Lili

Problem with SSA and IRS

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I already posted in the I-751 subforum but figured someone might have experienced this.

As I am preparing my packet for I-751, I requested my tax transcripts for 2008 and 2009. When I received them, they showed my maiden name which I no longer use since 2008. I have made the change with SSA in 2008 and received an updated SS card shortly after. Of course, I filled 2008 and 2009 returns under my married name.

So I called the IRS, when they looked up their system they saw that my maiden name was in the "first place" and my married name in the "second place". And the IRS is only picking up the first one. So I have to go to SSA and get them to fix the mess. The IRS says that it will take 3 to 4 months to have the IRS database updated by the change that SSA makes.

I am going to the SSA office tomorrow to try to get this fixed. But is this going to cause a problem with USCIS? And do I need to do anything further after the update with SSA?

AOS Approved on 10-17-08 (details in profile)

Removal of Conditions on 07-19-10

In this tedious process, we tend to forget that this is all worth it.

I love my hubby beyond anything in this world.

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I already posted in the I-751 subforum but figured someone might have experienced this.

As I am preparing my packet for I-751, I requested my tax transcripts for 2008 and 2009. When I received them, they showed my maiden name which I no longer use since 2008. I have made the change with SSA in 2008 and received an updated SS card shortly after. Of course, I filled 2008 and 2009 returns under my married name.

So I called the IRS, when they looked up their system they saw that my maiden name was in the "first place" and my married name in the "second place". And the IRS is only picking up the first one. So I have to go to SSA and get them to fix the mess. The IRS says that it will take 3 to 4 months to have the IRS database updated by the change that SSA makes.

I am going to the SSA office tomorrow to try to get this fixed. But is this going to cause a problem with USCIS? And do I need to do anything further after the update with SSA?

Not sure what is going on, but the data IRS uses to verify your SSN and name when you file taxes comes from your SSN record. If you filed taxes and your name was correct on your W-2 if you had one and you entered the name correctly on the forms when you filed and the same name is on your SSN record not sure what could be the problem. I would check your SSN record with SSA and if it is correct, they can send an electronic message to IRS through the SSNAP program that should update your records at IRS with the info from your current SSN record. I believe that takes a couple weeks for the IRS record to update. Now if it turns out that your SSN record is wrong, you will need to first correct it.

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

Not sure what is going on, but the data IRS uses to verify your SSN and name when you file taxes comes from your SSN record. If you filed taxes and your name was correct on your W-2 if you had one and you entered the name correctly on the forms when you filed and the same name is on your SSN record not sure what could be the problem. I would check your SSN record with SSA and if it is correct, they can send an electronic message to IRS through the SSNAP program that should update your records at IRS with the info from your current SSN record. I believe that takes a couple weeks for the IRS record to update. Now if it turns out that your SSN record is wrong, you will need to first correct it.

That is what the lady did when I went to SSA. She tried to resubmit it. She said when she tried doing that, she noticed that USCIS had my maiden name which is most likely the cause of all my problems. I have an infopass next week to hopefully have it fixed.

She wasn't able to put the update through, except by using my maiden name. So my ssn is under my married, so is my green card but not the USCIS database. :) Fun, huh? :)

That is what the lady did when I went to SSA. She tried to resubmit it. She said when she tried doing that, she noticed that USCIS had my maiden name which is most likely the cause of all my problems. I have an infopass next week to hopefully have it fixed.

She wasn't able to put the update through, except by using my maiden name. So my ssn is under my married, so is my green card but not the USCIS database. :) Fun, huh? :)

I don't see what USCIS records have to do with your IRS record, because as I said IRS uses SSA records to verify your name and SSN when you file taxes.

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

Hey I Quit,

I am just relaying what the lady at SSA told me. When she tried to send the verification to the IRS, she hit a snag because of USCIS. The system wouldn't allow her to do it under my married name. She said something about having to do it with my maiden name in order to go through. She said it wouldn't let her do it with my married name due to the conflict with USCIS database. She explained to me and showed me on her screen that as far as SSA is concerned, they have my married name in their system. She even gave me a verification letter with my married name on it. She said that as soon as USCIS fixed their records, to come back to SSA and have them send a new verification to the IRS.

When I applied for my AOS two years ago, I filed the paperwork under my maiden name. At the interview, I mentioned to the immigration officer that I wanted to start using my married name. She said no problem. I received the approval notices and green card under married name. I think somehow, USCIS may be stuck with my maiden name in their system. I dunno. :(

Is she sending me on a wild goose chase?

Edited by Lili

Is she sending me on a wild goose chase?

Yes.

There was no need to look at your immigration status to do an IRS Update. If the information on your SSN record (name and date of birth) was correct, go back to the SSA office and speak to a manager. Tell him or her that you need an IRS Update sent through SSNAP and to check the SSNAP Users Guide if they don't know what you are talking about.

Edited by I Quit

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey I Quit,

I am just relaying what the lady at SSA told me.

There's the problem right there.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Thank you, I quit for taking the time to reply.

I guess they did do an update on Friday, it may take a while for the IRS system to get updated. I guess I must have misunderstood her on Friday because they submitted it under my married name. This is frustrating to say the least.

I am going to cancel the USCIS appointment and make an in-person appointment with the IRS. SSA has shown me multiple times their screens and how it is correct. So with the confirmation letters (the one affirming that this social security matches this name), I am going to talk to the IRS and ask them to fix my returns.

In the meantime, I am going to file my I-751 and provide copies of what I filed not the IRS transcripts. I hope this eventually get straightened out.

Thank you, I quit for taking the time to reply.

I guess they did do an update on Friday, it may take a while for the IRS system to get updated. I guess I must have misunderstood her on Friday because they submitted it under my married name.

If they did send the electronic update to IRS, I believe it takes a couple weeks for the IRS record to be corrected.

Timeline

If they did send the electronic update to IRS, I believe it takes a couple weeks for the IRS record to be corrected.

Would presenting a verification letter in person override the need for the electronic update? Thanks I quit for your help.

Would presenting a verification letter in person override the need for the electronic update? Thanks I quit for your help.

Don't know how things run at IRS. I guess you could ask, but why the rush? Is your 2 year Green Card that close to expiring?

Edited by I Quit

Timeline

Don't know how things run at IRS. I guess you could ask, but why the rush? Is your 2 year Green Card that close to expiring?

My 90 day window to remove the conditions just opened. I may wait a week or two to meet with the IRS. If USCIS ever ask, I will tell them what is going on. It is not like I am using somebody else's name. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

Edited by Lili

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.