...

The long form birth certificate is the actual papers your parents filled out at the hospital when you were born, not the cute little blue wallet sied certificae thingie we are used to producing when asked for it....

I had problems with getting my papers together also because of the hold up with the prints and birth certificate, I simply called the consulae in montreal and explained and they granted me an extention.

You will have to get a new passport, I dont believe Canada issues renewals, you gotta start from scratch as if it were a new one...pain in the @$$ ...zi had the same thing happen, but it was the least of my concerns as it came in within like 6 weeks.

good luck

so you need prints done regardless of past? like i said earlier, i'm a civilian member of my local so the only time i've been printed was for them to check. should i be finding and visiting my local rcmp office? which use to be at the airport, but isn't anymore i don't think....

k

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

NO! You DON'T need prints unless you've had some kind of charges/convictions. Not sure which. Most ppl only need the quick check. Also, they only want the RCMP report. It covers the whole country no matter where you've lived. Getting it from the local or provincial coppers is pointless.

Order the LFBC and RCMP check as soon as possible so that they don't hold up the packet 3. It is unfortunate that the OP didn't know that earlier.

good luck

so you need prints done regardless of past? like i said earlier, i'm a civilian member of my local so the only time i've been printed was for them to check. should i be finding and visiting my local rcmp office? which use to be at the airport, but isn't anymore i don't think....

k

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

daisy...looking at the rcmp site, they only do checks w/ finger prints. :wacko: even doing it today i'll not get them until the end of july :( which would hope would be way after any interview.

<sigh>

guess my employer gets their wish of me staying here longer.

k

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
daisy...looking at the rcmp site, they only do checks w/ finger prints. :wacko: even doing it today i'll not get them until the end of july :( which would hope would be way after any interview.

<sigh>

k

They do both... If that was the case, why would all of us who have gone through it before be telling you this... The RCMP detachment does the name based police certificates. They also do the fingerprint police certificates, but from their central office in Ottawa...

If you have no criminal record, only the name based search police certificate from the RCMP is required. If you have a criminal record, the fingerprints based police certificate is required.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline

OK so my foreign fiance has a minor criminal record, and after reading this thread we made a few phone calls. This is after he was talked in person with the RCMP a few months of ago and them telling us that what he needed would ony take a few days. So of course now we are livid.

They informed him he needs the fingerprint police clearance, and that it would take about 90 days (or possibly sooner if we included a letter explaining the urgency). Our approval notice expires in May, so we will be including that information, and praying that they take that into consideration.

I-I29F timeline

May 24, 2005 - Finally completed I-129F paperwork. Whew!

May 25, 2005 - I-129F petition sent USPS Certified w/RR to

May 31, 2005 - I-129F recieved by BCIS

June 4, 2005 - Received NOA1 in the mail

Jan 5, 2006- Approval of 1-129F by email (NOA2-Finally! after additional security checks)

Early March: Sent in packet 3

April 12: Received Packet 4 with interview date

May 12: Interview Date in Montreal!

(we held off sending in DS-230 & Checklist so that we could get a May interview date)

May 12: Denied, need to file waiver.

Timeline

I did phone the Consulate on Tuesday to ask about the massive difference between the projected five month turnaround on the police certificate and the (at this point) three months left in the I-129f approval period, and they said they extend things pretty much automatically no problem.

I seem to remember something in the early work on the I-129f about making a second set of Letters of Intent to Marry and dating them closer to the interview and then signing them when the interview nears... I guess that's probably what is needed (or recommended) as far as making that extension happen.

90 days is better than 150, but it's still 85 more than either you or I would prefer.

Bottom line -- I keep telling myself -- is that no matter what nonsense the system throws up, we will eventually win. Because we aren't doing anything wrong or underhanded or sneaky, and it's all in the greater purpose of happiness.

Plus if hunger really is the best seasoning, I'm in for a magnificent feast at the end of all this.

Timeline

Up to you which route you go and how long you wait.

Mine took about 10 days. No problems. I went for the fast check after sound advice from people here a year ago. I'm in the US with no problems.

<sigh>

k

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

• 3 weeks later...

We have barely started our journey! I have a couple of questions for the future though.

I'm going to need the RCMP finger print clearance done (the 4-5-6 month one). My husband just mailed off the I-130 today, then we will be sending off the I-129F (k-3) petition. For this packet 3, do you think I could go in now and request my finger print check done, or do they need to see the packet 3 forms, which I won't get for quite a while? Or do they request the clearance done within a certain time period? I'm just trying to avoid a lengthy wait is all..

And, a few people have mentioned you need the full length Birth Certificate, which I don't think I have. I only have the wallet sized one. Do I need to order a full length one?

Edited by samaci

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Timeline

1. I'm not sure. In Toronto I did not have to show anything to request my name clearance but I have heard that others did have to show something.

You might want to ask in the Canada section of the Regional Discussion area of Visa Journey http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

2. Yes, you will need to order one. I'm not sure what Province you were born in, but you can Google for the info.

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
We have barely started our journey! I have a couple of questions for the future though.

I'm going to need the RCMP finger print clearance done (the 4-5-6 month one). My husband just mailed off the I-130 today, then we will be sending off the I-129F (k-3) petition. For this packet 3, do you think I could go in now and request my finger print check done, or do they need to see the packet 3 forms, which I won't get for quite a while? Or do they request the clearance done within a certain time period? I'm just trying to avoid a lengthy wait is all..

And, a few people have mentioned you need the full length Birth Certificate, which I don't think I have. I only have the wallet sized one. Do I need to order a full length one?

go to ......http://www.commissionaires.ca...I can't remember but it's either good for 6 mo. or a year after issue. Other than ID, you don't have to provide any immigration documents but do tell them why you need it. I got mine within 2 weeks but did not require fingerprints.

you will need your long birth certificate...that shows your parents info...I think there's a method you can order that online but I went to the Registrar's office and got it in about a week..some people here have waited months for it though

1. I'm not sure. In Toronto I did not have to show anything to request my name clearance but I have heard that others did have to show something.

You might want to ask in the Canada section of the Regional Discussion area of Visa Journey http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=93

2. Yes, you will need to order one. I'm not sure what Province you were born in, but you can Google for the info.

Thanks everyone for the answers, and thanks for pointing me to the Canada section, I didn't see that before..

Aug/2001: We met, started dating long distance style and lots of weekend sleepovers!!!

May 16/2004: Married, and still doing weekend sleepovers

Mar 13/2006: Sent off I-130

Mar 28/2006: Rec'vd NOA1

July 7/2006: Rec'vd NOA2

Aug 29/2006: Rec'vd IV Bill

Sep 12-2006: Pay IV Bill

Mar 30/2007: Case Completed at NVC

Jul 18/2007: Case left NVC on way to Montreal

Aug 31/2007: Rec'vd 1st interview letter (the one they DIDN'T send me, due to NVC having my address tagged as bad---this one was hubby's that I got 5 weeks late.)

Aug 9/2007 : 1st Interview Date (of course I missed it)

Sep 15/2007: Rec'vd 2nd interview letter

Sep 26/2007: Medical Appt booked

Oct 5/2007: 2nd Interview scheduled in Montreal

Oct 5/2007: Approved!!!!!!!

Oct 11/2007: Recv'd Visa in hand after hearing doorbell ring

Oct 21/2007: Activated visa

Nov 20/2007: Applied for SSN because it wasn't done for me... UGH!!!

Dec 03/2007: Received SSN in mail... YAHOO!

Apr 11/2008: GC finally arrived

Timeline

For long form birth certificate if you were born in Ontario go here:

http://www.cbs.gov.on.ca/mcbs/english/births.htm

I ordered mine on a monday and it came thursday of that week. So easy!

and thanks Canuck Carrie for the link to the Canadian section. Never seen that yet.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.