Chickaflick

Wrong Consulate

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

** I was told to post this here as well **

OK So after a month hanging around the NVC, I have just heard that our case was transferred to Montreal instead of Vancouver. I live in Alberta, the province next to BC where Vancouver is. I double checked our forms and we indicated we wanted things sent to Vancouver. I've never been to Montreal, and I'm travelling with my child, and we have family to stay with in Vancouver who could help me get around and figure this stuff out. How much trouble is it to get it transferred to Vancouver? Someone else told me they tried this but their case ended up getting lost in the transfer.

I'm not impressed. Surely there is an easy solution to this and not acres of red tape to run through... ?

[img]http://davf.daisypath.com/bOLvm4.png[/img]

31.03.2010- I129F Filed (K1/K2)
02.09.2010- Interview - VAN - [color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
18.09.2010- POE Edmonton-Atlanta
01.10.2010- Civil Wedding in GA! <3
04.29.2011- AOS Filed (K1/K2)
09.19.2011- EAD Approved
10.24.2011- AOS - ATL Interview -[color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
11.02.2011- Green Cards for us!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Has happened to others! I believe they sent an email to Montreal--case # in subject line---and case was transferred to Vancouver.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Lot of people at the consulate were from out that way, did Vancouver stop doing them and route everyone to MTL?

<3 FireRay's Wifey. <3

11-??-2005 : Met Ray in EverQuest2

USCIS
12-26-2009 : Marriage
1-07-2010 : Filed I-130
1-08-2010 : Package Recieved
1-12-2010 : NOA1
3-12-2010 : NOA2
*I-130 was approved in 59 days from NOA1 date.*

NVC
3-19-2010 : NVC Recieved. Case # Assigned
3-22-2010 : E-Mails Given to NVC Operator
3-25-2010 : Received DS-3032 and AOS Bill
3-25-2010 : Applied for EP/DS-3032 e-mailed
3-25-2010 : Pay AOS Bill Online
4-04-2010 : E-mailed I-864
4-08-2010 : EP Accepted/Paid IV Bill
4-12-2010 : E-mailed DS-230
4-16-2010 : All documents accepted at NVC
4-22-2010 : Log in Fail!!
*NVC stage completed in 34 days.*

7-21-2010 : Medical in Toronto
7-26-2010 : INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
7-28-2010 : Visa received in the mail
8-18-2010 : POE - Ambassador Bridge
9-23-2010 : 2yr Green Card arrived
2-11-2011 : SSN arrived
8-18-2012 : Approx date of removal of conditions

06-2012 : Removal of conditions sent

03-18-12 : 10 year Green Card received!!

Timeline

All cr-1/ir-1 goto Montreal (im sure you knew that) But I imagine if you did not know about VJ, you may not even know which consulate one was to goto! They would just accept it and wait and wait and wait,lol

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Montreal is the only one that does the IR1/CR1 visas. Not sure what other consulates process the K1's other than Vancouver and Montreal.

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Timeline

Montreal is the only one that does the IR1/CR1 visas. Not sure what other consulates process the K1's other than Vancouver and Montreal.

no others in Canada!

Timeline

I would send an email to Montreal and have it transferred to Vancouver. It wasnt that long ago that we all of us K-1s were wishing we could do that as Vancouver is way faster then Montreal. I'm sure that someone's transfer has gotten lost but I'm sure thats the exception not the rule. They can lose anything at any point so travelling to Montreal and going out of your way doesn't guarantee anything. Let us know how it goes...I'm sure it'll take them a bit to respond to your email (it always does) but it should go smoothly and you'll get a faster interview. Good luck!

K-1 Journey

04/30/2009 - I-129F sent to VSC

03/30/2010 - Interview @ MTL APPROVED!

04/13/2010 - POE @ Pearson International

05/23/2010 - WEDDING

AOS Journey

07/20/2010 - AOS/AP/EAD Sent

07/21/2010 - package received at Chicago

07/28/2010 - check cashed

07/30/2010 - received NOA1 in mail

08/01/2010 - received biometrics letter

08/20/2010 - walk in biometrics completed

08/23/2010 - finally entered into USCIS online -AP's touched on Aug11 and EAD and AOS touched on Aug20 08/30/2010 - AOS/EAD touched

09/09/2010 - AP approved (email notice)

09/13/2010 - Received email that EAD was approved on Sept 10

10/04/2010 - Received interview letter in Mail

11/09/2010 - Interview-APPROVED! 112 days

11/09/2010 - Card Production 11/22/2010 - Green Card received

ROC Journey

08/11/2012 - Eligible to file for ROC10/11/2012 - sent in I-751 (late)10/16/2012 - received NOA 11/20/2012 - biometrics

Timeline

OK I learned something interesting yesterday from the guys at the Vancouver consulate. I emailed them and Montreal about moving my case and the Montreal people i still have not heard back from, but the Vancouver ones emailed me back within 2 hours to tell me that all K1's that are in their jurisdiction (BC, AB, SK, NWT, Yukon) are sent to Vancouver automatically if they arrive at Montreal. Regardless they told me to email Montreal (which I already had) and to just see where things are with them.

So thats just an info share, so anyone else that has this happen to them knows not to panic!

[img]http://davf.daisypath.com/bOLvm4.png[/img]

31.03.2010- I129F Filed (K1/K2)
02.09.2010- Interview - VAN - [color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
18.09.2010- POE Edmonton-Atlanta
01.10.2010- Civil Wedding in GA! <3
04.29.2011- AOS Filed (K1/K2)
09.19.2011- EAD Approved
10.24.2011- AOS - ATL Interview -[color="#8B0000"][b]APPROVED!![/b][/color]
11.02.2011- Green Cards for us!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

OK I learned something interesting yesterday from the guys at the Vancouver consulate. I emailed them and Montreal about moving my case and the Montreal people i still have not heard back from, but the Vancouver ones emailed me back within 2 hours to tell me that all K1's that are in their jurisdiction (BC, AB, SK, NWT, Yukon) are sent to Vancouver automatically if they arrive at Montreal. Regardless they told me to email Montreal (which I already had) and to just see where things are with them.

So thats just an info share, so anyone else that has this happen to them knows not to panic!

Manitoba is in Vancouver's jurisdiction too. I hope they haven't forgotten about us! :)

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

I have to admit..that was one of the things I loved about the Vancouver consulate. They do respond quickly. I hope your files arrive there soon. They'll send out your checklist right away too, then you can get all your things together. Don't forget, you don't have to have your medical before sending that checklist back. You can do it the day before, the day of, or the day after your interview, depending on how long you can stay in Vancouver! Check on Woking clinic's website..(can't remember it exactly right now) but you can also see what kind of immunizations you need for your age. Make sure your birth certificate is in long form, (both parents names on it) and gather all your evidence together, (minus the affidavit of support, because you'll want that to be as current as possible) I also had file folders with me to keep everything separate so that when she asked me questions, I knew exactly what file to turn too.

I'm very sure that one of the reasons I was approved is because I was prepared and organized (thanks to this site)and even though I was as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, I acted as though I wasn't. Kinda like crossing the border. Keeping answers short and sweet, but not giving too much information.

How exciting! Looking forward to reading all about the rest of this journey for you! :)

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.