rlogan

How to Deal with your Marriage Critics Effectively

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Bob, you started an open thread giving your opinion and criticism of how to deal other people's criticism of your marriage. I gave you mine. I'll even go further in saying that after reading your blog site where you prop your young Filipina wife up like a trophy, you'll get no sympathy from me over whatever real or perceived criticism you've encountered from outsiders. I'm shaking my head in disbelief over your long, drawn out indignation of outside criticism when you openly and unabashedly regard your spouse as if she were a piece of meat. Unbelievable.

"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism." ~ Gilbert K Chesterton

Edited by El Buscador

My husband and I always have activities that allow me to meet his friends and co-workers. And if there is a male critic among them, that critic ended up being envious of my husband.

My hubby dont have to explain why he married me.

K1 Process:

May 1, 2008 Submitted I-129F to CSC

May 8, 2008 Received by CSC

May 9, 2008 NOA1

May 18, 2008 Touched

October 9, 2008 RFE

October 28, 2008 RFE Reply

October 29, 2008 Touched

October 30, 2008 Touched

November 1, 2008 NOA2 (HardCopy)

November 11, 2008 Letter from NVC (Hardcopy)

November 14 & 17, 2008 Medical (Passed)

November 26, 2008 Interview (Passed)

December 5, 2008 Visa Received

December 23, 2008 US Entry (POE: Hawaii)

February 7, 2009 Private Wedding

AOS Process:

March 9, 2009 Mailed AOS Application via Express Mail (I-485, I-765, I-131)

March 10, 2009 USPS confirmed that AOS application was delivered and received in Chicago

March 18, 2009 Received NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

April 8, 2009 Biometrics Done

April 27, 2009 AP Approved

May 1, 2009 AP received in the mail

May 2, 2009 EAD card received in the mail

May 29, 2009 AOS interview (Approved)

June 29, 2009 GC received

ROC Process

March 1, 2011 Mailed I-175 Application via Express Mail

March 4 ,2011 NOA for I-175

April 05,2011 Biometrics [Early Biometrics March 22, 2011]

April 21,2011 Approval

April 27,2011 10 Year Green Card Received

Naturalization Process

March 6, 2012 Mailed N-400 Application via Express Mail

[/size]

My husband and I are both Filipinos, raised in the Philippines until he has to come here in the US before turning 21..we dated for a short time way back when I was 17 and he was 18 when we were both in Nursing school at one of the top 4 universities in the Philippines.. BUT STILL, people questioned and continues to question our relationship, not only by his friends but his parents too! OH WELL...

Our K-1 Visa Journey

2009-10-21 : I-129F Sent

2009-10-23 : I-129F NOA1

2010-01-19 : RFE Hard Copy Received

2010-01-22 : RFE Reply Received by CSC

2010-01-29 : I-129F NOA2

2010-02-04 : NVC Received

2010-02-09 : NVC Left

2010-02-12 : Consulate Received (per DHL website)

2010-02-21 : Interview Scheduled for March 15

2010-02-22 : Packet Received From USEM (Eligibility to Schedule an Interview)

2010-03-02 : Medical Exam

2010-03-15 : Interview APPROVED

2010-03-17 : Visa Picked-up at the USEM

2010-03-19 : CFO Seminar

2010-03-24 : POE - LAX

2010-04-08 : Applied for SSN

2010-04-16 : SSN Received

2010-06-08 : Married

Our AOS Journey

2010-07-09 : AOS Package Sent

2010-07-16 : NOA1 (I-485, I-765 and I-131)

2010-07-26 : Biometrics Appointment Letter Received

2010-08-05 : Biometrics Completed

2010-08-12 : Interview Appointment Letter Received

2010-09-03 : I-512L, Authorization for Parole Received

2010-09-08 : EAD Card Received

2010-09-15 : AOS Interview APPROVED

2010-09-25 : GC Received

Our ROC Journey

2012-07-06 : ROC Package Sent

2012-07-09 : I-751 NOA1

2012-07-18 : Bio Appt Letter Received (for 8/7)

2012-07-25 : Rescheduled Bio Appt Letter Received (for 8/20)

2012-08-20 : Biometrics Completed

2013-03-01 : APPROVED

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Bob, you started an open thread giving your opinion and criticism of how to deal other people's criticism of your marriage. I gave you mine. I'll even go further in saying that after reading your blog site where you prop your young Filipina wife up like a trophy, you'll get no sympathy from me over whatever real or perceived criticism you've encountered from outsiders. I'm shaking my head in disbelief over your long, drawn out indignation of outside criticism when you openly and unabashedly regard your spouse as if she were a piece of meat. Unbelievable.

"What embitters the world is not excess of criticism, but an absence of self-criticism." ~ Gilbert K Chesterton

Thank you again once more, El Buscador for that excellent covert-aggressive tactic the psychologists call "shaming". Our audience needs to see a covert-aggressor in action.

We are "invited" to feel shame. If the victim falls for the tactic, he is put on the defensive and tries in vain to convince the aggressor that his characterization is unfair.

But no person knows better than the covert aggressor himself the unfairness ofv the accusation. He specifically chooses unfair accusations because the ONLY point is to put you on the defensive. If you react defensively, you'll just get more.

This is a person that has quite a bit of practice at putting other people down while covering his motivations with the pretense of being "helpful". There's a lot packed into a small space. Impressive.

We have the framing we are asking him for "sympathy" for "perceived" criticism. Your aggressor is relentless in putting you in a one-down position. Hence the need to create an illusion that we have come to him asking him for his approval. That's the last thing your aggressor would ever do.

The accusation of hypocrisy was nicely done. This is beautiful because here we have the aggressor practicing the OP topic: trying to push for an empotional, defensive response for your young, beautiful Filipina. Isn't that cute?

The tactic of "minimization" is used here where you are framed has having only one interest in your wife - the meat part. You are supposed to get on the defensive and beg for his approval that she is more than that.

It was cunning to level the accusation of hypocrisy simultaneously. It required framing me as a person "complaining" and seeking "sympathy" in the OP instead of someone who is showing you how to deal with a person like this.

So to put the whole packaged together, our aggressor starts with the false framing that you are complaining and seeking sympathy for marriage critics instead of showing people how to contend with it. Then we have our relationship with our wife minimized to "just a piece of meat". It is capped off with the accusation of hypocrisy. A triple whammy! :)

It is important to jump up and down screeching with terminology like "unbelievable". An aggressor knows how to display different emotions to manipulate. They might feign anger, outrage, disbelief, etc. in order to get the intended victim to question themselves.

Then the finishing touch to it all: a repeat of aggression-denial with the quotation. There's no problem with the aggressor criticising you, the problem is you don't criticise yourself enough.

Thanks again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.