mdusa

Importing Car from Canada to USA

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Canadian VJ-ers!

Has anyone had any experience importing their car from Canada to the US?

I'll be moving soon and understand that to import my car I need to:

1. obtain a letter of compliance from the manufacturer

2. fill out form at POE for importing car

I've had a brief conversation with my dealership who informed me that I would probably have to change my speedometer and a couple of my dashboard symbols (ie. check engine). I'm beginning to consider whether this is really worth it as my car is about six years old! I've also heard California has some pretty strict emissions standards!

Could you please let me know if there's anything else that I may have to look out for! thanks in advance!

You do not have to change your dashboard. Your dealership doesn't know what they're talking about. As long as you have miles on the inner circle you're fine.

If you're really worried about it you can call the department of transportation for your state, or the federal department of transportation.

Also, change the check engine light? Seriously? Pretty sure standards are the same for when it comes on in Canada as in the US.

Something else. If when you apply for your letter of compliance the company (ford, mazda, nissan...) say you need to "change your lights" cause they're daytime running, get them to issue the letter without changing it. I had to fight with Nissan to get them to give me the letter without turning off my daytime running lights. Doesn't make sense to pay lots of money to turn off a safety feature. I didn't do it and I got my car PA plates no problem (well except they forgot to give me a form at the border, but I got that easy enough afterwards).

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, you might be okay. The importing process is pretty smooth. Where was your car manufactured?

I imported my one year old Suzuki and ran into trouble afterwards. Suzuki is not a North American made car. The VIN number is not in the American database. Every time I need service involving a part, the dealer here has to talk to a dealer in Canada to confirm that the part for the American version of the car is the same as the part for the Canadian version of the car. So repairs take longer than they should and there is always confusion especially when one side or the other changes service managers. The only difference in my case is some external trim - all mechanical parts have always been the same.

If I had known this I would have sold the car in Canada and bought another one after moving here.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband imported his 2007 Hyundai Sonata with little issues except it took a bit longer at the border but he is glad he imported while he was activating his K-1. Because his VIN number started with 5, his car is part of the "free trade agreement" and he didn't pay any taxes on importing it. Also note, he hasn't paid off his car (it still has a Canadian car loan against it) and he was still able to import it. He just got a letter from his Canadian bank saying they knew he was moving and would continue the car loan (he has 0 % interest on it and there is now way I, the U.S. citizen could get a better deal than that).

Timeline

Mathew didn't have any problems importing his car. He just got his letter of compliance and imported when he activated his visa. He didn't have to change anything on his car.

Funny thing, though. When he took his drivers test the other day(Kentucky requires you to) he said the lady had a look of terror whenever she saw how fast he was going. I guess she didn't realize that his car shows kilometers where American cars shows miles. :P I guess I would have been terrified too if someone was going 80 down a little tiny street like that.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you already have someone willing to buy your car then I'd say just sell it... if not it's probably less hassle to important than finding someone to buy it.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

thanks for all the advice and comments!

Unfortunately my car ONLY has KM's on it so I would have to get the speedometer changed. Who would have thought this would be such a huge issue! ;)

It doesn't have the miles meter under it? Mathews odometer is only in KM, but his speedometer has them both.

Naturalization

04/10/17- N-400 Filed

04/12/17- Received Phoenix, AZ Lockbox

04/13/17- Credit Card Charged

04/14/17- NOA

05/08/17- Biometrics

05/11/17- In Line

05/22/17- Interview Scheduled

06/28/17- Interview(Approved)

08/29/17 - Oath Ceremony

Oo were going to be importing two cars a Honda and a New SUV its a Ford. Do we need to bring them into US or can someone else do it. Were moving to NYC my brothers and my fiace's brother are drive the cars to us at the end of August. WIll I be able to declare before? and give the letter to them to import it? What is the process?

K1 Timeline

I-129F sent to Vermont Service Centre: 08/19/2009

NOA1 Notice Date: 09/03/2009

NOA1 Hard Copy received: 09/10/2009

NOA2 Notice Date: 11/25/2009

NVC Received : 12/01/2009

NVC Left : 12/02/2009

Consulate Received : 12/03/2009

Consulate sent packet 3: 12/09/2009

Packet 3 received by me: 12/15/2009

Packet 3 faxed to consulate: 12/16/2009

Packet 3 sent to consulate: 01/06/2010

Packet 3 received by consulate: 01/08/2010

Packet 3 logged:01/25/2010

Packet 4 Received: 02/10/2010

Medical!: 02/01/2010

Interview: 04/16/2010

POE: Aug 7th, 2010

Wedding: August 14 2010 YAY

SSN Received: September 8th, 2010

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.