martinbr

What happens if my wife's visa expires?

7 posts in this topic

I have a hypothetical question regarding my wife's CR1 visa if it expires before I get my step childs approved. As you all know, my stepchild ran into a snag with the medical. That should only take a few months. The real problem is that I haven't found a job yet. I have been looking and applying online everyday for jobs. But no one is just hiring right now. A month has already gone by since she was interviewed. I take the visa starts the day that she passed the interview. So since she had her interview on 06/28 she has just a little over 5 months on the visa. What happens then if I can't get the child passed along this timeframe?

Would I have to start all over again, or just pay the fees for the medical and visa fees again? Can someone lead me into the right direction where I can aquire this information?

thanks,

martinbr

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Have they actually issued her the Visa? They should wait to issue it until the kid is also approved (which will happen as long as Mom is and the child passes the medical).

You wife/asawa will need to go to the USEM to have her visa extended if it gets close to expiring. I do not remember the fee but it is listed on the USEM website somewhere.

The other option is for her to come to the us and wait for the greencard before returning to the philippines to accompany her child.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Have they actually issued her the Visa? They should wait to issue it until the kid is also approved (which will happen as long as Mom is and the child passes the medical).

Yes, she has visa in her hand. I have no idea why they DID NOT reschedule her appointmet after the child underwent treatment. Apparantly they don't care. Maybe it has someting to do with how long this process has been going on.

martinbr

You wife/asawa will need to go to the USEM to have her visa extended if it gets close to expiring. I do not remember the fee but it is listed on the USEM website somewhere.

The other option is for her to come to the us and wait for the greencard before returning to the philippines to accompany her child.

Thank you. That is probably what I will have to do if need be. When my stepchild goes back for interview, I can have my wife's visa extended for approx the same duration of my stepchilds. That would give me a little more time to get it together here.

martinbr

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Actually, as she has a CR-1 Visa she could turn around and get on the next flight to the PH because she'll get the I-551 stamp in her passport.

Of course the downs to this are the child being without mom for a while & the added expense of a round-trip flight for her.

Actually, as she has a CR-1 Visa she could turn around and get on the next flight to the PH because she'll get the I-551 stamp in her passport.

Of course the downs to this are the child being without mom for a while & the added expense of a round-trip flight for her.

Nope, that isn't going to work. She needs to be with daughter. Plus like you have mentioned, the cost factor. They had to take a boat up to Manila the first time. I imagine it's going to be the same when we go back and get my stepchild's medical exam and interview.

Like someone mentioned, the best plan at this stage if any and it comes down to that is to get a extension on my wife's visa at the time. I am hoping it isn't going to have to resort to that.

Thanks everyone for your help as always..

martinbr

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.