minme

Name change and Driver's License

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Two completely separate issues:

1. Changing my wife's name

We went to the SSO today and they told us that we need to notify USCIS regarding the name change before they can do anything. We went to the USCIS office and set up an appointment to do so. I have not sent in the AOS packet yet.

Thoughts? Any supporting documents that I may need to make things go more smoothly?

2. Driver's license/permit (located in NJ, so those laws apply)

My wife has an expired Brazilian driver's license, and we currently live in NJ. We have our 6 points ready, and I checked the DMV website (details below). I'm not too sure what to make of it - will she get a license or a permit? Also, if her SSN has her old name on it (because of problem #1), will her license have her old name, or can we use the marriage certificate to display the new name?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/LicensesNon-Citizens.htm

How to obtain your basic New Jersey driver license

You must also provide proof by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, authorizing your presence in the country. In order the obtain the permit, you will need to bring your foreign license and present the documents required to pass the 6 Point ID Verification.

You must also provide proof by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service, authorizing your presence in the country and confirming validity of your foreign license. If you cannot show proof of driving experience you will be subject to the GDL Program requirements.

After you get the permit, visit any Driver Testing Center to take a vision test, knowledge test and possibly a road test if required.

You are not required to surrender your foreign license when MVC issues your New Jersey driver license.

Thanks for your help!

PS - if anyone here is from NJ, does your marriage certificate display the new name for the bride? Mine only has the maiden name, and the secretary told me that is correct. We can use it as evidence that the name can be changed. Does that sound right?

AOS, EAD, AP:

07-22-10 : Sent packet

07-23-10 : Delivered

07-29-10 : NOA1 (all 3)

08-31-10 : Biometrics appt

08-31-10 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

Touched 09-01-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-03-10 : Transfer hard copy

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

09-13-10 : I-765 & I-131 Approved!

Touched 09-17-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-17-10 : I-512 Received (AP)

09-20-10 : Received EAD

10-20-10 : AOS Approved!!

10-21-10 : AOS Card Production

10-28-10 : Green Card Received!

07-2012 : Apply for Lifting of conditions

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would strongly suggest that you get a driver's license in her maiden name first, before you start your AOS. I'm not sure how things work in NJ, but in Michigan, I've had lots of troubles with getting a driver's license because the name on my immigration documents after I sent for AOS (married name) and my ssn (maiden name) don't match. Her driver's license may only be valid until her I94 expires and then she may have to wait for her green card to get a new one, depending on how SS office handles her name change.

I'm not sure if USCIS will do anything about it until you actually apply for AOS, but you'll find out when you go for your appt. I hope you don't have any problems with doing any of this, but in my experiences it has been a big headache.

0vi7t8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion. What about SS name change? Does that have to happen after we get the green card?

AOS, EAD, AP:

07-22-10 : Sent packet

07-23-10 : Delivered

07-29-10 : NOA1 (all 3)

08-31-10 : Biometrics appt

08-31-10 : I-485 case transferred to CSC

Touched 09-01-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-03-10 : Transfer hard copy

Touched 09-09-10 (I-485)

09-13-10 : I-765 & I-131 Approved!

Touched 09-17-10 (I-485 and I-765)

09-17-10 : I-512 Received (AP)

09-20-10 : Received EAD

10-20-10 : AOS Approved!!

10-21-10 : AOS Card Production

10-28-10 : Green Card Received!

07-2012 : Apply for Lifting of conditions

You may not be able to process any changes with your SS until you received your GC. In the mean time you don’t need to worry about that since you have to return there when you get your actual card [GC].

Even if you wife had an international permit with a valid driver license, it will be no good in the estate of NJ - Not good in the aspect of conversions.

Your wife will have to start from scratch, getting her learner's permit and then getting her DL.. [follow guidelines for the state of NJ].

The idea is to process all her documents based on her new married name.. I am sure you will submit your AOS package accordingly.

"Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all. Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity. It is right and it is duty." -- NAPF page on Oscar Romero

Wife'sTime Line My link

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks for the suggestion. What about SS name change? Does that have to happen after we get the green card?

Some people have managed to get it changed with EAD card, or even before, as long as you've filed for AOS. It hasn't worked for me, so I'm not sure if it will work for you.

0vi7t8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.