Lematin

N-400 Interview decision cannot be made

37 posts in this topic

I had my naturalization interview yesterday at Chicago's office, my application is based on 5 years. I was called to the interview about 50 minutes passed my appointment. Everything went very smooth and I passed the test. At the end the IO gave N-652 with checked box, You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government an he checked B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application. When i asked IO why is that, he said that my file is incomplete and he needs to review the missing part. I asked if I need to submit anything, he said no, the missing part was not sent with my file. I just wonder what do do now. Do i have to just wait? Did any one have similar case? Thank you

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my naturalization interview yesterday at Chicago's office, my application is based on 5 years. I was called to the interview about 50 minutes passed my appointment. Everything went very smooth and I passed the test. At the end the IO gave N-652 with checked box, You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government an he checked B) A decision cannot yet be made about your application. When i asked IO why is that, he said that my file is incomplete and he needs to review the missing part. I asked if I need to submit anything, he said no, the missing part was not sent with my file. I just wonder what do do now. Do i have to just wait? Did any one have similar case? Thank you

Hi and welcome to VJ!

I think they just don't want the process to be very smooth for everyone... many people got the same response but you should be fine... you will soon hear from them (probably receive an passing letter) or just the oath ceremony notice.

They do these things to screw around with applicants....

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

My mother went thru this about 3 years ago during her interview. We both had our interviews on the same day and I was approved instantly but they told her exactly the same thing that something was missing from her file. Three months later they sent her a letter saying she would have to wait another 90 days due to incomplete information on her file. At the end of the second 3 month period she was still pending so she contacted her congresswoman and they started pushing until she was finally sent a oath ceremony date. It turned out there was something missing from her FBI background check and the FBI took forever to deliver it to the USCIS. It took her over 10 months after her interview to get the approval due to this delay by the FBI. There was nothing she could do but ask her congresional representative for assistance.

• 1 month later...

My mom is in the same boat. She had her interview at the Chicago DO August 23, 2010. She passed all the tests, english and civics. Box B on N652 was also checked saying "a decision cannot yet be made". My mom was told that they would research on her previous B2 visa prior to her permanent residency, and she will be notified in the mail of the decision on her naturalization. Mom was told though that for the IO, she should be fine but she's required to run the documents to her supervisor. She was also told by the adjudicator to call her or write her a letter if 90 days have passed and still no decision.

Lematin, please do update once you hear from the Chicago DO, I will do the same.

Edited by jay2

My mom is in the same boat. She had her interview at the Chicago DO August 23, 2010. She passed all the tests, english and civics. Box B on N652 was also checked saying "a decision cannot yet be made". My mom was told that they would research on her previous B2 visa prior to her permanent residency, and she will be notified in the mail of the decision on her naturalization. Mom was told though that for the IO, she should be fine but she's required to run the documents to her supervisor. She was also told by the adjudicator to call her or write her a letter if 90 days have passed and still no decision.

Lematin, please do update once you hear from the Chicago DO, I will do the same.

I still have not heard anything yet. I have been told it will take from 1 to 3 months. It all depends on how fast they get the missing file. I guess some of us have 2 A# files and the adjudicator need to have them all before making a decision. Good luck to your mom and I will let you know if I have any updates.

hey! count me in lol. had my interview last aug 5. and the IO said got good news and bad news... the good news was that i pass the test etc. but the bad news was that i have a pending case (or an I-797 associated in my name). he mentioned it could be about my GC or something since i had a gc replacement back in jan (got it last june). i asked him how long will it take then for him to approve me and he said as soon as that file would be on his desk coz he already requested for that file to be delivered to him :( ... could take at 2 months or so... oh well. im devastated about it but what can i do... wait and wait. good luck to us!

Citizenship N-400

4/15/2010- sent my N-400 via fedex overnight

4/16/2010- signed and delivered

4/29/2010- check cleared

I still have not heard anything yet. I have been told it will take from 1 to 3 months. It all depends on how fast they get the missing file. I guess some of us have 2 A# files and the adjudicator need to have them all before making a decision. Good luck to your mom and I will let you know if I have any updates.

I am afraid it will take longer than 3 months, these A# files and other nonsense issues should have been cleared up prior to the interview, they always mess up and we are the ones in jeopardy for the mistake they make. Ridiculous.

Last Saturday, I sent a lettter to the IO that interviewed my mom and demand a faster determination on her case. I hope that the officer will at least take her time to read the correspondence. I know for a fact, by law, citizenship adjudicator has 120 days to conclude and decide on the case, but waiting 4 mos for something they could do in less time should be on the table for consideration so to lessen the burden on not only the applicants, but also reducing the backlog and delays on CIS applications.

I also sent in a letter to our Congresswoman requesting assistance to intervene in the early resolution on my mom's case. Midterm election is coming up! I am sure somebody somewhere will follow up.

Good luck to you as well! I anticipate a quick response on your application.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Wonder if their is just one nasty IO at that Chicago office, many have reported good results. Wifes' friend that lived in Illinois side of St. Louis was assigned to the Chicago office, was told the same thing. While she was always six months ahead of us, she got her certificate nine months after my wife did. In other words, she got her certificate 15 months after her interview.

Her senator was Obama, neither he nor his staff was no where around to help her, they were too busy running for president. And she didn't want to take the USCIS to court after that 120 day limit. She tried a couple of infopass appointments, but go nowhere, very expensive for her, had to take a train and pay those huge rates at downtown Chicago hotels. But her oath letter finally came in.

Got me to wondering about the location of these field offices and consulates, we had to hit downtown Chicago for the consulates, one big fat no parking zone and they rob you blind and wreck your vehicle at those vacant lot places. Having that office at O'Hare would be so much better I would think. Milwaukee is not quite so bad, on the outskirts of downtown and can normally find free parking 2-3 blocks away. St. Paul was nice, only a couple of blocks off the interstate with a huge parking lot.

Think if I had to report to a downtown office everyday would be a basterd too. Matter of fact, I was for a brief time spending 6-8 hours a day in Chicago traffic, said there has to be a better way. But was my fault for wanting a home with a small patch of green grass on it and a tree. Have lots of trees now.

Wonder if their is just one nasty IO at that Chicago office, many have reported good results. Wifes' friend that lived in Illinois side of St. Louis was assigned to the Chicago office, was told the same thing. While she was always six months ahead of us, she got her certificate nine months after my wife did. In other words, she got her certificate 15 months after her interview.

Her senator was Obama, neither he nor his staff was no where around to help her, they were too busy running for president. And she didn't want to take the USCIS to court after that 120 day limit. She tried a couple of infopass appointments, but go nowhere, very expensive for her, had to take a train and pay those huge rates at downtown Chicago hotels. But her oath letter finally came in.

Got me to wondering about the location of these field offices and consulates, we had to hit downtown Chicago for the consulates, one big fat no parking zone and they rob you blind and wreck your vehicle at those vacant lot places. Having that office at O'Hare would be so much better I would think. Milwaukee is not quite so bad, on the outskirts of downtown and can normally find free parking 2-3 blocks away. St. Paul was nice, only a couple of blocks off the interstate with a huge parking lot.

Think if I had to report to a downtown office everyday would be a basterd too. Matter of fact, I was for a brief time spending 6-8 hours a day in Chicago traffic, said there has to be a better way. But was my fault for wanting a home with a small patch of green grass on it and a tree. Have lots of trees now.

When I needed help with government agencies in the past, I have always contacted our other Senator, Richard Durbin (D). His staff were the best ever! They sent me email updates, mail copy of the USCIS responses, even calling me on the phone if there's anything urgent. When one of our applications was denied, we had to file a motion to reconsider the decision. The office also followed up on the decision, so instead of reconsidering our request, USCIS in its motion, reopened our cases entirely, then USCIS requested for another interview and another set of fingerprints/biometrics. We went for another biometrics, then after a couple of weeks, we received approval on our applications without having to go for another interview. Senator Durbin's congressional liaison was even the person that called me on the phone to tell me that, and she sent me a copy of the email from the USCIS. They were very helpful.

This time though, with my mom's natz case, I thought I give it a try to contact our congresswoman instead this year because of the midterm elections, I hoped that theyll be even more responsive, we will see. I am actually preparing to write another request to Senator Durbin's office today I should be done with it shortly. So, I already wrote a letter to the Officer that interviewed my mom, then sent in a letter for assistance to our congresswoman. I really cannot wait until I receive decision on my mom's natz app, 120 days is too long, lol.

To be fair, the citizenship adjudicator that interviewed my mom was very nice to her, always smiling, and polite. But I guess, it's not about her, its the process that I couldnt really stand. Anyways, we will see how this will go....

Chicago DO is a very busy office of USCIS, can barely get a parking space in the city either. But there's a lot of private parking space where you would have to pay at least 25 bucks for about 2 hours. Yes, traffic gets really bad, especially during winter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

When I needed help with government agencies in the past, I have always contacted our other Senator, Richard Durbin (D). His staff were the best ever! They sent me email updates, mail copy of the USCIS responses, even calling me on the phone if there's anything urgent. When one of our applications was denied, we had to file a motion to reconsider the decision. The office also followed up on the decision, so instead of reconsidering our request, USCIS in its motion, reopened our cases entirely, then USCIS requested for another interview and another set of fingerprints/biometrics. We went for another biometrics, then after a couple of weeks, we received approval on our applications without having to go for another interview. Senator Durbin's congressional liaison was even the person that called me on the phone to tell me that, and she sent me a copy of the email from the USCIS. They were very helpful.

This time though, with my mom's natz case, I thought I give it a try to contact our congresswoman instead this year because of the midterm elections, I hoped that theyll be even more responsive, we will see. I am actually preparing to write another request to Senator Durbin's office today I should be done with it shortly. So, I already wrote a letter to the Officer that interviewed my mom, then sent in a letter for assistance to our congresswoman. I really cannot wait until I receive decision on my mom's natz app, 120 days is too long, lol.

To be fair, the citizenship adjudicator that interviewed my mom was very nice to her, always smiling, and polite. But I guess, it's not about her, its the process that I couldnt really stand. Anyways, we will see how this will go....

Chicago DO is a very busy office of USCIS, can barely get a parking space in the city either. But there's a lot of private parking space where you would have to pay at least 25 bucks for about 2 hours. Yes, traffic gets really bad, especially during winter.

By accident, learned you can park all day in the basement of the Sears Tower at a reasonable rate. We still have to go to Chicago for my wifes' consulate due to the place of birth thing. But will drive to Antioch and take the train now. They make thousands of cars wait for the train to pass. Our Senator Feingold also has a good staff and helped us, even with a letter of apology from the St. Paul's field office manager and a quick oath letter e-mailed to us. Our only problem during my wifes' interview and oath unknown time is that her application was "misplaced". But try and learn this by contacting the USCIS yourself.

Also learned final approval was done at the field office, by a supervisor, got me to wondering exactly who is being evaluated, the applicant or to check if the IO followed all the procedures correctly.

Also while waiting outside for my wifes' oath, a woman started talking to me. She said she worked in the filing section, and was a madhouse to dig out all those applications for the really large oath ceremonies, typically in St. Paul like 3,500! We know from experience, wifes' application was 3 1/2 inches thick! Just commented, wouldn't it be easier to have a same day oath ceremony so you can get it over with? She agreed, but not the policy at that field office.

Now 3,500 such application would be a stack of papers almost about a 1/4 mile high that got me to wonder, what do they do with these applications after the oath ceremony. They sure cannot store them. Maybe they pitch them that could be the reason they tell you to make a copy of your certificate in case you lose it. That may be just the only record of your citizenship. To make this clear, I just do not know.

Even Emilio, the former head of the USCIS told congress they can only store your fingerprints for 15 months, sure didn't store ours, we had to make another 450 mile trip only after eleven months. Not sure of that computer file size, but can't be that large.

Also thought we had an uncommon last name, but was invited to facebook and found over 800 people on their with the same last name. That was a shock, and these are only the people with access to a computer and on facebook? Now if you have a common last name, that can be crazy for keeping track of who you are with a mixup of other not so nice people with the same first, middle, and last name.

Alien number seems to be the key form of identification, but less than a billion different numbers, its a nine digit number and difficult to tell if it is sequential, but can see reasons why there can be mix ups in that as well. Certainly can't be one guy assigning these, couldn't keep up with it. Lots of room for screw ups, but you pay the price.

Some good news in my part. Yesterday afternoon, I called USCIS at 800 number and spoke to a 2nd level Immigration office. I was told that my case is in queue for Oath; the request for oath was only made yesterday. Now I need to wait for that oath letter, I believe it when I see it.

Some good news in my part. Yesterday afternoon, I called USCIS at 800 number and spoke to a 2nd level Immigration office. I was told that my case is in queue for Oath; the request for oath was only made yesterday. Now I need to wait for that oath letter, I believe it when I see it.

Great news! How long altogether from the time you were interviewed, I am guessing approx 5 wks? Also, how did you manage to speak with the 2nd level IO? I am planning to do the same thing for my mom, was going to call the misinformation line yesterday.

You have nothing to worry about it now, you have been approved and letter should be coming up. Congratulations!

Great news! How long altogether from the time you were interviewed, I am guessing approx 5 wks? Also, how did you manage to speak with the 2nd level IO? I am planning to do the same thing for my mom, was going to call the misinformation line yesterday.

You have nothing to worry about it now, you have been approved and letter should be coming up. Congratulations!

It has been a little over 5 weeks since my interview. I called USCIS a few times in past but i did not have any luck getting transfered. However, this time I found a nice lady and told her that I need more specific informations about my case (if they recieved the missing file)so she transfered me to IO. To my surprise I was told my case was approved and is in queue for oath. Your mom will probably hear from them around the same time if not sooner.

It has been a little over 5 weeks since my interview. I called USCIS a few times in past but i did not have any luck getting transfered. However, this time I found a nice lady and told her that I need more specific informations about my case (if they recieved the missing file)so she transfered me to IO. To my surprise I was told my case was approved and is in queue for oath. Your mom will probably hear from them around the same time if not sooner.

I have been doing research on this thing online, it seems like most people with the "decision cannot yet be made" result takes about 3 to 5 weeks before a determination is made on their cases and they physically received an oath letter. Yeah, I really hope that my mom will get her decision also around the same time...

Thanks for sharing! Congrats again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.