shewolf

What's going on with Montreal and CR-1 Visa interviews!?!?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My CR-1 case was completed through NVC on May 11th and I have been waiting for a Montreal consulate interview date ever since.. it's been 11 weeks and still nothing. I know I'm not the only one waiting. There are people waiting since middle of May too...Seems like they are processing so many K1 visas.. even a K3 visa was accepted for expedite (case completed July 20th, interview set for August 4th)... I miss my husband and family so much.. no info from NVC.. different answers from them every time we call... waiting and waiting.. this is killing me. Never has anyone waited almost 3 months (and counting) for an interview date.. then will have to wait at least another month for the actual interview... this is horrible!! Does anyone know what's going on?? This is a CR-1 marriage visa! Don't we have priority? This is not some engagement visa.. we are married and are family... shocking. :((((

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm sorry you're so upset and frustrated. Separation is always very difficult, especially when there are children involved.

I trust you've taken a look at this thread? IR1/CR1 Montreal Timeline to Interview

If you look through the timeline, you'll see that you're definitely not the first person to wait 3 months for an interview. There have been many people who have waited well over 4 months. Don't feel like you're on an island, because you're not. Watching people get dates while they pass you by is hard, I know, but your time will come.

As far as the CR1 vs. K-1 thing, no. Marriage visas are not given a priority. I know you're speaking out of frustration but the, "this is not some engagement visa" comment was a little offensive. Fiance relationships are valid ones, and the separation effects many engaged couples the same way you described.

Timeline

I am 9 weeks now and recently called NVC, i was told at least 4 weeks more. They are sooo slow

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Timeline

I am 9 weeks now and recently called NVC, i was told at least 4 weeks more. They are sooo slow

No way.. you're actually almost at 10 weeks.. Do you think we'll get September interviews???

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think they do them in batches. It seems that they'll do a month of cr1's then a month of k1's.

While it may feel like you are waiting longer than others let me assure you that others including K1's have waited a lot longer. Our 129F was approved in September last year and we didn't have an interview until March. Meanwhile IR1/CR1's were being scheduled for January and February. Everyone has reasons to want to be bumped ahead of the line.

It is hard to wait whether you are married or waiting to get married. Let's try to support each other instead of trying to diminish other peoples relationships please.

2007-11-10 Met on an airplane on the way to Japan

2008-03-28 First actual date!

2009-03-31 Returned from Japan

K1 Timeline

2009-08-22 Filed K1

2009-09-01 NOA1

2009-09-29 NOA2

2009-10-23 Montreal Received

2009-11-08 Packet 3 Sent

2010-02-02 Packet 4 Received

2010-03-19 Interview

Interview Result :Admin Review-missing papers

2010-06-24 Visa in Hand.. FINALLY!!!

2010-06-25 US Entry

2010-07-02 MARRIED!

2010-07-13 Applied for SSN

2010-08-03 SSN received

AOS Timeline

2010-08-16 I485 sent to chicago lockbox

2010-08-24 NOA1 received

2010-09-17 Case transferred to CSC

2010-10-23 Bio appt letter received for nov 9th

2010-11-03 Biometrics appt. EAD card issued

Timeline

As far as the CR1 vs. K-1 thing, no. Marriage visas are not given a priority. I know you're speaking out of frustration but the, "this is not some engagement visa" comment was a little offensive. Fiance relationships are valid ones, and the separation effects many engaged couples the same way you described.

Agreed, my fiance and I chose this route and it's just as hard, if not harder on another aspect because not only are we stuck waiting, but both of our entire families and friends (70 or so people) are on the same waiting train too because we cannot even plan a wedding until we have an interview date. I can handle just travelling back and forth visiting, thats easy but annoying and expensive at worst. However having all our loved ones constantly asking about the wedding and trying to explain to us better ways to get a visa or set a date (which a lot people don't understand what we go through)... its tough. I'd rather the CR1 Visa and wait like you guys but because my fiance was being deployed too soon to start the process last summer, we can only do it now.

So in other words, it's hard for everyone, harder for some than others... but at the end of the day we are all going through different versions of the same thing.

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/09/2014 sent in IR-1 packet to Chicago Lockbox

07/16/2014 NOA1

07/17/2014 check cashed by USCIS

10/01/2014 found out we are expecting baby #2 June 2015!

12/15/2014 NOA2

12/30/2014 Case received by NVC

03/23/2015 Received Case and Inv # from NVC after many calls and bogus excuses.

03/24/2015 AOS payment accepted by NVC

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

05/20/2015 Packet sent to NVC via UPS, eta May 28.

06/16/2015 Baby #2 due - homebirth in Scottsdale, AZ

Timeline

I think they do them in batches. It seems that they'll do a month of cr1's then a month of k1's.

While it may feel like you are waiting longer than others let me assure you that others including K1's have waited a lot longer. Our 129F was approved in September last year and we didn't have an interview until March. Meanwhile IR1/CR1's were being scheduled for January and February. Everyone has reasons to want to be bumped ahead of the line.

It is hard to wait whether you are married or waiting to get married. Let's try to support each other instead of trying to diminish other peoples relationships please.

The CR-1/IR-1s are done during the same interview time as the K1s and all the other various types of visas. I've asked people who have gone for interviews and waited in line at 7am at the consulate and everyone said that there were people with all sorts of visas who were there for their interviews. They do interviews for CR-1s and K visas each month.. just seems like they are doing a lot of K visas and barely any CR/IR-1s.. This is especially unfair since K visas are processed (interviews done) in Vancouver as well.. I don't understand why Vancouver, the less busy consulate, cannot take on more K visa interviews so that Montreal can have a bit of a break and our CR/IR-1 cases can move faster... Montreal is also right now processing the immigration for the Haiti orphans, that's why they are so busy. I didn't mean to belittle a fiance relationship in comparison to marriage.. but there is a ladder of priority.. CR/IR-1 cases are processed first before cases having to do with immigration of a spouses underage child.. then it's the parents of a couple.. then siblings.. etc.

Timeline

Agreed, my fiance and I chose this route and it's just as hard, if not harder on another aspect because not only are we stuck waiting, but both of our entire families and friends (70 or so people) are on the same waiting train too because we cannot even plan a wedding until we have an interview date. I can handle just travelling back and forth visiting, thats easy but annoying and expensive at worst. However having all our loved ones constantly asking about the wedding and trying to explain to us better ways to get a visa or set a date (which a lot people don't understand what we go through)... its tough. I'd rather the CR1 Visa and wait like you guys but because my fiance was being deployed too soon to start the process last summer, we can only do it now.

So in other words, it's hard for everyone, harder for some than others... but at the end of the day we are all going through different versions of the same thing.

I cannot travel to the States anymore. I was told last time I do not have sufficient ties to Canada so therefore I cannot see my husband unless he comes here.. and he has his own business to run there all on his own. So visiting is not an option.. all we can do is wait.. while with a K1 visa, you can apply for what's called advance parole, and go to the States for 6 months at a time I think it is, and basically wait there with your significant other. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine did just that.

I cannot travel to the States anymore. I was told last time I do not have sufficient ties to Canada so therefore I cannot see my husband unless he comes here.. and he has his own business to run there all on his own. So visiting is not an option.. all we can do is wait.. while with a K1 visa, you can apply for what's called advance parole, and go to the States for 6 months at a time I think it is, and basically wait there with your significant other. I know this for a fact because a friend of mine did just that.

That is not true. Advance Parole is for when you enter the United States on a K1 or K3 and Adjust Status. While the petition to Adjust status is being processed the applicant is not allowed to leave the United States unless they have Advance Parole. If your friend did that, they miss informed you, or used the wrong terminology, or are in the US illegally.

On the other hand when you enter with your CR1/IR1 Visa you are automatically given Permanent residency, meaning you can come and go as you please. So there are pros and cons to each type of visa.

People with K1's pending have just as hard of a time trying to visit their fiance's as CR1/IR1's spouses. We all have to prove ties, and show the Border Official that we're applying for appropriate visas

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline

Where did you get the info about Montreal processing the cases of Haitian orphans? Are these specifically cases that have something to do with Canada as well as Haiti? Or is Montreal actually processing all the cases of Haitian orphans heading to the US? If that's the case, it does seem kind of an odd choice of consulate. I certainly want those cases processed efficiently...but, as far as we can all tell, Montreal was bogged down to begin with. It seems like it's probably one of the most bogged-down US consulates in the world. It seems to have been slow for well over a year. I don't pretend to have insight into the reasons for the problems...but, believe me: I wonder about it all the time.

From where I sit, it does seem, too, that Vancouver should maybe take on more K-1 cases...and I bet the K-1 applicants would be happier that way too. The K-1s who happen to be sent to Vancouver get through so much faster than the Montreal folks. *Maybe* there's some reason why Montreal just seems to have to do so much more than it seems really capable of handling efficiently, but it's hard to understand from where we sit.

I do feel like we maybe deserve a *bit* more transparency on these points!

Anyway, I understand your frustration; I have almost the same "case complete" date as you...At this point, though, I'm hoping for a late Oct. date, since I'll just be too pregnant in Sept. to fly to Mtl. I've had to accept that my husband and I will not be living together when the baby comes :(

C.

The CR-1/IR-1s are done during the same interview time as the K1s and all the other various types of visas. I've asked people who have gone for interviews and waited in line at 7am at the consulate and everyone said that there were people with all sorts of visas who were there for their interviews. They do interviews for CR-1s and K visas each month.. just seems like they are doing a lot of K visas and barely any CR/IR-1s.. This is especially unfair since K visas are processed (interviews done) in Vancouver as well.. I don't understand why Vancouver, the less busy consulate, cannot take on more K visa interviews so that Montreal can have a bit of a break and our CR/IR-1 cases can move faster... Montreal is also right now processing the immigration for the Haiti orphans, that's why they are so busy. I didn't mean to belittle a fiance relationship in comparison to marriage.. but there is a ladder of priority.. CR/IR-1 cases are processed first before cases having to do with immigration of a spouses underage child.. then it's the parents of a couple.. then siblings.. etc.

Timeline

That is not true. Advance Parole is for when you enter the United States on a K1 or K3 and Adjust Status. While the petition to Adjust status is being processed the applicant is not allowed to leave the United States unless they have Advance Parole. If your friend did that, they miss informed you, or used the wrong terminology, or are in the US illegally.

On the other hand when you enter with your CR1/IR1 Visa you are automatically given Permanent residency, meaning you can come and go as you please. So there are pros and cons to each type of visa.

People with K1's pending have just as hard of a time trying to visit their fiance's as CR1/IR1's spouses. We all have to prove ties, and show the Border Official that we're applying for appropriate visas

Ya I am not even worrying about AP yet! It'll be a rough few months once I get there and cannot leave, it'll likely be over Christmas too. Thats another pain with these Visa's... I just want to get there first and then worry about the next step. One at a time!

See profile for our K-1 Visa/AOS story from 2010-2011Apparently we love USCIS/NVC so much we left and are doing it again! This time giving IR-1 a whirl. Rock on immigrators.

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

04/09/2015 IV payment finally accepted by NVC after the set the wrong fee and took weeks to correct it.

*many more delays thanks to the agency processing my fingers prints to the RCMP and the post office losing our mail*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You have it backwards. A fiance has their interview and if approved gets their visa. Crosses in the US and gets married within 90 days and then applies for AOS and advance parole. During this time they cannot leave the US. Advance parole when finally approved lets them leave the US to visit another country, it does not guarantee them entry INTO the US to live with their fiances for 6 months. Fiances can and sometimes do get denied crossing the border to visit, like you, during the time they are in Canada waiting for their approval or interview. Any Canadian can visit the US for 6 months at a time unless the border guard says different and if your friend said "I'm going to go live with my fiance for 6 months while we wait for it to be approved" I doubt they would have been let in either.

I too kind of take offence at the 'just a fiance'. My now husband and I lived common law together in Canada for many years before he went back to the states and applied for fiance visa. We then got to spend almost a year apart while we waited for it to be processed and for me to get an interview. We applied April 30th, 2009 and I came to the states April 13, 2010. You don't know the specifics of each person's particular case so dumping them all in one group is a bit unfair. We're probably been a couple longer then a lot of the ones applying for CR-1's. lol

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Timeline

At the same time however it is not 'illegal' to visit the US while you wait the process out. Most couples are able do this. Like you, I have zero ties to Canada but am still travelling regularly. Unless they had some sort of proof against you visiting or have some concerns about you specifically (no need to mention)... but I would try again if it's a near by land border. I did not know they were allowed to ban people until the Visa was approved, doesn't seem right but I don't know all the rules. But my point was, waiting is waiting for everyone. Unfortunately, like your case, some of us also have additional circumstances which makes it difficult. It was a simple point that we all have it tough for a little while. Best of luck!

07/16/2014 NOA1

12/15/2014 NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your information is incorrect. I don't know what you friend told you or did but she is not a K-1 applicant still waiting for her K-1 visa and using an AP to visit the US for 6 months. That is not what an Advance Parole does - it is for 'leaving' the US and being allowed to return - not for 'entering' the US. A K-1 applicant cannot file for Advance Parole and go to the US for 6 months at a time. Only someone who is already living in the US , who has already entered on a valid visa and has applied to adjust status to become a permanent resident (eg. get a green card) is eligible for an Advance Parole and can apply for and receive an AP.

A K-1 visa applicant must wait outside of the US the same as a CR-1 applicant, and has just as much opportunity or likelihood as a CR-1 to visit during the process. While a Canadian is allowed to visit for up to 6 months at a time, each individual must be able to show proof of ties to Canada when they apply to enter - K-1s as well as CR-1s. Neither get a 'preference'. Neither is allowed to 'live' in the US and few are able to 'visit' for 6 months as they have responsibilities to fulfill back home. Both must process their visas through the Consulates. Complaining that the only Consulate that does immigrant visas should stop doing K-1 non-immigrant visas because there is another Consulate several thousand miles away that also does them sounds very petty.

I can appreciate your frustration but you are making some very derogatory comments about other applicants and are definitely coming across sounding like you believe you deserve preferential treatment because you are married rather than 'just engaged'. It was your choice to get married and your choice to pursue a CR-1 visa. You have the advantage over K-1s who end up waiting just as long as you do for their processing to be complete in that once you get to the US you will already have a green card and will be allowed to work and to travel. K-1s will not have that option until after they are married and file to adjust their status - and then receive permission to work and permission to travel - often a matter of another few months.

While you were denied entry to the US you do have some options. You can establish stronger ties to Canada by getting a job or taking a month to month apartment lease. It is your choice whether you decide to pursue that option or just complain that you are not allowed across the border because you have insufficient ties. I can appreciate that your husband is busy but he also has a choice of priorities - he could travel to visit you on a weekend as well, finding the least inconvenient time for his business to do so. Many Canadian American couples work and have to figure out their visiting priorities - some are able to visit and some are not - but the option is always there.

You are not in this alone but you may find yourself at odds with those who do understand what you are going through and who can help you through the process if you continue to belittle their relationships and sound like you are the only one that matters.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ya I am not even worrying about AP yet! It'll be a rough few months once I get there and cannot leave, it'll likely be over Christmas too. Thats another pain with these Visa's... I just want to get there first and then worry about the next step. One at a time!

Waiting for AP does suck! LOL Not near as bad as it was waiting for your NOA2 or an interview though. So it gets easier. The worse part is getting bored because you can't work. I've never baked and cooked so much in my life. Its starting to look like Martha's kitchen in here. *help me* lol

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.