belluco86

Packet 4 Help with Documents

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello guys, it's me one more time. I am being very careful with the paperwork that I have to fill out and I have some questions and would like as many answers from as many people who have experience.

1st. My fiancee has her birth certificate (long form) that's the only one she has from birth. Does the consulate keep the birth certificate, or should we get another copy? As you all know getting this item can be a pain in the neck...

2nd. In the packet 4 it asks for the hand written form of birth certificate. When my fiancee was born they started typing them not handwriting them, so I guess my won't be hand written. Has someone gone through the same. Did they say anything?

3rd. Does the birth certificate need to be translated?

4th. Does anyone know certified places in Quito where they translate the documents requested by immigration? (police record)cheaper?

5th. I heard that the birth certificate needs to be stamped by the department of foreign affairs in Ecuador. Is this true or just by taking the one they give you at registro civil?

This is my starter questions.

Thanks guys for everything.

2010-05-15 I-129F Application sent to CSC

2010-05-17 I-129F Application received by VSC

2010-05-19 I-129F Application Forwarded to Dallas Lockbox

2010-05-25 Check cashed

2010-05-25 NOA1 Receipt

2010-07-07 NOA2 Received email that our I-129F application was approved

2010-07-14 NOA2 hard copy received, Petition sent to NVC

2010-07-12 NVC sent Petition sent to embassy

2010-07-15 Called NVC and got case number

2010-07-14 Petition received at Ecuador Embassy

2010-XX-XX Packet 4 letter of instructions from the Ecuadorian Embassy

2010-07-30 Medical appointment scheduled

2010-08-10 Passed medical

2010-09-13 Appointment for visa at Guayaquil Consulate

2011-01-04 Travel to the United States and get married

2011-01-16 Got Married

2011-03-19 Submitted AOS application

2011-04-05 Received RFE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I had my interview last week in Frankfurt, Germany. They didn't keep my original birth certificate, but were happy with the copy. The only original they required was the police certificate and the forms of course.

Just take both with you. I gave them both, and they returned the original at the end.

I don't know, however, if this is the same for Ecuador.

K1 Timeline

Jan 2005: we first met and started dating

03/11/2010: I-129F sent

04/29/2010: touched and NOA2

05/17/2010: Consulate Frankfurt

05/19/2010: Package 3 received

07/02/2010: Packet 4 received

07/07/2010: Medical Exam in Munich

07/21/2010: Visa interview in Frankfurt - APPROVED

11/28/2010: POE

12/27/2010: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hello guys, it's me one more time. I am being very careful with the paperwork that I have to fill out and I have some questions and would like as many answers from as many people who have experience.

1st. My fiancee has her birth certificate (long form) that's the only one she has from birth. Does the consulate keep the birth certificate, or should we get another copy? As you all know getting this item can be a pain in the neck...

2nd. In the packet 4 it asks for the hand written form of birth certificate. When my fiancee was born they started typing them not handwriting them, so I guess my won't be hand written. Has someone gone through the same. Did they say anything?

3rd. Does the birth certificate need to be translated?

4th. Does anyone know certified places in Quito where they translate the documents requested by immigration? (police record)cheaper?

5th. I heard that the birth certificate needs to be stamped by the department of foreign affairs in Ecuador. Is this true or just by taking the one they give you at registro civil?

This is my starter questions.

Thanks guys for everything.

Hello. we didn't go through the K-1 process so I won't be much help in that regard.

I would suggest that your fiance get multiple copies of whatever document she has now or might need in for her future in the US (college transcripts, medical records, etc). It's so much easier to do that sort of running around (though always a hassle no matter what part of Ecuador you find yourself in) while she's still in the country.

Now on to your questions. Whatever documents that she's presenting to the Consulate I would presume do NOT need to be translated. (Our docs had to be because they had to be cleared by NVC first with the CR-1, but I believe with the K-1 you aren't sending any docs to NVC.) And I'm not sure what you mean by "certified places in Quito" to translate documents.

There are two kinds of birth certificates that one can get in Ecuador. One is pulled from centralized computer records and if I remember cost $1 at the Registro Civil. There was hardly any info on this form. I don't have it nearby or I'd let you know what it covers. This version is NOT acceptable for your immigration needs. We had to get a certified copy of my husband's birth certificate from the book of births that was kept at the Registro Civil where his birth was registered. In this pueblito the birth certificate was in long hand (cursive). I could only get a copy of this birth certificate in this specific town because that is where the official record (the book of births for that canton was kept). I remember getting two certified copies and I'm sure that each one cost less than $10. The key here is there are sworn signatures (one of parent and one of a rep in the Registro Civil) and the record number from the book on the form. There are no such signatures on the super-simplified computer record that I also got while gathering papers for this process. I'm not sure about what the birth certificate your fiance has so it's hard to say if what she has is sufficient. If you do end up having to go get a different copy I surely hope you won't have to wait in the HORRENDOUS lines in the Registro Civil in South Quito. We spent many many hours there changing info on his cedula (to include my name as spouse).

I'm sure some other K-1 folks and perhaps even some who've gone through Guayaquil can better answer your questions that are specific to the K-1.

Suerte

Time Line

2007-11-10.....Marriage in Ecuador

2008-01-11.....I-130 Sent

2008-04-28.....I-130 Approved

2008-05-02.....NVC Received

2008-08-20.....Case Complete at NVC

2008-10-14.....Interview--221g, asked to present joint sponsor inspite of NVC approval

2008-11-07.....Visa due to arrive. DHL truck delivering visa was robbed, Consulate required us to present I-864s and DS-230 again, had to get a new passport and other related documents

2008-11-14.....Presented all new documents in person at Consulate, visa printed same day

2008-11-25.....POE Atlanta

2008-12-26.....Green Card and 2nd Welcome Letter arrive

2010-09-02.....Date of NOA ROC 1-751

2010-12-13.....Approval of ROC

2011-01-12.....10 year Permanent Resident card arrived

2011-12-20.....N-400 Application mailed

2011-12-29.....NOA

2012-02-02.....Walk-in biometrics (appt was for 2/16)

2012-04-17.....Interview

2012-05-18.....Naturalization Ceremony

Timeline

Hello. we didn't go through the K-1 process so I won't be much help in that regard.

I would suggest that your fiance get multiple copies of whatever document she has now or might need in for her future in the US (college transcripts, medical records, etc). It's so much easier to do that sort of running around (though always a hassle no matter what part of Ecuador you find yourself in) while she's still in the country.

Now on to your questions. Whatever documents that she's presenting to the Consulate I would presume do NOT need to be translated. (Our docs had to be because they had to be cleared by NVC first with the CR-1, but I believe with the K-1 you aren't sending any docs to NVC.) And I'm not sure what you mean by "certified places in Quito" to translate documents.

There are two kinds of birth certificates that one can get in Ecuador. One is pulled from centralized computer records and if I remember cost $1 at the Registro Civil. There was hardly any info on this form. I don't have it nearby or I'd let you know what it covers. This version is NOT acceptable for your immigration needs. We had to get a certified copy of my husband's birth certificate from the book of births that was kept at the Registro Civil where his birth was registered. In this pueblito the birth certificate was in long hand (cursive). I could only get a copy of this birth certificate in this specific town because that is where the official record (the book of births for that canton was kept). I remember getting two certified copies and I'm sure that each one cost less than $10. The key here is there are sworn signatures (one of parent and one of a rep in the Registro Civil) and the record number from the book on the form. There are no such signatures on the super-simplified computer record that I also got while gathering papers for this process. I'm not sure about what the birth certificate your fiance has so it's hard to say if what she has is sufficient. If you do end up having to go get a different copy I surely hope you won't have to wait in the HORRENDOUS lines in the Registro Civil in South Quito. We spent many many hours there changing info on his cedula (to include my name as spouse).

I'm sure some other K-1 folks and perhaps even some who've gone through Guayaquil can better answer your questions that are specific to the K-1.

Suerte

Thanks for the Info

2010-05-15 I-129F Application sent to CSC

2010-05-17 I-129F Application received by VSC

2010-05-19 I-129F Application Forwarded to Dallas Lockbox

2010-05-25 Check cashed

2010-05-25 NOA1 Receipt

2010-07-07 NOA2 Received email that our I-129F application was approved

2010-07-14 NOA2 hard copy received, Petition sent to NVC

2010-07-12 NVC sent Petition sent to embassy

2010-07-15 Called NVC and got case number

2010-07-14 Petition received at Ecuador Embassy

2010-XX-XX Packet 4 letter of instructions from the Ecuadorian Embassy

2010-07-30 Medical appointment scheduled

2010-08-10 Passed medical

2010-09-13 Appointment for visa at Guayaquil Consulate

2011-01-04 Travel to the United States and get married

2011-01-16 Got Married

2011-03-19 Submitted AOS application

2011-04-05 Received RFE

Timeline

Dislaimer: I haven't had my interview yet but I have been very fastidious reading the other posts from Ecuadorians since I will need to do it once we are approved. This information is what I read on visajourney, not my own experience.

1. You should definitely get at least 2 'copies' of the original birth certificate at the registro civil. Do not use the one she got at birth. (I'm not sure if that is absolutely necessary but if it were me, I wouldn't want to use the one given to me at birth. My fiance doesn't have one anymore so we have to go to the registro civil anyways...)

2. I'm not sure yet about the hand-written part- I think it can be typed but it must have an original (not copied or printed) signature from the person at the registro civil. (someone else mentioned something about a parent signing it? I didn't know about that, is it true?)

3. You will NOT need the birth certificate to be translated for your appointment at the embassy but you will need a translated copy once you are in the US and completing all of the paperwork to make her a citizen. (You may also need an original during this process which is why you should get more than one copy at the beginning- Not sure about this but better safe than sorry :-P)

4. You do not need your translations to be certified (beyond what is stated below). If you are fluent in both languages you can translate the documents yourself. You are required to put your signiture saying you are fluent and that the translation is correct. The structure for that I found on visajourney and it looks like this:

I [typed name] , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and [spanish]

languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the

document attached entitled [title of document] .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

The link to that information is: http://www.visajourney.com/content/translations

Obviously, if you are not fluent, whoever translates your documents must sign them like this.

5. I don't know about the department of foreign affairs but I think I read that the registro civil is sufficient.

I hope this was helpful, and please let us know how your appointment and everything goes. Those of us who are just beginning this process in Ecuador would like as much information as possible! :-) Good Luck!

I-129F package sent: Jul 7th 2010

Package received at CSC: Jul 9th 2010

NOA1: Jul 16th 2010

NOA2: Nov 30th 2010

Packet 4 letter received: Dec 27th 2010

Medical done: Jan 3rd 2011

Interview: Jan 24th 2011 - APPROVED!!

Passport with K-1 visa received: Jan 29th 2011

POE: Feb 2nd 2011 in Houston, TX - cleared without problems :-)

Married!: May 2nd 2011

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.